Author Topic: Working or Show?  (Read 4236 times)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Working or Show?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2006, 03:46:19 PM »
ellie, you should be able to tell from her 5 gen pedigree - if there are sh ch listed you have a show type, and if you see ft ch that's field trial champion and that signifies working cocker heritage

she may be a bit of both, nothing wrong with that  ;) :luv:

Sorry hope you don't mind me asking about the above quote my Lottie has sh ch several times in her 5 gen pedigree and only one ft ch, I can tell just by looking at her that she has defintely got working cocker in her because of her ears, she is quite a delicate dog though and has beautiful orange roan markings and I think her face is more show type, I tend to tell people that she is a working cocker because of her ears but would appreciate your experienced views, is she a worker a show or a bit of both - help, some people have even asked me if she is a sprocker?

definitely not sprocker, she looks more working cocker in your past threads  than show to me and i have to say i am utterly smitten :luv: she is rather gorgeous isn't she? how far back is the ft ch in her pedigree (and if you can give me the name i or someone may be able to shed some light on her heritage)

helen & jarvis x

Offline Spangles

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2006, 04:11:13 PM »
Thanks choccydrop I am at work at the moment but will bring her pedigree with me tomorrow, it would be great if you could help shed some light on her heritage.  From what I can remember the ft ch is five generations back and 3 of her grandparents were show champions.

When we bought Lottie her mum was a typical show type blue roan cocker and to be honest I was a little naive back then about cockers and didn't even know that there were working cockers, I have learnt so much from this site!

You are right though she is a little stunner, and she has the most fantastic nature so I wouldn't change her for the world, but would like to know more about her pedigree.  I am always a little unsure how to label her when people ask her breed because I know she is not full working cocker or show cocker, any help would be much appreciated.
Love me, love my dogs

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2006, 05:02:47 PM »
I am always a little unsure how to label her when people ask her breed because I know she is not full working cocker or show cocker, any help would be much appreciated.
I always tell people my dogs are cocker spaniels.  :blink:  Most people I come across don't know there are show and working types anyway!  ;)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2006, 05:13:25 PM »
I am always a little unsure how to label her when people ask her breed because I know she is not full working cocker or show cocker, any help would be much appreciated.
I always tell people my dogs are cocker spaniels.  :blink:  Most people I come across don't know there are show and working types anyway!  ;)

that's very true!....except some people like to take some uneducated guesses too -  apparently my dog is a german shorthaired pointer or some kind of setter and does he have saluki in him??? ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2006, 07:34:23 PM »
and mine is a sausage dog :lol: :005:
daisy looks show type to me.she is just gorgeous

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2006, 11:31:49 PM »
I was asked by an american if rolo was a sussex spaniel!!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2006, 08:45:02 AM »
I was asked by an american if rolo was a sussex spaniel!!

at least he thought he was a spaniel!!!!!!!
helen & jarvis x

Offline Spangles

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2006, 01:03:25 PM »
We took Lottie out last week and someone thought she was a labrador :005:

Anyway I set off for work today without Lotties 5 gen pedigree but I did make a note of the first 3 generations so here they are:

Parents:
Shard Gold at Talkintarn
Mystic Star of Carla

Grandparents:
Rosetop Teddy
Flavour Lady
Bitcon Magic Maker of Talkintarn
Talkintarn Blanch

Gt Grandparents:
Master  Mythical
Miss Roses High
Super Rocky Star
Dusky Dreamer
Bitcon Troubador SH CH
Bitcon Mystic Magic
Sonny Hiatt of Talkintarn
Talkintarn Princess Mereret

Hope this is some help choccydrop

I can finish if off tomorrow

Thanks
Love me, love my dogs

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2006, 01:58:55 PM »
i recognise a few show names in there but no working names.unless of course some are not from the famous named kennels be it show or working types.
i am sure someine with more knowledge will let you know.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2006, 02:24:18 PM »
i think we need to go back a bit further - this looks mostly show to me, although i have a suspicion there are also springer kennels using the affix talkintarn, but i can't find out any info at the moment - is kirsten (workingcockers) about with her magic database???

helen & jarvis x

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2006, 02:39:14 PM »
Talkintarn produce an awful lot of Cocker & Lab puppies - probably on a commercial basis since the same stud dog is being used time and time again (and going by the number of litters registered). Bitcon is the only recognisable show affix - the other names either have no affix or affixes which aren't well known in either showing or working circles. I suspect there probably are working lines in this pedigree going by how many Cocker pups are registered as "lemons" by the Talkintarn kennel - not generally a colour seen in show-type pups.
Jane

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2006, 02:44:41 PM »
Talkintarn produce an awful lot of Cocker & Lab puppies - probably on a commercial basis since the same stud dog is being used time and time again (and going by the number of litters registered). Bitcon is the only recognisable show affix - the other names either have no affix or affixes which aren't well known in either showing or working circles. I suspect there probably are working lines in this pedigree going by how many Cocker pups are registered as "lemons" by the Talkintarn kennel - not generally a colour seen in show-type pups.

thanks Jane, thought someone could shed some light on that one ;) 

as a matter of interest ellie, what's daisy's registered colour?  more details on the ft ch line on her pedigree will solve the mystery i'm sure :D
helen & jarvis x

Offline Spangles

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2006, 03:10:30 PM »

as a matter of interest ellie, what's daisy's registered colour?  more details on the ft ch line on her pedigree will solve the mystery i'm sure :D
[/quote]

Sorry bit confused - not sure if you mean me or ellie - if its Lottie you are talking about she is registered as Orange Roan

and the ft ch mentioned in her pedigree is Parkbreck Jake
Love me, love my dogs

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2006, 05:07:05 PM »

Sorry bit confused - not sure if you mean me or ellie - if its Lottie you are talking about she is registered as Orange Roan

and the ft ch mentioned in her pedigree is Parkbreck Jake

[/quote]

sorry - heat is getting to me!!!!!!!!  of course i mean lottie!

Parkbreck  is a well known working cocker line and Jake was very virile  :o, and is related to a lot of working cockers on this site - in fact lottie is related to jarvis (but he's secretly hoping its wayyyyyyy back so a potential date isn't out of the question....but don't tell floss ph34r) Parkbreck Jakes sire was Maesydderwen Griffin and his dam was FT CH Zelda of Cadboll, both very famous working cocker lines so her heritage on the working cocker side is strong further back.

sorry, i'm not up on the show cocker lines ph34r

i would reckon (without seeing the full pedigree) that lottie is at least 1/4 (more likely 1/2) working cocker...

helen & jarvis x

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2006, 05:47:56 PM »
I have Herbie a cocker spaniel who's father is a working cocker and the mother is a working x show cocker, he is fab!! :luv:

He doesn't actually have any SH CH in his pedigree but some show names, he has many many FT CH though - not that it makes any difference to me, he's just a pet.
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx