Author Topic: Advice please - so upset - dog bit delivery man's fingers  (Read 6020 times)

Offline Mittens

• Rock Steady Eddie
Advice please - so upset - dog bit delivery man's fingers
« on: August 19, 2014, 04:16:47 PM »
Hi, I just need some advice please....

I've just had the most awful incident - a man collected a parcel and was fluffing about writing the receipt, he said don't worry I'll post it through the box (was in dressing gown as just got out of shower). I ran upstairs then heard banging on the door and when i opened it he said a dog had bit his finger as he posted the card....he must have put his fingers right into the slot! It was bleeding - but he said it might be broken (although i felt that kind of damage would have been done when he yanked his hand out of the slot?)...I am and was utterly mortified, can't stop crying as neither dog has ever ever gone to bite anyone, although one does run off with the post from the doormat.... he's headed to hospital for a tetanus and says he is going to report it....i'm so scared what might happen now?

Tracey, Eddie and Ruby

Offline Walshies

• Fudge - our lovely chocolate boy
    • Masarnen Ramblers
Re: Advice please - so upset - dog bit delivery man's fingers
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 05:02:14 PM »
He sounds a right old drama queen.

I would just see if he contacts you and go from there.  There will be someone on here who will have sound advice for you I am sure.

In the meantime try not to make it worse by tying yourself up in knots about it.
Check out our website at www.masarnenramblers.com

Offline Flames129

• My life isn't complete without a dog at my feet.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 05:07:31 PM »
My advice...

Go have a very sugary drink. Like a tea with sugar or something. You could be experiencing shock.
This will help relax you. 

Make sure your dog is also relaxed as he will pick up on your emotions.

Im sure it will be fine. The guy will prob get home and tell his mates down the pub and take it no further. He sounds like he has a lot of hot air but I highly doubt anything will come of it.

Focus on relaxing yourself and your furbaby. :)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 05:31:00 PM »
You have a dog that bites at the mail.  He didn't mean to bite a person, he wanted to get the mail. 

It's a shame that the delivery man has taken it this way and wants to take it further.  I don't think that anyone could think you have a dangerous dog but as a recognition that this could happen again I would purchase a cage to go over your letter slot to prevent any further incidents  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 05:33:55 PM »
What evidence do you have that either dog bit him? Or that if one did, he hadn't provoked it? Its his word against yours and he could easily have caught a finger on something in the letter box or a previous delivery...some folk make a living out of this sort of thing, sadly - and always at the expense of someone else.

Years ago a neighbour complained to the Police that I had a "nasty, viscious dog" the Police arrived to find my GSDx Lab rolling on his back expecting a tummy tickle... He was also the adopted Regimental mascot for the OHs work.   Needless to say they left to have a word with the neighbour about wasting their tiime.

Sweet tea is good advice.  Dave's comment of the delivery driver being a Drama Queen is spot on

Hopefully by the time he's got into his van and driven somewhere he will have calmed down and let's it go

This could so easily be any of us - my heart goes out to you, I can only imagine how upset you must be

Jayne
X

Offline tenaille

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 06:44:01 PM »
I should think the absolute worst that could happen is that the delivery company could insist you provide a suitable letter box that will protect the delivery mans fingers, thats not really unreasonable if he was actually nipped.  Many dogs snap at things coming through the letterbox, It's quite normal and a delivery man should expect it.  We had a sort of incident when Beau and I were in the front garden and a delivery man came in through the front gate,  Beau had a bark at him whereupon the delivery man claimed Beau had tried to bite him. I pointed out that the dog hadn't gone close to him at all but the man still muttered about reporting us - that was a year ago and not surprisingly nothing has happened.

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 06:53:17 PM »
You have a dog that bites at the mail.  He didn't mean to bite a person, he wanted to get the mail. 

It's a shame that the delivery man has taken it this way and wants to take it further.  I don't think that anyone could think you have a dangerous dog but as a recognition that this could happen again I would purchase a cage to go over your letter slot to prevent any further incidents  ;)

Was going to say exactly the same...

