Author Topic: camplyobacter?  (Read 1225 times)

Offline cockersarespecialpeople

• Donator
camplyobacter?
« on: March 29, 2017, 01:16:09 PM »
Hello everyone,  I'm new on the forum so am hoping someone may be able to offer some advice. 

We have the most delightful black and tan cockerdile called Freddie who is now 14 weeks old.  He's been eating fine, although sometimes doesn't eat all of his food in one go, and his poos are normal.  However, hubby was diagnosed with a campylobacter infection recently and was told he'd most likely caught if from our little pup.  This was in spite of being fastidious with hygiene [we thought!].  I don't understand because Freddie pup is fine! 

I give Freddie a daily bowl of goats milk which he enjoys.  Could the milk carry this infection does anyone think please?  It is obviously unpasteurised as it comes straight from the goat.

Any information gratefully accepted thank you.
Millie & Raffles running free over the Bridge.  Miss you always our special ones.

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Re: camplyobacter?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 01:40:04 PM »
Hope your husband feels better soon! Here is some information: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/digestive/c_multi_campylobacteriosis

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 05:53:22 PM »
Oh your poor husband - my OH picked it up a few years ago on a business trip, it was truly awful, he was very very poorly and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
My information is that the leading cause is mass produced chicken  although obviously it can come from other sources. I wouldn't like to speculate in your hubby's case but do wonder if, when its very hard to trace the cause, that a young puppy is going to be an easy scapegoat (no pun intended! ;)) and a doctor, or whoever it was,  might just decide "well they have a puppy, we need look no further"
If the goat's milk is from a reliable supplier, I wouldn't imagine it to be a problem....
Just out of interest though, - is there any particular reason for giving it to your pup?
I wish your hubby a good recovery!

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 06:31:40 PM »
With humans, I thought it was most commonly from contamination  with raw chicken, via hands, chopping boards, knives ,wiping cloths.   I wouldn't suspect a healthy pup. Is it your own goat ? I kept them once upon a time, but I always pasteurised the milk because I saw the little bits of dirt and hair that managed to fall in the bucket when she  decided to have a scratch!
It could be from eating out anywhere, or bought sandwiches. Watching TV cooking shows demonstrates how much our food is handled,  all those veg and salads being artistically(?) arranged. You never see them washing their hands.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 09:49:51 AM »
Hope your husband feels better soon! Here is some information: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/digestive/c_multi_campylobacteriosis
Thank you very much Mari.  It made interesting reading.  Although Freddie sometimes doesn't finish all of his food, that's the only symptom that could possibly have fitted. Good link though - I shall have to remember that one for any future reference!  Freddie is a lovely chunky monkey.
 I think, as Bizzy Lizzy suggested, that our GP found an easy scapegoat in our dear little chap!  Also, our trainer couldn't believe it when we took him to class last night [pup not OH!].
Thankfully, hubby is feeling much better now, so that's good  :003:
Thanks again.  I love reading so many interesting articles on this forum!
Millie & Raffles running free over the Bridge.  Miss you always our special ones.

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 09:59:17 AM »
Oh your poor husband - my OH picked it up a few years ago on a business trip, it was truly awful, he was very very poorly and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
My information is that the leading cause is mass produced chicken  although obviously it can come from other sources. I wouldn't like to speculate in your hubby's case but do wonder if, when its very hard to trace the cause, that a young puppy is going to be an easy scapegoat (no pun intended! ;)) and a doctor, or whoever it was,  might just decide "well they have a puppy, we need look no further"
If the goat's milk is from a reliable supplier, I wouldn't imagine it to be a problem....
Just out of interest though, - is there any particular reason for giving it to your pup?
I wish your hubby a good recovery!

Thank you Bizzy Lizzy.  I think I tend to agree with you about the scapegoat comment re the GP!  Freddie shows no signs at all of being unwell and the vet certainly didn't pick anything up when we've visited. 
Hubby now lots better thank you!
I do have chicken in the house although hubby only eats fish.  I have been feeding Freddie cooked chicken as an addition to his food. Interesting comment though.
The goats milk comes from my friend and apart from being strained through a muslin , is untreated.  I understood it to be the closest thing to a mother's milk and obviously good for growing bones and teeth [not that he needs any assistance in the latter department!  >:D]  The biting is a challenge!  Freddie really enjoys it too.

Thank you for your help! 

