Author Topic: Undescended U know whats lol  (Read 5295 times)

Offline jakieboy

• Site Member
Undescended U know whats lol
« on: March 04, 2003, 10:05:57 PM »
:o

Well took finn for first injection yesterday, and after having a good ol feel the vet told me he only had one.  Now i had felt this myself but hadn't been sure.  Thing is - he then went into some big long thing about cancer, internal investigations to find it, how much more it would cost when neutering etc that i came out of there quite worried.  Checked out the champdogs site and found loads about it on there, and am now quite alright about it and not worried at all - he is only 8 wks after all and the one that has descended wasn't there 3 days ago.  So I am going to leave nature to take it's course and not interfere (not even sure i will neuter him even though i have ebbie - just gonna be extra careful and try the injections if i need to).

Have anyone else had this problem and when did theirs descend so to speak  ::)

Nikki xx

ps - there is another bit to this but i've put that in the genetics bit                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2003, 10:09:34 PM »
Nikki

At 8 weeks he still has time for it to come down. They can cause problems if left "inside" I have heard of them coming down up to 11 months of age - so no rush ;)                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2003, 11:36:07 PM »
Hi Nikki

When I went to pick Morgan up, I went to the vets with his breeder for the final check up (8 weeks) of all the pups and the vet checked and confirmed that both 'U know whats'  ;)were there.

When Morgan went to my own vet three days later he said that there was only one there  ??? - I told him what the other vet said but he still couldn't find the second.  I went home(not really worried 'cos the vet had explained about them sometimes taking quite a while and moving up and down??  If that makes any sense!) and checked a couple of hours later and the second one had reappeared. :D

By the time he went for his second jab and had them checked they were normal.

All seems like such a long time ago - now he thinks he's Jack the Lad  8) - lifting his leg at every opportunity   ;D                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2003, 12:03:04 AM »
Seems this is quite common.....on Jimmy's first visit to the vet I was told that he had one undescended "one". It's a training hospital so about six trainee vets came in to have a "feel".......poor old Jimmy was mortified to have so much interest shown in his nether regions. I just stood there grimacing in sympathy.

By the second visit the other one had descended....must have been at about 10 weeks...so there is hope for Finn yet .                    

Sue H

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2003, 02:29:28 PM »
Bramble's have come down okay, but I'm sure I read an article somewhere about this, but I can't remember whether it was about humans or dogs ::) but in any case the gist of it was that lots of comparative studies have been undertaken regarding the risks of cancer in undescended testes, and they always used to recommend removing them, but they have now found that undescended ones are no more likely to be a problem if they are left where they are.  I just wish I could remember where I read it - sorry :-                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2003, 09:00:41 PM »
Vegas's second one didn't make an appearance until he was 11 weeks. This si very common and the rule of thumb in our practice is that if it still hasn't descended come booster time, it is advised to whip it out. I know someone who booked their GSD in for neutering and to remove the inguinal testicle at the same time but decided at the last minute to just have the inguinal testicle removed. Fair enough, I thought, until I heard later that they are still planning to breed from the dog later on >:(                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline jakieboy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2003, 10:07:39 PM »
Well i am sure i felt 2 in there earlier - they have now both disappeared  :o

I was just annoyed at how the vet tried to scare the life out of me, i knew i had read posts on this before - so came straight on internet and found what i was looking for and then i wasn't worried at all from the health side of it.

Nikki xx                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2003, 10:16:07 PM »
I think the proper name for this condition is a 'unilateral cryptorchid', and yes Sue H you're right in saying that more recent studies show that it does seem to be okay to leave them where they are with far less risk than was historically perceived.  

Of course, being a relatively new study, many vets/breeders still have to be convinced of this, hence their insistence on removing the offending testicle.                    

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2003, 05:21:35 PM »
someone that works with hubby has a lab with only one errm thingy down, his vet has insisted on removing I told them to wait as thats what I had heard was correct, he must be arobt 4 months old??  they are still goin ahead with op though                    

Offline jakieboy

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2003, 10:14:25 PM »
lol well I am pleased to say - finn is now all man  ;) both u know what's are down although for how long for - who knows - as i know they can have a tendency to disappear again.

Nikki xx                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2003, 10:29:50 PM »
That's good news Nikki ;D It's quite normal for them to be up & down like a yoyo at the moment but as long as you've felt 'em, that's ok (just need to convince some vets ;D)                    
Jane