Author Topic: What to do, what to do  (Read 1913 times)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
What to do, what to do
« on: September 14, 2008, 03:51:46 PM »
For the past couple of months, Vegas has been staying with my brother and his gf. He absolutely adores the pair of them and is loving being the only dog  :005:  I occasionally have him for a day or two when they go down to Newcastle for the football and when he is here, he is miserable. This week, I had him from Friday dinner time to Saturday evening and he didn't eat a thing. He just lay in the hall and cried at the front door. I took him to the shop with me yesterday and he thought my brother was here to pick him up and he was frantically looking for his car and whining. When they did pick him up at night, he was all over them and didn't give me so much as a backward glance  :lol2:  Now my dilemma is that about a month ago, my brother said his gf was wanting to keep Vegas and I think he does too. I was absolutely horrified at the time and thought hell no but after seeing how miserable he is when he is back here, I'm wondering if taking him down south with me is the right thing to do? I was kinda hoping that he would eventually settle back in but is that me just being selfish due to the fact I can't bear to think about leaving him behind? :'(
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Re: What to do, what to do
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 04:25:08 PM »
aaaw - what a dilemma - but think of it as him being on permament loan ;) at least he's with people you know and wouldn't be losing touch with him altogether.

If he is genuinely happier there then it's that hard thing to do but prob the best for you all tbh. :'(
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 04:28:07 PM »
Oh Jay poor you, you must be heartbroken  :-\ 

I think that you know deep down, that you must do whats right for Vegas.  To me, looking from the outside, it sounds as though he is more suited at your brothers.   YOU will know that he is happy and will be well cared for  :-\

:-* :-* :-*  cant be easy

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 04:34:14 PM »
What a difficult decision for you to make  :-\  If I was in your shoes I'd let him go, purely due to the fact that it appears he is happier with them being an only dog. Like michelle said, at least you will know he is being looked after if he goes with them and at least you can still see him. Don't envy you but am sure you will come to the best arrangement for you both  :-*

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 04:45:57 PM »
aaaw - what a dilemma - but think of it as him being on permament loan ;) at least he's with people you know and wouldn't be losing touch with him altogether.

If he is genuinely happier there then it's that hard thing to do but prob the best for you all tbh. :'(

I think in your head you've already decided but your heart is telling you the opposite  :'(

agree with Pammy and send a big hug - I can imagine how heartbreaking making a decision like this is  :-\ :-*
helen & jarvis x

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 04:49:18 PM »
I think I would let Vegas go where he is happiest too. The saying that the best way you can show how much you care for your dog is to know when to let them go, doesn't just apply to when they are on their way to Rainbow Bridge  ;).

As you said, he is thriving being an only dog and you know where he is and that he is well looked after.

Rather than transfer ownership completely, you could always say that he is 'on permanent loan' and that you will be responsible for vets bills etc. That way you can still retain some sort of control, so that if their circumstances change you know he will be brought back to you, rather than passed on out of your reach.

:huh: Perhaps Vegas is trying to tell you something- that he is moving sideways because there is another pooch out there who needs you?
These sort of things rarely happen without good reason.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 05:04:19 PM »

I think in your head you've already decided but your heart is telling you the opposite  :'(

agree with Pammy and send a big hug - I can imagine how heartbreaking making a decision like this is  :-\ :-*

I'm with the others on this.

I can only guess how hard this is for you though.

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 05:05:25 PM »
Oh, Doll....I don't envy you! As Helen said,I think your head's made the decision, it's your heart that's the problem.

If I were in your shoes, I'd leave him with your brother and review the situation 4 - 6 weeks after your move.

Good luck, whatever you decide.  :-*
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline ClareB

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 07:52:42 PM »
What an awful decision to make.   :-\  As Helen says though, I think you're head's already made it and I think it's the right one.   ;)  Doesn't make it any easier though. 
Clare, Milo & Mocha

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 08:08:13 PM »
poor you what a decision to have to make  :'(

however I know YOU will do what is right for Vegas  :luv:

{{Hugs}}

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 08:59:08 PM »
I think he will be a happier dog left with your brother and his gf. You can see him every time you visit home and when they come to stay with you....

Tough decision but I think you know you have already made it!!

Janey

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 09:15:44 PM »
He'll still be your baby  :luv:

It's just like when the kids leave home you are heart broken  :'(   but fab when they come and visit  :luv:

It's really tough but you want your boy to be happy  :blink: and if he's not can come home  ;)

Jo

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 09:17:47 PM »
The way I see it if he's happy then I'd be happy. I know its not the same but I rehomed my parrot today who I've had for 10 years. I know he will have a better life now and will be living with other birds so I'm a bit teary but its for the best. We have to put their needs first.

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 09:31:18 PM »
Awww - hugs to you  :luv:  I agree with the others - your head knows what to do but your heart still wants the fairy tale ending.

Vagas has made up his mind - he just needs you to understand    :luv:

Offline Cath

• Site Member
  • Breagh
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 10:14:25 PM »
It's not a dilemma I have had to deal with, I can only imagine how hard it is for you. I am sure you will do what is best for Vegas, however hard that is. Thinking of you  :-*

Murron

Nothing beats the unconditional love of our doey eyed spaniels.
Cath, Breagh, Caoimhe and my angel at the bridge Milly.