Author Topic: Cost of Show puppies  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Afc69

Cost of Show puppies
« on: July 07, 2020, 03:46:58 PM »
Hi, new to this forum, first post.

In fact, new to dogs in general. I’m 58 and never owned one but very keen to do so, as soon as. Our 19 year old cat died at the weekend and we always said we’d wait till his passing till getting our first pup.

We have our hearts set on a show cocker but the cost has gone through the roof, in Scotland anyway (where we are) £2000 minimum now, about £600 before lockdown. Are the costs similar all over the country? Do  people think the costs will drop back down later this year?

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Cost of Show puppies
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 06:54:29 PM »
Hi, new to this forum, first post.

In fact, new to dogs in general. I’m 58 and never owned one but very keen to do so, as soon as. Our 19 year old cat died at the weekend and we always said we’d wait till his passing till getting our first pup.

We have our hearts set on a show cocker but the cost has gone through the roof, in Scotland anyway (where we are) £2000 minimum now, about £600 before lockdown. Are the costs similar all over the country? Do  people think the costs will drop back down later this year?

I have been looking online on various sites for a puppy for a neighbour (her request), and I have noticed too the extremely  large increase in prices for a lot of puppies. I for one would not encourage these people in their greed (for that's what it is imho) hopefully if enough folk refuse to pay these prices they will settle down again. I looked on the KC website to see if there are any sensible breeders in your area with puppies available , and sadly there are none atm, but

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/services/public/findapuppy/Default.aspx?id=Spaniel+(Cocker)

Click on the area you are interested in and it will take you to a new page with news of any pups available and/or an opportunity to be advised when the list changes. Good luck with your search, it can be frustrating, but so worth it when you find your bundle of joy.

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 10:25:58 AM »
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=120673.0

This is link to what Sue posted regarding this in May and the increase....and addresses this - hope this helps
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline sueneil

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 04:22:53 PM »
Please go and read my posts  (Sue Shinkfield) on the Facebook page of The Cocker Spaniel Club and then hopefully decide to wait until later this year or next when responsible cocker breeders can put their plans to mate and breed litters back into action. There are very few exceptions to the greedy back yard breeders who are looking to fleece people for more money than their puppies are actually worth. The exceptions are reputable breeders who had full waiting lists well before the pandemic so knew who their precious puppies would be going to. NO-ONE SHOULD BE ASKING MORE THAN £1500 FOR A PUPPY- show type or working. And certainly those asking £ 2000+ are just plain greedy and ripping people off. You will get a quality puppy but you may have to wait! As Health and Welfare Officer for The Cocker Spaniel Club I continue to be appalled by the dodgy practice and dreadful deals being done at this difficult time.

Offline Afc69

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 05:18:51 PM »
Hi Sue, and thanks for your response.

The plan was to get a puppy from late October (after our holiday, which is now looking like a forlorn hope) but I guess even that timeframe is looking unlikely.

I’ve emailed a few Scottish breeders to get their take on potential timeframes and await their response but if they already had a waiting list pre Covid-19, then next year is probably looker like a better bet.

Offline sueneil

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 07:51:37 PM »
I'm sure your patience will be worth it and you will be rewarded with a quality puppy at the right price.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 08:41:56 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Please, please wait. There is a huge increase in the cost of a pup due to people buying 'pandemic puppies' and sadly, now as people start to return to work, many will end up in rescue. If you are not averse to a rescue then keep an eye on Springer Rescue for Scotland, they have both Springers and cockers. Obviously things are on hold just now, but as we are now in phase 3 of normality they will be reopening again soon. Other rescues are available, but that is where our girl came from so I am a bit of a fan.