Author Topic: Thornit users - advice please  (Read 1610 times)

Offline picklesmum

• Site Member
Thornit users - advice please
« on: May 13, 2004, 09:54:25 AM »
Hi there. Pickle has very itchy ears, so I have got him some Thornit, and have used it in his ears for a couple of days now (doesn't seem to be working yet  :( , but I'll perservere)
However, what I'm not sure about is applying it to his paws. It says I should do this if he bites his paws (he does) but I'm not sure how much to apply, and whether it should go under, ie round his pads, or on top? I presume it wont do him any harm if he proceeds to chew his paws once I've applied it?
Feeling very sorry for the wee lamb, as he is constantly scratching/biting at the moment (definitely no fleas - check twice a day!) :(
Emma and Pickle xx                    

scoobie

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 02:42:40 PM »
Hi Emma you will need to carry on using thornit for five days in the ears and please only use small amounts :) that's what they say on the bumf that comes with the thornit
I have used it before on scoobies paws and it didn't really work for him so I dunked his paw in diluted dettol and warm water and bathed it with cotton wool and that stopped him itching :) I don't really know how much thornit to apply to pickles paws I guess just a little and massage it where it's neccessary
I hope he gets better very soon I really do sympathise because it drives them crazy :cry:
Hope this helps
Edith and scoobie                    

Offline mrs hamster

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 10:58:00 PM »
Not tried on bon bons paws but after about 6-7 days it really has worked on her ears.

We had to use a syringe to get it in her lugs though!!! :lol:  :lol:
jane                    
Dull women have immaculate homes

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 02:22:35 AM »
I always thought it shouldn't go right into their ears                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline mrs hamster

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 11:54:30 PM »
where should it go then :shock:

Its cured our little girl and we put it as far in her earoles as poss!!
jane                    
Dull women have immaculate homes

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2004, 09:08:56 PM »
You have to be careful as it can concrete in their ears, which your vet might see if they look down them properly (this happened to Ruby!). Someone on here might be better able to advise as while its good you have to be careful.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2004, 06:51:52 AM »
I think as long as you are careful and don't use too much, the Thornit disolves in the ear with the moisture, so you don't get a build up!

I've been using it on my lot for some time now and never had a problem!                    

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2004, 06:39:44 PM »
I find that I only ever need to apply it once - certainly not for 5 consecutive days.  I firstly clean the ears well with a proprietary ear cleaner (Logic make a good one).  Thoroughly wipe all the brown bits away.
Then I use a mustard spoon and get a tiny amount on it and sort of tip it into the ear, the head should be firmly held in a bent over position so that the ear is facing upwards,and then massage the ear well (they love that part). :lol:                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!