Author Topic: Puppy Dog tag ID opinions please re law address featuring on tag  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Blondeduke

Just trying to guage why law wants the dogs address on the tag? Trying to minimalise dog theft? Perhaps?

When I find lost dogs I usually ring the owner if I safely secure the scared dog from tag info. The ones I find tend to have name & couple numbers only. Usually this works fine.
I found two escapee labs no tag one weekend & no one wanted to know. Vets shut/police not interested prob too busy/ dog warden not available. I rang a few locals & found owners. Same with horses escaped & cattle too.
I have newish pup & we decided deliberately to only put our surname & two phone numbers on tag plus dog is chipped. The reason we did not put address as concern someone could approach stroke pup view our address and turn up at rural property and dog nap. Also great advertise you are out of your home for day?

I am now realising legally I should supply a tag with my home address now? Is the address really that helpful?

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
Re: Puppy Dog tag ID opinions please re law address featuring on tag
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 06:23:31 PM »
This is the most up to date info I could find,

https://www.dogowner.co.uk/dog-tag-law-uk-what-to-put-dog-tag-id/

I was very weary of people around my pup when she was young for the same reasons as you, I havnt put on my dogs name but the family name only,  no Mr or Mrs etc,.

My Girl has two tags, one is a medical tag which hides her Legal tag nicely from prying eyes  :D

Hope it helps,

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 07:14:04 PM »
I think the law on this is very out of date  >:(

I have always thought it is a bad idea to have your home phone number visible together with your address - makes it easy for possible burglars was always the theory  ;)

So, Coco has my surname, landline and mobile number and "I am microchipped" on hers.

Obviously it is up to the individual owner to make the decision as to what to put on the tag - but I have never heard of someone being prosecuted for not having their address on it  :shades:
Julie and Watson

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 08:31:35 PM »
About 4-5 years back we found a dog wandering and managed to get him in our garden, after asking several people and OH walking around we phoned the police and were given the name of a duty kennel, the first thing they did was scan for microchip....saying it was now required....the dog wasn't. This was pre 2016 so the fines weren't in effect.

I would think in this day and age, a tag showing I am micro chipped and owner and mobile and landline are best.

P.S owner and dog were reunited.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 05:50:18 PM »
Jinley has a tag with just my mobile number (not home phone number as if I lost her I would be out looking for her) and just the word Microchipped.

Offline Statler

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 09:41:09 AM »
mine have address, 2 mobile numbers and on reverse i have my vets number. I want them home anyway possible should it ever happen. i do not have their names on the tags although cant remember why not