Author Topic: the value of a reward  (Read 1960 times)

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: the value of a reward
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2017, 11:38:43 AM »
haha - yes they do!  a friend mentioned recently that that was the biggest lesson for her - learning to think and respond really quickly to situations to prevent and transgressions.

I don't think it should be confusing because you're telling it to hunt - when you say so.  not bollocking it randomly.  stop should mean stop, hunt on should mean hunt on.  when pip stops or turns when I ask I praise him.  I don't think he's confused by it.  it's the same with retrieving - they only go when you ask and if they run in they get told off.  the decisions are the handler's as to when to go/not.

which means yes, a properly controlled beating dog is an example of a very well trained responsive dog.  am always a bit disappointed that 'just beating' is never held in as high regard as 'picking up'.  imo a really decent beating dog requires far more control and training.  (plus i think it's more fun).  but that's a whole other discussion.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline ips

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2017, 11:44:45 AM »
Totally agree, beaters and beating dogs seem to be considered low down on the scale however the discipline required is Imo far greater than a picking up or peg dog.

Anyway we digress 😁
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2017, 12:22:55 PM »
Aaaaagh...Was going to ask re treats as rewards.I am trying to not give a treat so often as a reward mainly because Rosie is getting wide around the beam, have swapped to normal kibble as much as poss, but really need something more highend for recall.But so far all Her training has been treat based , there isnt a toy with a high enough value to Her to replace a 'sweet' and when I attempt to just praise I get the 'yeh, right ,I did as asked now make with the treat' look.Have cut down Her meal to compensate but then She spends Her time 'hoovering' and I feel guilty. Tried changing treats to carrot etc but to little success, She will actually spit out something if it is not to Her high expectations.
Think main problem is this dog is spoiled rotten and probably cleverer than me........

Ps I too chat to Her, but its a different tone to commands.

Have you tried using yourself as a reward for recall? Run around like an idiot, roll on the ground, wrestle and play tag, play with a tug toy (and let the dog win).  This usually works better than treats for recall in my experience. Unless your dog really is not interested in playing at all, they tend to like it when we clown around with them.
Regarding healthy treats, if you mix a bag of kibble with some fruit, veggies and something smelly like liver, cheese or sausage in the morning, then all of it will smell very good after a few hours. That smell might give kibble, carrots and cucumber higher value since smell is more important than taste for dogs :) The unpredictability hould help too, she will never know of its liver or carrot until she tries it. Promise of a potential jackpot is a trick that works on both humans and dogs. I used to cook and dry liver for this purpose. Stank up the house, but brilliant for a treat bag  :005:
My dog is also spoiled rotten and it's definitely because she is more clever than me! She is better at training me than I am at training her  :lol2:

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2017, 04:33:40 PM »
Yep, done the jumping up and down and shouting 'quick' which means game on but this doesnt work once the nose is on the ground and She is in the zone and I use dried sprats as the ultimate treat...boy does everything stink...On our walk today I just tried praise for general good behaviour and treat for recall with some success, guess this is yet another work in progress.But today was a calm day, tomorrow could be a whole different ball game.Hadnt thought of putting carrot etc in with the sprats, will try that. She had a hair cut today, I really like the wild and woolly look but it was time and I came home with a dog half the size I thought She was, if only a hair cut would do that for me.