Author Topic: Blue tongue after exercise  (Read 920 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Blue tongue after exercise
« on: March 13, 2018, 06:33:15 AM »
After quite a lot of jumping around and excitement on Sunday, I noticed Humphrey‘s tongue had gone almost blue. He seemed ok in himself and after short while it went back to normal again. I‘ve had a quick look on google, one site says its not unusual in some dogs after exercise and is nothing to worry about ( although of course there are lots of others suggesting a wide variety of depressing causes) but I‘ve never come across it  before. Does anyone have any experience of this or do you think I need to be concerned? Humphrey‘s nearly 3 and, apart from an undescended testical, is healthy and lively.
I hate running to the vet for every little thing, especially if it „normal“ but I obviously don‘t want to miss anything that could be serious and could  do with a bit of reasurrance.
Thanks!  :D

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Re: Blue tongue after exercise
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 09:14:44 AM »
No experience. It seems logical that their tongues get more intense in colour shen they are panting. Bloodvessels and capillaries will probably expand to increase blodflow for efficient cooling. Like when my cheeks look like tomatoes after running more than three steps. But well oxygenated blood is red, so for blue coloration I would check with a vet just to be on the safe side. But maybe look at his gums next time? If they too have a bluish tint I would be concerned about his oxygen saturation. Good to hear he is still healthy and it went back to normal quickly, can't be too bad even if it is something, probably :) Interested to follow the thread to see if this is just a normal thing in some dogs.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Blue tongue after exercise
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 10:54:10 AM »
No experience. It seems logical that their tongues get more intense in colour shen they are panting. Bloodvessels and capillaries will probably expand to increase blodflow for efficient cooling. Like when my cheeks look like tomatoes after running more than three steps. But well oxygenated blood is red, so for blue coloration I would check with a vet just to be on the safe side. But maybe look at his gums next time? If they too have a bluish tint I would be concerned about his oxygen saturation. Good to hear he is still healthy and it went back to normal quickly, can't be too bad even if it is something, probably :) Interested to follow the thread to see if this is just a normal thing in some dogs.

Thanks Mari, -  I was hoping you'd see the post  ;), its good to get some medically based input! I see your point re the red cheeks, - that makes sense, hadn't thought of it like that. We'd actually set up a sort of agility course for idiots  :lol2: at the dog club and I was also a bit red in the face after racing around in the mud, so it probably was just over exertion on both our parts!!:005:
It doesn't appear to be anything urgent, so I'll keep an eye on it and check with the vet next time we go. Will keep you posted. Many thanks again!