Cocker Specific Discussion > Health

First Aid Kit for dogs - what should I have please?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Colin:
Good idea Elaine.

I've pinned the thread, I'm sure it will prove useful for us all.

Bentley:
Have recently refreshed our car kit - we keep it in a plastic box inside the big box which has the water container, bowl and towels.  It has got cohesive tape but you can use duct tape or electrical tape whatever is cheap and you have to hand to tape dressings up, dressings, scissors, plastic bags and elastic bands, tweezers, an old tea towel or something similar that can act as a pressure pad, latex gloves, antiseptic solution and wire cutters/pliers (there is still a lot of barbed wire out there and it can be hidden in long grass!!)  You only need the basics so that you can remove foreign bodies, staunch bleeding etc before getting your dog to a vet - it doesn't need to be pretty or large - some advise that you have a muzzle in it too because even the calmest dog can snap if in pain and you will need to have all your fingers available to assist your friend in his hour of need!!

JaneDee:
Hi

Have a look at the site below, I bought one of their Dog/Cat First Aid kits at an agility show - is brilliant and was very good value and in a handy box with handle.

www.animalaiders.co.uk

Jane

pupdaddy:
Vet wrap is brilliant stuff, but still difficult to wrap a struggling cocker's paw on your own without letting it touch anything after you've soaked it in diluted Hibiscrub. Need to find a more satisfactory way of stopping it getting wet - the old drip bags our vet uses aren't long enough and fall off. I've also starting using antiseptic gel on the wound (which is hopefully healing)

WarwickshireFlyball:
Oh I can sympathise with this - we've just recovered from a pad being sliced through and Toby was a real wriggler when it came to vet wrap. He came home from the vet with a boot which went almost up to his elbow to wear when he was out. It wasn't totally waterproof so in the muck and wet he had a poo bag tied round it - I kept telling him 'everyone'll be wearing them next season!' but he wasn't convinced! We have also been putting manuka honey on the wound and it healed amazingly fast - I don't know whether it would have healed that quick without it but would use it again for sure...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version