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 10:11:55 AM »
Yeah could be any number of sources not puppy related. And the article did say that the bacteria can even be found in healthy dogs. And most people don't get sick from their dogs, not even the ones sharing icecreams and kisses with their doggies :005: So you probably have to be really unlucky to get sick from the dog. Glad to hear your OH is feeling better!
Btw if he eats kibble I wouldn't worry about him not eating all the food, but I wouldn't leave milk or meat out for the next meal. Dogs have much tougher stomachs than us, but they can get sick and they can transfer bacterias to us without being sick. My friends dog had salmonellosis a few years back  ph34r

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 12:40:14 PM »
With humans, I thought it was most commonly from contamination  with raw chicken, via hands, chopping boards, knives ,wiping cloths.   I wouldn't suspect a healthy pup. Is it your own goat ? I kept them once upon a time, but I always pasteurised the milk because I saw the little bits of dirt and hair that managed to fall in the bucket when she  decided to have a scratch!
It could be from eating out anywhere, or bought sandwiches. Watching TV cooking shows demonstrates how much our food is handled,  all those veg and salads being artistically(?) arranged. You never see them washing their hands.
Many thanks Phoenix.  I do cook with chicken in spite of hubby only eating fish and  put the chopping boards in the dishwasher for safety.  So perhaps something happened there possibly.    He's feeling ok now thankfully. 
I get the milk from a friend who keeps goats.  The milk is just strained through a muslin and she always cleans the udder before beginning to milk.  Freddie really enjoys his daily bowl of milk and I understood it to be good for growing bones and teeth.  Is it better to wean him off it now do you think?  He's 14 weeks old now and biting for England! >:D

Thank you.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 01:30:30 PM »
Don't beat yourself about the chicken - he could have picked it up ANYWHERE and if you're ok, its unlikely its been picked it up at home!
When my OH had it, several of his colleagues were also ill, so we knew it had come during a business trip. The company (big US Multi) had to carry out an enquiry because of all the H+S etc and they had to make sure all the boxes were being ticked and make sure their  "bottoms" ;) were covered!! Their final course of action was to send us an email explaining what hygiene regime we should be following at home when dealing with raw foods!!!!  :buttkick: I declined to comment!!!

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 03:17:48 PM »
I had Campylobacter once, many years ago, but it was shocking, and not something you ever forget!  I caught it from eating a sandwich prepared at a church fete, probably by someone who hadn't washed their hands  :o
Easy to blame the pupster, but your hubby could easily have caught it elsewhere.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 04:00:57 PM »
I remember a farm near Carnforth Lancs that sell raw milk, saw it on programme how people came from miles to buy the milk, then this happened :shades:

30 Dec 2016 - More than 50 cases of food poisoning are being linked to a Cumbrian farm selling raw milk, health officials say. Traces of campylobacter were found in six samples of unpasteurised milk sold at L.. ......  Farm in Kendal earlier this month. ... Sales of milk from a vending machine ...

But I am sure if you get it you must have consumed it!!  Like most things if the cap might fit - go with it Mr GP :huh:

Hope OH is on the mend, had food poisoning from shell fish last year horrible
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 12:01:47 PM »
Don't beat yourself about the chicken - he could have picked it up ANYWHERE and if you're ok, its unlikely its been picked it up at home!
When my OH had it, several of his colleagues were also ill, so we knew it had come during a business trip. The company (big US Multi) had to carry out an enquiry because of all the H+S etc and they had to make sure all the boxes were being ticked and make sure their  "bottoms" ;) were covered!! Their final course of action was to send us an email explaining what hygiene regime we should be following at home when dealing with raw foods!!!!  :buttkick: I declined to comment!!!
[/quote
Thank you Bizzy Lizzy.  All is well now thank you, except pup had a bit of runny tum yesterday!  I told him to keep his bugs to himself!  No goats milk today sadly for pup!

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 12:06:04 PM »
I had Campylobacter once, many years ago, but it was shocking, and not something you ever forget!  I caught it from eating a sandwich prepared at a church fete, probably by someone who hadn't washed their hands  :o
Easy to blame the pupster, but your hubby could easily have caught it elsewhere.

Pleased to say that OH has recovered fully now having had a week of nasty symptoms.  Pup was find until yesterday when he had a bit of an upset tum so I'm blaming hubby now!

Thank you Blueberry.

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2017, 12:12:07 PM »
I remember a farm near Carnforth Lancs that sell raw milk, saw it on programme how people came from miles to buy the milk, then this happened :shades:

30 Dec 2016 - More than 50 cases of food poisoning are being linked to a Cumbrian farm selling raw milk, health officials say. Traces of campylobacter were found in six samples of unpasteurised milk sold at L.. ......  Farm in Kendal earlier this month. ... Sales of milk from a vending machine ...

But I am sure if you get it you must have consumed it!!  Like most things if the cap might fit - go with it Mr GP :huh:

Hope OH is on the mend, had food poisoning from shell fish last year horrible

Ooh crumbs - I assume that was cows milk then?

Yes, tending to ignore GP's theory.  It was too convenient to blame our lovely little chap!

OH now recovered thank you.  It did take a week or so though so a bit of a long haul

Thank you Jaysmumagain!