Author Topic: Dentastick alternative  (Read 1288 times)

Offline C_phillips

• Snappy Spaniel
Dentastick alternative
« on: March 29, 2017, 06:18:05 PM »
Hi all!

Jake's doing well, although we're having a few issues with dentastix.

Basically, he loves them. But I don't think they are good for his tummy as he seems to have the runs every time he has one.
Also, they are supposed to last a while right? He eats them in about 10 seconds.

Does anyone have any reccomendations for a chew that will last a while and will do a good job of cleaning his teeth? He already has PlaqueOff which seems good, but I'm keen to pair this with a good dental chew.

Thanks!
Owner of Jake, the fearful-reactive Spaniel.
Read about our journey with Jake:
SnappySpaniel.Wordpress.com

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
Re: Dentastick alternative
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 06:27:48 PM »
Mine love raw carrots.  They do the same job as dentastix and depending on the size, can often last longer.   They are also healthier and cheaper!   The only downside is if they have a particularly large carrot, they have orange poo - but it is worth it!   :005:
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline C_phillips

• Snappy Spaniel
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 06:34:23 PM »
He has a raw frozen carrot most days... i dcn't know how he does it, but they last about 15 seconds too!  :005: >:D

Yes the orange poo's are a bit unpleasant arent they!  :lol:
Owner of Jake, the fearful-reactive Spaniel.
Read about our journey with Jake:
SnappySpaniel.Wordpress.com

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 06:35:30 PM »
Dentastix don't actually clean teeth. They are nice treats, but it's kind of like chewing gum for us, sounds nice in the ad but doesn't replace toothbrush and toothpaste  ;) They last about 10 seconds here as well, so actually less use than chewing gum  :015: Best thing is to brush daily. But anything that they can chew for a while to get the saliva production up helps. Unfortunately most chews have a level of risk so should only be given while supervised. I quite like the tightly packed rawhide ones, just make sure the dog doesn't swallow large pieces of soggy rawhide and avoid the ones with knots on the ends because the knots can come off and cause trouble if swallowed. Raw bones are a brilliant alternative for the teeth. But same thing applies, large pieces can cause trouble if not chewed properly. Avoid chews that are too hard as they can damage the teeth. Dried pieces of meat are good, but don't last much longer than a dentastick so...

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 12:54:05 AM »
He has a raw frozen carrot most days... i dcn't know how he does it, but they last about 15 seconds too!  :005: >:D

Yes the orange poo's are a bit unpleasant arent they!  :lol:

aah but do they make it easier to see them in the dark
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Darwin

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 05:09:04 PM »
I've never been a fan of dentasticks, as they're basically fat.  Darwin always loved them and they usually last less than 10 seconds.  We've tried loads of different chews . The green toothbrush or hedgehogs ones. Dried fruit or veg strips etc. Stay bars etc. I'm also not a fan of raw hide, very messy and some rawhide is bleached.

Raw chicken wings was interesting as I'm not going to let Darwin have raw chicken on the floor in the house. So one chicken wing lasted over 90mins but I had to stay  outside with him, so that didn't work

How about trying dried rabbit ears.  They lasted about 10 mins. They can be difficult to find and cost about £3isn for a pack of 10