Author Topic: Ian Dunbars chew toy feeding rather than bowl feeding  (Read 2673 times)

Offline PaulOnMc

Ian Dunbars chew toy feeding rather than bowl feeding
« on: February 04, 2023, 02:56:57 PM »
Hi all,

I’ve been reading Ian Dunbars book. He says that puppies are much better fed via a kong with food stuffed in them as it’s therapeutic and good for them. It teaches them to self ease and can help separation anxiety.

I’m planning on basically using kongs, slow feeding bowls etc, but I was also planning on raw feeding which could be very messy and impractical.
Any tips or advice on this would be greatly appreciated if you’ve done this yourself?

Many thanks

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Ian Dunbars chew toy feeding rather than bowl feeding
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 06:38:02 PM »
Hi and welcome.
I admit I haven’t read the book,  am not familiar with his train of thought so I wouldn’t presume to criticise but these are my thoughts:   I‘m a great fan of kongs, they do indeed seem to calm an excited pup and are great as a way of distraction when you’re introducing them to a crate or teaching them to stay alone for example but I don’t think I‘d want to use them for meals.
My dog had the small puppy kong to start with, its small and slightly softer which is easier on their milk teeth but you‘d need to fill one several  times to serve a meal. They‘re also a bit fiddly to clean out which would concern me a bit with raw meat. I used to fill one with soft liver sausage or cream cheese or similar and give it to Humphrey every night when we went to bed and he stayed in his box, but I then only had to wash it once a day,  ;)
Does the author suggest when they can be „weaned off“ ? I knew of a dog who‘d been hand fed as a puppy but then refused to eat from a bowl later on - quite possibly a single case but nevertheless it could give rise to an issue later on maybe.
Slow eating bowls can be useful although I‘ve never needed one, - Humphrey has a deep cocker bowl which keeps his ears out  :lol2: but he doesn’t gulp his food anyway. I feed raw, which I certainly do recommend.
As I say, there are possibly advantages from feeding from a kong if you have a dog with particular problems or issues so I wouldn’t want to argue against it but in normal circumstances I‘d consider it a bit OTT.
Enjoy your pup!
Jayne

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Ian Dunbars chew toy feeding rather than bowl feeding
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2023, 06:13:09 PM »
Like Jayne I have used a puppy kong to help calm puppy, but not used one as the main source of food. I'd be worried he was not getting all his rations if wet or raw food stuck to the insides of the kong.

I used to clean one when/if I used it with a child's toothbrush to get right into the little grooves.

I prefer my pups to have set meal times, but it is all a matter of personal choice.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.