Author Topic: Vet charges  (Read 3587 times)

Offline miajemima

Vet charges
« on: September 19, 2019, 04:52:28 PM »
Took our Mia to the vets a couple of weeks ago, she was limping on her back leg. I was told she has thickening around her knees as she had an operation on each when she was young (10 now) so probably arthritic. Came away with anti inflammatory and told to just give her short walks. She can walk on it now but is stiff and it makes a clicking sound. Went in vet to make appointment and just asked if it would be in the same consultation fee and was told maybe or it might be £26. Surely if it's the same problem a few weeks later it should be covered by first consultation fee, I like to know where  I am moneywise as we pay £50 insurance a month but not covered for knees. She's worth it but think it's unfair of vets to hide costs, anyone else had this problem?

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Vet charges
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 07:22:53 PM »
Might be speaking out of turn as I no longer live in UK, but I would most certainly view it as a follow up! Obviously she‘s worth it and the vets know that!  but it doesn‘t give them a free card to take advantage of you. I would say, stand your ground or at least demand an acceptable explanation for charging you twice!

Offline miajemima

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 08:03:39 PM »
Yes thanks, that's what I thought but not keen on confrontation. >:(

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 09:47:36 AM »
How frustrating!  In my opinion, if your vet asked to see her again in 2 weeks time, then I would see it as a follow up.  If you have made a new appointment without being asked, I would see it as a new consultation.

Have you searched "Golden Paste"?  It is amazing for joint problems in both humans and animals and completely natural.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 01:45:13 PM »
How frustrating!  In my opinion, if your vet asked to see her again in 2 weeks time, then I would see it as a follow up.  If you have made a new appointment without being asked, I would see it as a new consultation.

Have you searched "Golden Paste"?  It is amazing for joint problems in both humans and animals and completely natural.

That is one way of looking at it I agree, but it depends in the vet and also whether the diagnosis is correct in the first place. If you‘re prescribed medication to treat a wrongly diagnosed condition and it therefore has no effect, surely a return visit for another assesment would be justified ? My vet would normally suggest going back anyway if there‘s no improvement, -its an ongoing problem, surely? Not suggesting a follow up would surely just be a free pass to charge again for a first consultation, there must surely be some sort of practice code which clarifies it? I can totally understand you wanting to avoid confrontation but a polite challenge is maybe all you need as a gentle reminder that you are their paying customer and they need you and your dog as much as you need them!  ;)

Offline miajemima

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 03:10:26 PM »
Thanks for the replies. They always seem a bit vague with prices in there to be honest.  I'll take her and see and will definitely ask why?  ;) if they charge again.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 03:18:06 PM »
See the same vet.....that way you can say you are doing as he/she said
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 08:09:59 PM »
I may be alone in this - and it’s probably because I’m self employed so my time is money  :shades: - but if I make a second appointment I expect to pay for it.  :dunno: Some vets do charge a lower amount for follow up appointments compared to the initial consultation but I’m surprised they're ever free.  Every appointment I’ve had to make (at the vets request) for Archie’s foot throughout the summer has been charged for. They don’t all come under the fee for first consultation. It’s still the vets time and expertise every time I go, even though it’s for the same problem. The only time I wouldn’t expect to pay would be if it was a follow up from surgery. I would expect the wound check etc to be included in the original price of the op. However, if complications occurred (as they did when Archie was castrated) I would expect to pay.

Just me?
Table for one please.... ph34r

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 08:12:37 PM »
Our vet now charges for follow ups regardless what they are for.Rosie had a grass seed in her paw...antibiotic and antiflammatry..£56... come back in 5 days..another £30.... so next time all was well so I didnt go back...time after I bought a spray that encourages natural healing from Pets at Home £11, sprayed Her paw, seed came out, sprayed again just in case..all well...Although We have a few vets locally they are run by just two companies so there is no competition and the charges are similar...first visit is £56+ regardless of the treatment..its like a licence to print money.

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 08:16:30 PM »
Friends Spaniel was limping, several visits to the vets and £150 poorer vet suggested a scan....this was covered by insurance but the excess etc resulted in a £200 bill....nothing wrong found but because the dog has had a scan on the one leg any other problem there will not be covered by insurance as it will be considered an ongoing problem....even though no problem found...

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 08:56:20 PM »
Friends Spaniel was limping, several visits to the vets and £150 poorer vet suggested a scan....this was covered by insurance but the excess etc resulted in a £200 bill....nothing wrong found but because the dog has had a scan on the one leg any other problem there will not be covered by insurance as it will be considered an ongoing problem....even though no problem found...

It’s this that I have the biggest issue with, not really vet charges. Insurers get away with murder. This is exactly why I am not expecting Archie to be covered for his current skin problem. Because he’s always had allergy issues and skin itching it could be considered an ongoing problem. But what he now has is a very serious, possibly un-treatable infection that’s completely different to his previous itching (that I have never had to claim for). I’m waiting for the claim to be rejected. Even if they do pay I can only imagine that the renewal premium will go up so much I may not be able to afford to continue with insurance. I think a lot of people end up in this situation.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 09:48:57 PM »
Not on your own Emma  :D

Our vets charge a reduced fee for any follow on consultations for the same problem, I would not expect them to be free either (tho it would be nice, lol)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline aliceandlouis

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2019, 09:52:23 AM »
Another one alongside you, Emma  :D - in my eyes a consultation fee is just that - and each appointment is a separate consultation? (although again, I agree that a follow-up after surgery should, and usually is, included in the original price - and the issue of insurance exclusions, well  >:D >:D >:D).

My vet is an angel - I phoned him earlier this week asking if I could pop Louis on his surgery scales - a number of people had mentioned they thought he was losing weight which added to my own observation - and since nothing had changed with his feeding or exercise regime I thought it best to get him checked using the same scales as he was last weighed on.  The vet said come in any time, so ten minutes later (a short walk away!) I turned up on the doorstep - they even had to unlock the surgery especially.  In that ten minute period my vet had checked Louis' record and yes, after weighing it would seem he has lost just over a kilo.  The vet asked 'could I just run my hands over him?', did so and after checking muscle coverage, joint movement and tummy said 'he seems fine - being a bit lighter will help his arthritic shoulder - suggest you pop him back in 6-8 weeks to weigh him and we can see if there is a trend - or sooner if you are worried' - no charge!!!!  I do realise how lucky we are.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2019, 10:20:55 AM »
That‘s lovely and is the sort of thing my vet would do. Reading all the other posts does make me think that I am just lucky though and the way I‘m charged is probably the exception rather than the norm.  To be fair, we live in the back of beyond so presumably his overheads are very different to those of a city practice. (It still doesn‘t hurt to ask though!  ;). )

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2019, 10:52:15 AM »
I think I am lucky too with my vet.....after Ollie's surgery this year follow up twice was not changed (removal suture nurse) then vet - think possibly worked out in overall price.

This week spoke with man walking his cocker along with his daughter cocker who was 14 and had dementia .....he told me the medication was almost £100 per month from vet....but she now gets it online cheaper - but has to pay £14 each month for private prescription....you can imagine what I said!! he had no idea that the private prescription could have repeats added to it!! I did also explain that the large online companies would possibly get higher quantity to lower price to customer....but he said he felt the vet was making her return for the form monthly to reap £14.....think he was right and reason why I told him.

No matter how we justify vets fees the fact remains....some charge through the roof....and we know that in Germany and France this is not the case from our COL friends. 
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed