Author Topic: Cocker number 2?  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Nathanjohn8

Cocker number 2?
« on: September 09, 2019, 05:27:25 PM »
Hi All,

My beloved Toby has just turned 7. He is a great dog - and has all the standard traits of a cocker. A little possessive, a little barky at times etc... But we wouldn't change him for the world.

2 years ago my wife and I had our first child, naturally since then, Toby hasn't had the same level of attention he was once used to. Don't get me wrong, he is very much adored in our house. But our time and affection is now split!

We are currently thinking of getting another cocker. A girl (puppy). We are hoping that Toby would be happy with a new companion! Since our son arrived, Toby is a little anxious with people in the house - nothing major but he barks when people arrive and when they leave. Our neighbour has also said that he howls until we get home on occasion.

We are hoping that having another dog in the house may help settle him. He loves other dogs - so I'm hoping a friend helps him feel at ease all the time.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Has anyone done something similar?

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Cocker number 2?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 09:37:34 PM »
It can work very well, but one of the dangers is if you are thinking of getting a puppy, it will take up a lot of your already busy time, toilet training and so forth and Toby may feel he is being ignored, especially if as you say you can not give him as much time as you used to, since baby arrived.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 12:45:59 PM »
Yes indeed, we are a retired couple and lost one of our beloved Cocker girls to kidney issues over  a year ago, we decided after a year, and mainly because we thought her sister (who is now 9 seemed lost and less keen on life) might benefit from a companion , well yes she has and she has been a dream with the pup, despite initially running out the room for a couple of weeks, BUT I would say the new girl Amber has been a nightmare in many ways encompassing all the problems NONE of our previous 6 Cockers had, chewing, food picky, wailing, weeing...etc. She suffers from anxiety and cries whenever we leave the room never mind the house even when one of us is with her she wants the ther (namely myself) and does create a fuss every time despite my going out daily for short outings shopping dog walking etc. The other thing is she is travel sick, not vomiting but restless and bleak and wont sit still. None of these things with the exception of our very first Cocker, who was travel sick, as been an issue with any of our other dogs. But this is an example of the additional problems you may find, fortunately we don't work or have additional responsibilities, but it has still been a struggle, she is coming out of some of this now at 9 mnths, BUT be aware the problems may not always be your dogs response to a newbie, that is a whole additional issue

Offline Elisha9

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 02:04:08 PM »
All depends on you and your situation. I added a Cocker to my Family last November, already have a Border Collie. They got on like a house on fire and still do. They adore each other. My Collie was 3 this year and my Cocker was 1. I also have a 4 year old daughter so they’ve grown up with her perfectly! No jealousy with her though as my Collie was added to our family when my daughter was about 15 months, and my Cocker just fit in right away when bringing her home.
If it was me I would go for it personally, as if he loves other dogs the company would do him the world of good having another friend to play with :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk