Author Topic: Accidents now while she sleeps :-(  (Read 2108 times)

Offline IonaD

Accidents now while she sleeps :-(
« on: September 23, 2019, 03:25:01 PM »
Hi all,

A few weeks ago I came on and asked for advice as Bella had a couple of accidents in the night in the front room. I did a urine test at the vets and they said she had a high pH level and there were some small crystals in her urine. We got the treatment and i made sure I took her out first thing in the morning and last thing at night plus the regular walks etc.

On the second week of her treatment she had a small accident while sleeping..just a tiny amount of pee during the day. She then had another small accident on our bed just after we had walked her, then this morning appears to have had a full on pee in her sleep while on our bed.

I took another sample to the vets and they immediately said she might be incontinent. She was spayed just before her first birthday but to date has never had any bladder issues (she is now 2.5 years old)

After they did another sample she said she still has a high pH and a low level in her ‘urine specific gravity’. The vet said this could be down to her diet and suggested we try the Royal Canin urinary dry food.

She is currently eating fish or meat, veg and potatoes which has all but cleared her lip fold dermatitis so I am reluctant to change it straight away. Plus when I read up about the Royal Canin it says it will increase the amount of urine produced...surely this seems counter productive?

I am seeing another vet for a second opinion and will go to another one if I need to.

I guess once again I’m asking if anyone has been through anything similar either their dog. I just feel like as soon as I fix one thing for her, something else goes wrong for her :-(

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Accidents now while she sleeps :-(
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 03:52:00 PM »
I found with Branston, when he was on dry food, he drank a lot more (I think most dogs do) and usually loads in one go, about a bowl full, and then would pee a lot in inappropriate places including my bed  :huh:. He also lost a lot of weight because his body just could not cope with dried food of any sort. He now has wet food and is a whole lot better - with no desperate drinking....or rushed needs to be outside... or accidents  :D

Do RC do a urinary wet food? maybe if so that would suit her  better, because the water will be in the food in more regulated amounts.

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 04:36:48 PM »
Just wondering if a dessert spoon of natural bio yogurt might help.....Ollie is very easily made loose and this had helped.  If you google lowering PH in dogs urine probiotic are mentioned.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline IonaD

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 06:05:24 AM »
I’m off to see another vet this afternoon who advised me to put her on this diet. I will certainly ask about the yoghurt to lower the pH.

RC do indeed do a urinary wet food so that too is an option.

It just worries me that she seems to have so little control of her bladder  :huh:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 09:38:09 AM »
I’m off to see another vet this afternoon who advised me to put her on this diet. I will certainly ask about the yoghurt to lower the pH.

RC do indeed do a urinary wet food so that too is an option.

It just worries me that she seems to have so little control of her bladder  :huh:

I hope you get some answers and can sort this, it must be distressing for you both and is obviously a worry for you too.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Nicnac49

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 08:50:30 PM »
Hi,👋 I am new to Cockers (having failed with my last Foster and adopted her) so my reply might not be any use at all but a previous labrador I owned had the same problem.
The vet told me that it is not uncommon in spayed bitches for there to be some loss of sphincter control because of the lack of hormones. He started her on Propalin which very quickly resolved the problem and after a short while we were able to stop it without it coming back.
Hope she gets sorted

Offline IonaD

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 09:33:01 AM »
Hi!! Welcome to COL :-)

I went to see a homeopathic vet who suggested I take some of the extra liquid from her diet and he  gave me some homeopathic medicines to try.

Touch wood it all seems to be going ok. I think maybe the temporary loss of bladder control may somehow have been linked to the urine infection as she was producing too much of it.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions...I just hope it’s not spay incontinence as she’s so young so fingers crossed we have cracked it.

x

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 11:53:42 AM »
Thank you everyone for your suggestions...I just hope it’s not spay incontinence as she’s so young so fingers crossed we have cracked it.

Yes, I hope so too

Offline Elisha9

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 02:30:51 PM »
Hope all is ok!
My boyfriends parents neutered their dog and he started weeing himself, and the female after soaking started getting problems also. Both were mastiff type dogs though. Unfortunately it can happen but let’s hope it’s not the case for her being so young! I haven’t spayed my 2 girls and I don’t plan on it because of this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk