Author Topic: Dull coat  (Read 9442 times)

Offline Jude

• Site Member
Dull coat
« on: September 22, 2002, 04:57:57 PM »
Hi guys

I know you will be able to help because you all love your cockers.  I gave my two little darlings a soaking with Front line for the dreaded fleas.  My girl Tasha who has been neutered seems to have a very dry coat since.  I stripped her out this morning and whilst she is clean she does seem to be very dry.  My boy Chester is fine - abit hairy as he needs to be done next - but I just wonder if there is some treatment I can put on their coat to bring back the shine.  They are not bathed too often.

thanks in advance

Jude                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Dull coat
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2002, 05:12:32 PM »
Hi Jude

I'm not sure if you're saying Tasha's coat is dry after neutering or after treating with Frontline? It's not unusual for a neutered bitch's coat to be on the dry side & I would recommend you start supplementing her diet with evening primrose or starflower oil (you can give her the same capsules as you would take yourself from Boots or the healthfood shop) I would start with 1000mg a day to begin with & see how you go. Another thing to do would be to use conditioner after you shampoo Tasha - maybe you already do? But if you don't, it will help a lot & make the coat easier to groom too :)                    
Jane

Offline Jude

• Site Member
Dull coat
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2002, 06:22:31 PM »
Thanks Jane

I think it was slightly dull from neutering but it is worse since spraying with Frontline.  I will try what you suggest for my little darlings.

ta

Jude                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Dull coat
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2002, 07:12:46 PM »
Try using coat oil too Jude - spray it in periodically, every few days or so and after bathing leave a final rinse with conditioner in. Helps moisturise and protect the coat and also helps keeo it clean and tangle free like Jane says.

Pam n the boys                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Jude

• Site Member
Dull coat
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2002, 07:25:50 PM »
Pammy  - coat oil it that from the vet or health shop.

Jude                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Dull coat
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2002, 11:22:07 PM »
I also use Shaws coat oil quite a lot mainly for the boys to keep their "under bits" from getting knotted up but it is a bit messy when you first spray it on - I have had "oil patches" left on the cushion covers in the past so be sparing with it :) Shaws Coat Oil is available in some pet stores but you can also order it direct from Shaws (http://www.shawspet.co.uk/                    
Jane

Offline LouiseH

• Site Member
  • Lourisma Moon Quest
    • Lourisma Cocker Spaniels
Dull coat
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2002, 10:50:50 PM »
I have used coat oil for my girls when in season, prevents their 'girly bits' from getting tangled up etc, seems to coat the individual hairs and prevent them from getting messy and sticky.
Also good for underarms and other feathering where knots can easily appear.
I use evening primrose on my 2 girls at the moment, both have recently had a season and have resulting dry dull coats, all on the mend now thanks to EPO.
Have you perhaps tried a more oily food? Perhaps Nutro? Mine always get on very well with this especially good for skin & Coat condition.

www.nutro.co.uk

Good luck let us know how you get on!                    
Louise Harrison
Lourisma Cocker Spaniels

Offline shaendix

• Site Member
    • espanielcockerspaniels.co.nz
Dull coat
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2002, 06:48:15 AM »
What about adding oil to the diet? Have used safflower oil in the past, but there are some new products coming on to the market now with blends of oils - has anyone tried them?                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Dull coat
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2002, 01:29:29 PM »
Now that I have finally managed to move Daisy's puppy fur, with the help of the coat king and spratts 76 comb, Daisy's coat also seems slightly dull (although it does feels nice and soft).

I like the idea of using a coat spray, but value my furniture too much. I was wondering instead, are there any particular conditioners you recommend?                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Dull coat
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2002, 04:41:03 PM »
Stripping the coat out often leaves the skin temporarily a bit dry & the coat a bit dull. I would give Daisy a good bath & use a conditioner - I'm sure every one has their own particular favourites but a lot of doggy folk use Pantene conditioner on their dogs :-)

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Dull coat
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2002, 06:19:38 PM »
Mike

I use a product called "The Stuff" I kid u not. You dilute it with water - it is not cheap butlasts for ever, use a spray bottle and spray that on them. It gives the coat a lovely gloss and very very silky to stroke - quite (something I shouldn;t out here really :o) You have to be careful not to get it on the floor or furniture as the spray as it makes surfaces very very slippy. I think I got mine from Champoin Pet Supplies - but not sure.

If you are interested - let me know and I'll search fro where I got it from.

Pam n the boys                    
Pam n the boys

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Dull coat
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2002, 09:53:02 PM »
Mike, I find the Wheatgerm or Almond & Mallow conditioners from Sainsbury's are excellent, and you can use them diluted either when you bath Daisy, or put it in a spray bottle (again diluted) and use it when you groom her  :D
Because they are not silicone based they won't harm your furniture either ;D                    

Offline LouiseH

• Site Member
  • Lourisma Moon Quest
    • Lourisma Cocker Spaniels
Dull coat
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2002, 05:01:11 PM »
Mike

I use a product called "The Stuff" I kid u not. You dilute it with water - it is not cheap butlasts for ever, use a spray bottle and spray that on them.

Pam n the boys

I also use this fabby stuff, can u order it online? Just found my grooming stuff swimming around in it in my show bag, have to get a new pump spray too now  >:(                    
Louise Harrison
Lourisma Cocker Spaniels

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Dull coat
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2002, 05:58:16 PM »
I think I got it online - I'll have a look and let you know. I dropped my spray bottle the other day full of the stuff - it bust - yuck!!                    
Pam n the boys