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 07:30:56 PM »

Was going to say exactly the same...
Absolutely agree..... if they do contact you then you can say you've taken steps to ensure it doesn't happen again.  But at the end of the days, anyone actually sticking their fingers through my letter box would get the same treatment because Maggie takes the mail...
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Sirius Mum

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 07:38:14 PM »

As others have said this is a sensible precaution which shows you've taken things seriously but I hope he'll calm down and get on with his day. I'm sure he was shocked and grumpy but time will help him calm down and get some perspective. You poor thing what a rotten shock .
 :bigarmhug:

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 07:59:26 PM »
Louis snatches anything that comes through the letterbox and I'm sure that would include fingers. Because of the layout of our hall I can't fit one of those wire cage things over the letterbox, so I have a babygate across the hall so that neither dog has access to the letterbox or door.

I think if the man makes an official complaint it's possible you may be contacted by the police or dog warden, so if you can have something fitted to the letterbox or an outside letterbox fitted asap, you can show that you've already taken action to stop something similar happening again.

Looking at it from the delivery man's point of view, he had no reason to think that he might get bitten, so I expect he was shocked as well as in pain when it happened and I'm sure his instinctive reaction was to pull his hand back, which could have made the injury worse. But what else could he do?

I'm sure that most of us dog owners would think twice about putting our fingers through a letterbox with a dog the other side of it, but people who don't have dogs might not realise. If this man is employed by a delivery company he may have had some kind of safety briefing or guide from his employer. So if he makes a complaint that might be something you could follow up. But if he's self employed, as many of these drivers are, he might have no idea that some dogs snatch things that come through the letterbox, and he might lose income if he can't drive or handle parcels for a few days, which is another reason he might make a complaint.

Hopefully nothing will come of it and the man will have got over the shock of it by now and will feel calmer and will just make a mental note not to do the same thing again. Even if it's followed up I really don't see that your dogs will be labelled as dangerous. But taking steps to ensure it doesn't happen again is sensible just in case it's followed up.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 08:03:20 PM »
Did he actually have teeth marks? On the many occasions I have been bitten by Harry when he was new to us and traumatised, there was always very clear teeth/bite marks which then bruised later.

Not being funny but some of those letter boxes can grab at your fingers and pinch, I can't see a cocker biting fingers through a letterbox would break a finger  :dunno:   A dog grabbing the post is more likely to nip the ends of his fingers and I would be amazed if it was hard enough to draw blood.

I don't think he can do a lot your dog was on your property, and inside your house under control!! A mesh cover would soon stop anything like that happening again and leave no room for doubt. Try not to worry too much

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 08:11:29 PM »
There's a good point starting to come through.... Why would anyone who delivers parcels for a living, knowingly, put their fingers through a letter box when they already knew there were dogs in the house?

Odd

Or am I just being cynical?

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 08:31:04 PM »
There's a good point starting to come through.... Why would anyone who delivers parcels for a living, knowingly, put their fingers through a letter box when they already knew there were dogs in the house?

Odd

Or am I just being cynical?
Was thinking the same jayne

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 09:08:02 PM »
Something that's not really been mentioned yet is The Dangerous Dogs Act and the changes that came into effect in May 2014, which extended the Act to include private property instead of just public areas, which is all the Act originally covered.

Effectively it means we all need to be very careful about how people who come on to our private property view the actions and behaviours of our dogs. William is very friendly, but if he jumped up at someone to greet them and they were frightened or his nails scratched their legs, or if he gave a few excited barks and startled them, he could be the subject of a complaint. I've always been careful with Louis, knowing that he's fearful of strangers, but now I make sure that neither dog can get to the door when I open it to anyone but close friends and family.

This gives some advice http://www.nawt.org.uk/sites/default/files/docs/DDA%20Changes%20AdviceF.pdf

mittens, I thought long and hard before posting this tonight, because it won't make encouraging reading for you. But even if a formal complaint is made I'm sure that common sense would prevail in this sort of incident. There's a huge difference between this and a genuinely dangerous dog.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 09:25:05 PM »
Thanks for posting this Elaine there is a lot of info there I wasn't aware of, so it is useful to know. I actually think it is helpful for mittens as well, as like you say common sense would prevail in this sort of incident and currently it is a hard enough job for police and dog wardens to keep up with genuinely serious dog attacks.
 If it were me and it was taken further, just having read this info shows responsibility as a dog owner along with putting proactive solutions into place such the guard on the letterbox.
Like others say I bet it won't go any further, but even if it were to, I would imagine authorities would see this was a genuine accident rather than a dog attack, and treat it as such.