Author Topic: Working v Show teeth and gums  (Read 1537 times)

Offline Caper21

Working v Show teeth and gums
« on: November 05, 2018, 08:04:31 AM »
Are working cockers less likely to have gum/teeth issues, less moulting and less chance of ingrowing eyelashes?
I ask as my show cocker experienced all three.
Thanks.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
Re: Working v Show teeth and gums
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 01:18:17 PM »
I have also known workers having the same issues.  I think its partly down to breeding / luck / diet and genetics.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 03:04:23 PM »
Working Cockers usually have less coat, so although I expect they moult in the same way there simply won't be as much hair flying around.

I don't see why either type should be more or less affected by teeth or gum problems. I believe there's probably a genetic element in dental problems, much the same as in people, where some will naturally have stronger teeth and healthier gums. Diet can also be a factor, but I've never heard it said, or seen any evidence, that working Cockers are less likely to be affected.

I'm not sure about ingrowing eyelashes. I've always had show types and none of them has had the problem, but I know that as a breed some Cockers are affected by it. I don't know if it's a genetic issue.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 03:16:09 PM »
Not sure I can give any clear answer, only thing I can add is Ollie is a rescue and vet says he is show cum working and I certainly think that is right, my previous cocker was show and in my mind it was his jaw ie jowls  were deeper in the show and I would think that this could lead to lip fold infections.  If you look at show and working the nose is narrower in working and Ollie certainly does not have sort of skin at the side of jaw that shows have.

But I agree it might just be down to the dog and  Jay would let me clean his teeth - with Ollie it has been and is a battle.  Plus I have never heard it said about workers having less dental concerns.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 11:41:46 PM »
We have 3 wcs and 1 scs

Of the 3 wcs, one has nice teeth and very little coat (she does carry a genetic illness though), another has ok teeth and coat but at age 8 her eyesight is failing.  The third has awful teeth but thats
mostly down to what she eats   :020: and a beautiful glossy short coat that moults like a labrador.

The scs has the teeth of a 2 year old and is rapidly headed towards 8 years old. Other than her coat becoming wool-like post spay, she moults the least of all of them but has also been the most poorly over the years.  All offending causes have been removed !

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 03:56:53 PM »
2 working cockers - the liver one has to be clipped and sheds far less than my glossy shiny black boy.  He sheds bucket loads daily.....  ph34r
helen & jarvis x

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 05:16:29 PM »
2 working cockers - the liver one has to be clipped and sheds far less than my glossy shiny black boy.  He sheds bucket loads daily.....  ph34r

Its the black dogs here that moult the most - wonder if its colour related  :huh: