Author Topic: training methods  (Read 2521 times)

Offline ips

Re: training methods
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2017, 10:39:17 AM »
I have always given a lot of "good girls" in fact I have been pulled up for it from gundog folk saying I should not and that its too often however having recently researched clicker, capturing and shaping I now realise that in effect my verbal praise is a "clicker" so in my humble inexperienced opinion I wouldn't worry about it I would just use your usual verbal praise, as long as its given instantly 👍
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2017, 10:46:28 AM »
I know people with deaf dogs that use flashlights or small laser thingies instead of clickers to mark correct behaviours. It's all the same theory :) I use the clicker because I tend to say "good girl" in situations where I don't reward too. But I could have chosen a word as a clicker if I remembered not to use it for anything else. Some feel it's easier to get the timing right with clicker, but others don't like the extra gadget and prefers a word or tongue click or even a whistle. Whatever works :)

Eze sounds like a clever dog, perfect for clickertraining!

Offline ips

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2017, 10:55:20 AM »
I know we all think the same about our dogs and so we should but yes she is very very clever. Once she "gets it" then its generally reliable from then on. Her only issue is being lumbered with a novice inexperienced trainer who doesn't always explain things very well to her 😞 if someone with experience had trained her I know for a fact that she would be capable of field trial championships no question about it. Her FT pedigree is stunning and I feel honoured to have had the opportunity to learn from her.
My only concern with the clicker is doing it wrong and mucking up what we have. I rarely seem to do things text book I seem to always just middle along, I am a very awkward and stubborn man....apparently 😁

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2017, 11:02:07 AM »
My dog has had the same problem :D It's hard to reach your potential with a novice teacher. But it sounds like you guys are doing really well so far! Learning together is half the fun imo. Of course, I've never competed in anything with my dog so that's easy for me to say, everything we do is for fun :P

Offline ips

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2017, 11:07:45 AM »
It is indeed a lot of fun. 👍

I particularly enjoy the mental side of it, trying to work out how to train it or untrain it as the case may be. 😁

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2017, 11:08:02 AM »
You may be a novice, ips, but you have great instincts. The way you have taught eze to settle at your feet is exactly the way I saw in a training video by a great trainer (Kikopup on YouTube if you're interested). I find the behaviours I get most reliably are the ones where Henry has had to work it out and offer it for me to capture.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline ips

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2017, 11:11:43 AM »
Thank you LG you are most kind. Yes interested in seeing that, have you got a link ??

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2017, 12:12:12 PM »

Offline ips

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2017, 12:21:57 PM »
Brilliant. 👍
I like that its exactly my kind of approach. Learned some good tips from it.
Thanks for the link 👍

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2017, 12:57:39 PM »
All her videos are excellent, well worth browsing.

Offline ips

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2017, 08:18:03 PM »
Two occasions so far this evening I have been sat in kitchen both times she has sat then lay down in front of me, no big pile of items on the table, nothing brought in. I am yet again amazed how quickly she picks things up. This capturing / shaping is a powerful tool 😁

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2017, 08:42:58 PM »
Brilliant! Wish I had been clever enough to capture that behaviour. 'Settle' has always been a difficult thing for us! She didn't get it until she was at least 5 (years, not months)  :005: And I like kikopup too, good channel!

Offline ips

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2017, 04:09:11 PM »
Well, it may be my imagination but over the last few days since doing the capturing thing I have noticed a general calmness about her. Is this coincidence or tied up with the capturing and or the lead work I have been doing. There is definitely a slight change in her demeanor  !!!!