Author Topic: Pollen Allergy?  (Read 958 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Pollen Allergy?
« on: March 31, 2017, 08:52:49 AM »
Can't get an appointment with my vet until Monday so just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on, what seems to be, an allergy to pollen. Humphrey's woken up a couple of mornings this week with puffiness and swelling in various places - first it was his ear, then the whole side of his nose and this morning his eyes were puffy and there were little swellings all over his head. They go down during the course of the morning but he's not really  himself, does a lot of shaking and rolling on the carpet. I've just showered him off after his walk as there is a very high pollen count at the moment. Does this sound like pollen or do you think its coincidence and I'm missing something? He's DIY raw fed.
Thanks!

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Re: Pollen Allergy?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 09:05:45 AM »
Poor Humphrey! Could be allergies, allthough it seems a bit much with the swellings. My friend has a shiba with pollen allergy who gets red, puffy, itchy eyes in the spring, but he doesn't swell up all over his head. Could he be sticking his head into something that will cause a reaction? Some bushes or something that causes swelling and itching? Or since he is worse in the morning, could you have washed his bed with a new product or something?

Maybe ask the vet about getting some antihistamines to give him so he's more comfortable over the weekend?

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 01:48:05 PM »
My friend's late Labrador had a tree pollen allergy (forget which tree species).  She had to,have an injection every month during the season which kept it at bay. It affected her skin too, with patchiness on her belly.

Ike Mari said, I t could be a number of things. Would some calamine lotion help?

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 06:08:32 PM »
Jayne.....try putting Piriton into search on top right on here, it throws up a lot of posts, both for humans and woofs

Not sure if you can get over the counter in Germany (never used with dogs - but think it is syrup form not tabs)

Have used the tablets myself for allergies

Cuddles to Humphrey
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 06:25:01 PM »
No experience to offer, just sympathetic snuggles for Humphrey.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Mrs T

• Donator
  • Harry 30/6/94-11/1/10
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 08:22:36 PM »
I get Piriton from the vets for Riley but have to sign to say I won't take it myself.  I understand that if you try to buy it from the chemists for your dog they won't supply.  Whether that is to do with the manufacturing process or the cost, I don't know.  It costs me £5.20 for 60 pills.

Phoebe went to the Bridge on 25/11/2012   :luv:

Offline stephie95

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 06:55:13 AM »
My golden retriever got diagnosed with this a couple of weeks ago. She started out with a running nose and eyes and then she eventually ended up with an ear infection (this happened in the space of a day) . The only way we knew it was an allergy was because she kept licking her forelegs and constantly itching. I stopped all walks over a weekend to avoid any more problems although this was hard as I couldn't walk my spaniel as I was advised that she could potentially make Lola worse. She had drops for her ears which have cleared up and 4mg piriton tablets three times a day. I can't find anywhere to buy the 4mg tablets so she now has children's piriton twice a day as there is 1mg in every 1ml. Best thing to do would be to stop walking and see if anything improves. She also gets bathed in sensitive shampoo if we go on a walk where we do walk under lots of trees and she looks uncomfortable. The vet advised that this could potentially last all summer depending on how bad she is :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 08:10:07 PM »
I get Piriton from the vets for Riley but have to sign to say I won't take it myself.  I understand that if you try to buy it from the chemists for your dog they won't supply.  Whether that is to do with the manufacturing process or the cost, I don't know.  It costs me £5.20 for 60 pills.

Archie suffers from seasonal allergies and has had quite bad itchy skin issues in the past. My vet told me to buy antihistamines over the counter from Tesco! It's less than a pound. She gave me a list of the ones that are suitable for dogs. I haven't got any at the moment so I can't check the active ingredient I'm afraid.

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 09:38:48 AM »
Poor Humphrey, he must be feeling so miserable, as others have suggested, perhaps some Piriton or similar. Please give him a gentle squidge from me. :luv: :luv:
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 12:07:39 PM »
Many thanks everyone! We have rain forecast for this afternoon, so that should help clear the air.
The hard swellings on his head have started to go down and I'm wondering now if they were maybe caused by insect bites, skin round his nose looks red and itchy still, so I don't really know - could be a bit of both. The wretched ticks are already on the battle field - pulled out 3 this week,  >:D, although they weren't in the places that were swollen!  :-\  Off to the vet in the morning, will see what he thinks. Will get some Piriton (equivalent) anyway though I think, sounds like a good idea to have in incase of emergencies - thanks for your advice all!!  :D