Author Topic: Dogs barking early in the morning  (Read 718 times)

Offline heatherAnn

Dogs barking early in the morning
« on: September 06, 2014, 11:23:55 AM »
Hi
I have two cockers Holly who is 6 and Sam 5.   They are terrible for barking
first thing in the morning (6 am) when we first put them out.  >:D We have tried
various things like putting Holly on the lead (she is the instigator) that only
lasts a while and then she is doing it again, on lead.    We have an enclosed
garden but we and they know   ;)that foxes, cats hedgehogs etc come in the garden
at night, so in the morning the rush out, pulling me with them cause they get the
smells and they go ballistic !!! Even trying to calm them down before they go out, that
seems worse.  I tell them to sit and wait.  I unlock the doors tell them to wait, put
Holly on lead and out they charge, by this time sam I all ago and is barking at Holly
to come on, come on lets go.!!! >:D  I would welcome any advice. Thanks Heather Ann
Holly and Sam's mummy x

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Dogs barking early in the morning
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 11:41:12 AM »
Have you tried letting them out one at a time?

Or could you prepare their breakfasts, put the food bowls down, open the door while they're eating and see if they can manage to eat and then go out once the door is already open. Just might take away the excitement of them waiting for you to open the door.

Offline lettie10

• Jazz & Bailey
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 01:37:41 PM »
I was going to suggest one at a time too.  Mine don't always bark but if I let them go out together it can be a bit of a race to see who can get through the door to the smells first which results in barking.  If I hold Bailey back (Jazz is always most desperate to pee) and let Jazz go on her own she is always silent.

Bailey is then allowed to go immediately, honestly the time between them is just a couple seconds but it does work for mine.
"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Offline heatherAnn

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 01:53:06 PM »
LOL   Have tried the breakfast first that was ok for a while but then yesterday and this morning
Sam finished his first and was waiting for Holly and there it started 'come on come on' !!! :005:

I will try taking them out separate on the lead. I could ring their necks >:( It is worse in the
dark mornings.

Holly is the barker.  She has to only to hear the 'ting' at the end of the Tesco advert and she is off.
Your saying what 'Ting'.  You listen it is at the very end. 
She has done it since she was a pup.  Must admit as she has gotten older, she now sometimes
just sits and whines as if she has to acknowledge that she hears it.   We also live near a hospital
and if the alarm goes off (High pitched) she goes nuts!!! 

OK will try the separate thing and let you know how I get on!!  Thanks again.
Holly and Sam's mummy x

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 02:00:10 PM »
Hi , have you tried training a shush camand.Cloe is a barker so I have trained her to stop barking when I say shhhhhh.

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 03:55:34 PM »
Hi , have you tried training a shush camand.Cloe is a barker so I have trained her to stop barking when I say shhhhhh.

I have always used the " shush/no" the second I think they will bark.  This I have done over the last umpteen years with 4 dogs, the present, dog 4 1/2 years old Kez, has been trying it lately but "shush/No" seems to stop it.
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 05:31:15 PM »
I have six waiting at my door to rush out, waiting to unlock the door seems to get them in excited mode, resulting in a mad rush and bark. I now open the door before they are in the kitchen and it is much better.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 08:26:22 PM »
Have you tried letting them out one at a time?

Or could you prepare their breakfasts, put the food bowls down, open the door while they're eating and see if they can manage to eat and then go out once the door is already open. Just might take away the excitement of them waiting for you to open the door.

Exactly this.

In addition, I also use tiny kibble either scattering them inside whilst I open the door so they don't rush at the door or scatter them just outside the door so they break and sniff as soon as they step outside. Both works quite well.

Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk