Author Topic: Getting cold at night....  (Read 3008 times)

Offline woodlander

Getting cold at night....
« on: January 07, 2009, 12:03:48 PM »
Hope this is the right place. 

Sweep sleeps in the kitchen at night and while she has a fabric basket and blankets the house heating goes off at night and particularly at the moment we are worried that she is getting cold.  When she comes upstairs in the morning with our cuppa she immediately goes under the duvet for cuddles!  :005:

We wondered if an igloo type bed would be better to stop drafts etc and would extra snuggly in this current cold weather! We can't however find one suitable (all the ones we have seen seem to be for cats) and hope that some knowledgeable COLers might be able to help

Thanks

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
Re: Getting cold at night....
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 01:19:12 PM »
My two sleep in the kitchen as well and it gets pretty cold. This year we've put a little oil radiator in there (plugs in) and put an old sheepskin rug near it on the floor. From what I can work out they are sleeping together on the rug next to the heater and are quite cosy.

You could try putting a hot water bottle in Sweep's bed under the blanket as well? 
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline LisaB

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 01:26:27 PM »
I use my Atlas plastic pet carrier that also goes in the car - and turn it to face the radiator for Angel.  Toasty warm, especially with flectabed which reflects back the heat.

http://www.petplaypads.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_40&products_id=148

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 03:48:43 PM »
My boys have been Ok but Heidi feels the cold so I've been popping her Equafleece on to go to bed  ;)

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Mundyboy

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 04:32:05 PM »
My two sleep in my bedroom and I like to have the window open.  When it became very cold I thought they would sleep downstairs and moved their beds.  No they came upstairs, padded on the door and slept on the floor.  I have to admit that I now leave a convector heater in in the bedroom set for 'frost'.  The bally thing goes on an off all night!  I am dreading the electric bill but at least my kids are comfortable!
I love my dogs.  They make it worth getting out of bed in the morning.

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 04:39:50 PM »
My retrievers sleep in the conservatory so they have a portable raditor on so when the heating clicks of at 10.30 they still have a cosy room  :blink: my old boy is 12 so needs his joints to be kept warm.
Last night I kept my electric blanket on all night, so I was really surprised to find Rosie in my bed and under the duvet. She must have been sweltering.
Jo

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 04:51:10 PM »

Mine just come and steal our body heat...and the quilt and the pillow  ::) so we are the ones who are cold at night  >:(  ;)

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 04:54:37 PM »
Molly woke us all up at about 5am the other morning scratching and crying to get out of the kitchen and we're pretty sure she was cold (esp after the haircut  ph34r ) so last night she got to sleep with one of the kids  ::) Yes I know we are hopeless  :005:
The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 11:56:48 PM »
Katie and Smudge spend the night on my bed in this cold weather, and the heating is left on all night on low.  Suzie the Collie sleeps downstairs (her choice!!) with a convector heater set at 2 above frost as she suffers from arthritis, she has a biggish duvet bed and blanket, but I often find her in the mornings laid on the tiles  brrr
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline seaangler

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 12:09:54 AM »
Our Peggy(the cocker) also sleeps on the bed(On a fleece)Wifes ideal not mine >:( .Cindy the golden retriever sleeps on the landing...As the heating pipes are underneath... As she snores and dreams alot(More than the wife  :005: )And the cat any ware she likes....

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 12:17:43 AM »
Flo always sleeps on my bed, on her  pink furry blanket in her nightie ::)

and since it's been so cold I cover her up with the blanket once she's gone to sleep, also the CH is also left on low overnight. Even then she usually ends up under the duvet in the early hours  ::)

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 12:25:56 AM »
Aww princess Flo  :luv:  :005:

Offline MOO-MOO

• Smile for the camera Moo!
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 07:29:06 AM »
Our 3 sleep upstairs too!  ph34r

We have got two biggish igloo beds though - one on the landing and one in the living room. They come in very handy for Truda to seek a safe haven when the nasty  >:D fireworks are going off.

We got one from our local petshop - by chance they had a bigger than normal one - and the other came from Waggers in the sale a year or so ago.

www.waggers.co.uk

Hope this helps,

Heather.
Heather.
Enjoy your big running at Rainbow Bridge Truda with Chloe and Moo Moo 💕💕💕 xx

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 09:35:08 AM »

I'm obviously mean.   ph34r
Honey sleeps in her bed, in the dining room.  Not only is there no heating on through the night, but normally there is no heating on during the day either.  We have it on for an hour in the morning and 3 in the evening.  With the cold weather, I have been sticking it on during the day for Honey, as we have to leave the door open into the conservatory (from the Dining Room, where Honey's bed is) as otherwise Honey would get no natural light, but it's single glazed with no heating...  ph34r
She has loads of blankets and my old sleeping bag in her bed, so plenty to snuggle up into, and she seems to do ok!  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline theshrew

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 10:17:04 AM »
Missy sleeps in the kitchen on her bed with no heating on. Id like her to sleep in our room but Mrs Shrew will not let her no matter how many times i try to talk her round. When i put her to bed i have been putting a cover over her tho and the last few nights have sneaked the heating on low for her.

How can i talk Mrs shrew round to let her sleep in our room ??