Author Topic: First Proper Walk  (Read 710 times)

Offline PopPops

First Proper Walk
« on: April 06, 2017, 02:20:03 PM »
Tolly had his injections a little late - delayed due to high drama. We live right on the edge of some woodland, so mice in the house are a twice yearly issue and while I hate hurting anything, they eat electric cables and get in drawers and it's unlivable. So this spring we put the poison packets under the bath and in the loft which is carefully closed and totally inaccessible to children, cats and puppies.

This year, a week after Tolly arrived, a mouse must have dragged a poison packet down through the wall cavity, come out behind the washing machine, and abandoned the packet on the kitchen floor, where a tiny little puppy was happily exploring. After 72 very panicked hours and repeated blood tests, we and the vets were certain that he hadn't found the packet or got any of the stuff on him, we relaxed slightly, but delayed his injections to let him recover a bit.

So he only went on the ground for the first time this last weekend, and we've been doing the whole get used to the lead, tie everyone up, lay down and don't move, introduction to walks outside. Today, a beautiful day, he had the idea, was sniffing everywhere and zooming around with his tongue hanging out and laughing, and for the first time we went down Pop's favourite route that we used to walk every day. I miss her so much, but it brought back so sharply the absolute joy of walking through the trees alone with a spaniel. She got me addicted to that, and while it's been a bit of a mixed time with Toll enjoying his first few weeks, getting to know him and the young puppy mayhem at the same time of missing Pops and trying to adjust to her not being there, I am so glad to have him.   
Pops the Womble: November 2012 to February 2017. Forever loved and missed Poppet.

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
Re: First Proper Walk
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 05:58:48 PM »
Today, a beautiful day, he had the idea, was sniffing everywhere and zooming around with his tongue hanging out and laughing, and for the first time we went down Pop's favourite route that we used to walk every day. I miss her so much, but it brought back so sharply the absolute joy of walking through the trees alone with a spaniel.

I so understand what you mean.  We lost our darling Ellie very suddenly last year, we now have Rosie who is an absolute joy.  She is just over 6 months old now and we are starting to do some 'proper walks' now.  This last week we have been to some of Ellie's favourite places and whilst I can't helping thinking 'Ellie used to love it here', it is wonderful to see Rosie exploring all these places for the very first time and we are loving being back out in the countryside with a very enthusiastic spaniel.

So pleased for you that the poison turned out alright, that must have been terrifying.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 06:07:41 PM »
A very touching post, thanks for sharing.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 06:51:29 PM »
I do know what you what you mean - we had a break of 6 years after our Biggles died but walking the route without him just never felt right. Humphrey now bounds around and sits on Biggles' bench and I just get the feeling Biggles would appove...... I'm sure Pop's is wagging her tail at the bridge seeingn you happy again!  :luv: