Author Topic: lipoma  (Read 853 times)

Offline irened

lipoma
« on: March 15, 2018, 08:59:03 AM »
My Jarvis has developed a lipoma, the vet checked it out and confirmed it was on. He is raw fed so I can't improve his diet much more I have been looking up dietary supplements such as probiotics, flaxseed etc all that help with the immune system and flush out toxins. has anyone tried and succeeded in reducing lipomas or is it something that just comes with age.

Offline David Morgan

Re: lipoma
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 11:09:23 AM »
Our Molly has been getting these over the last few years. The vet has removed a couple and said they were harmlessly benign. It hadn't occurred to us that there may be ways of reducing the chance of Molly getting more, the vet has not discussed this, but if anybody has suggestions, we would be interested also.

Curiously, her "twin" brother Murphy does not get them to the same extent and they've had an identical diet since Gotcha Day; supplemented by whatever horrors Molly can find when we're out.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 05:52:46 PM »
Our lab got theses harmless fatty lumps. I don't think they can get smaller, and I've never heard of them being diet related.but I may  be wrong here, it was years ago.     I wish I hadn't had them removed . One on the side of her  ribs was removed but the op sirte kept filling with fluid which had to be drained regularly. Much bigger than the lump. A lipoma is always under the top skin layer and never attached to the body, you can feel right round them. Nasty ones are attached.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 08:48:34 PM »
Max sprouted a fatty lump on his side when he was around five. Scared me silly, but the vet said just to monitor it, so we did. Never changed and it never bothered him.

Offline irened

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 07:00:38 AM »
Thanks, all. must say it sent a shiver done my spine when I found it but a quick trip to the vet put my mind at rest. I am going to start him on a pro/prebiotics and flaxseed oil which will build up his immunity and help his joints as he gets older. I was going to do this before I found the lump but if by any miracle it does help that is a bonus. lucky that my vets have an holistic vet on site who recommends things that may help.

Offline irened

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 06:55:56 AM »
For the past 3 days, Jarvis has been having some supplements. 1 tablespoon of camomile tea on his morning food and a probiotic then on his evening meal he has been having 5 ml proflax flaxseed blend which helps bones and joints and the immune system and helps rid the body of any toxins. He loves the flaxseed oil.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 06:56:17 PM »
Do hope that Jarvis is helped by this and that he likes his flaxseed

I am with him there - I have a spoonful on my cereal of ground linseed which is the same thing every morning.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 04:26:26 PM »
I don't think anything will reduce the lipoma's as it's something cockers are very prone to and they all seem to start at around the age of 6.  I also don't think there is a link to feeding - both raw fed dogs and kibble fed dogs will get them.  It's just one of those things.

Unless they affect their mobility I think it's best to accept them and just get on with it.  My Jarvis is now nearly 13 -  he has had one removed on his side when he was getting another procedure done a couple of years ago but that is now growing back.  He also has another one on his hip.  It's not affecting any movement so we'll leave it as it is. 

Of course if your methods do get rid of lumps then we'd love to know   :D
helen & jarvis x