Author Topic: Working coats  (Read 1451 times)

Offline LisaL

Working coats
« on: March 29, 2017, 09:45:06 AM »
Hi,
I have owned Diesel for around 4 weeks now and so far I've only combed through his coat. He looks to me like he's been previoulsy trimmed up "a la show style" or soemthing as his ears have been trimmed on the flat sides and something done with his neck which now resembles a bushy scarf :005:

I don't want to go down the clipping route and have hand stripped cockers in the past for showing. I was thinking of getting one of the stripping knives for his body or are the coat kings better?

I'm a bit out of the loop with grooming as have had a Lab for 4 years  :D

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Working coats
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 10:24:09 AM »
Having decided to now start grooming myself, (haven't actually attempted yet!) I'm a bit apprehensive as to how exactly to go about it, my groomer said never to use coat king or furminator along the back, (its apparantly ok for hocks, ) as it spoils the coat. I found an old copy of ProGroomer magazine (Dec.'14) with stage by stage instructions for grooming a cocker per handstripping method and also with coat king. If you can't get a copy, let me know, ( I subscribe to the Readly app which has loads of magazines, plus back copies)  I did a screen shot of the instructions on my ipad, I might be able to pm them. Instructions are for show cocker but basics would be the same I guess.

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
Re: Working coats
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 08:19:08 AM »
Hi Lisa L from Lisa LH ;)
I wouldnt discount clipping as a grooming method as I know my girl is a lot more comfortable when she is clipped especially in the warmer weather, I have a sort of show clip dont on her which really suits her and stops her hidding half a small tree in her coat and shedding it at home after our walks

PS Diesel looks adorable!!
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce