Author Topic: Little cockerdile!!  (Read 2816 times)

Offline Angell

Little cockerdile!!
« on: January 16, 2017, 05:52:42 PM »
Hi completely new to all this but have spent a few days searching the net for advice!!
We have a beautiful 12 week male cocker spaniel Chester!! Came to live with us at 9 weeks!! Since day one has been very nippy, we started with the yelping, didn't work. Just kept going attaching himself to any body part possible!! We try distraction with toys but he continues to like hands and feet! Then goes into time out in the kitchen, bring him back to us a few moments later but it quickly starts again!! Sometimes feel like it's more than play!! And we are actually the game?!!! The kids are been very good but seem a little wary, which is a shame as they have wanted us to get a family dog for years!! We have waited till the kids were older now 9 and 13.
I'm really hoping that when we can take him out and about on his lead from this coming Saturday things may improve??
I had cocker spaniels as family dogs when I was a child, and remember they can be a challenge lol!! But also remember how loving they are! Hence the choice for our family!!
I just feel a little overwhelmed at present!! Any advice greatly appreciated!!
My hands look shredded!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mandymlc

Re: Little cockerdile!!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 06:21:40 PM »
Effie was the same when she was younger - I tried endlessly to have nice cuddles but all I got was bitey bitey! I'm sure many people on here will say exactly the same thing. They explore things with their mouths when they are little, and anything that moves (hands and feet) is far more exciting than toys. It's their way of learning about the world and mostly is good natured. Some are more bitey than others, it's just luck of the draw I believe.

Effie grew out of it at around ten months and We now have lovely cuddles, although she always needs something in her mouth to chew for some reason! They are busy little dogs and like to have something to do - I do believe it doesn't last though. You are totally right, they are a challenge but totally worth it in the end!
🐶

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 06:41:46 PM »
Hi and welcome to you and Chester. Mandymic is absolutely right, I think we've all gone through this problem, some maybe worse than others but, certainly in our case, it does get better and they do grow out of it. Main thing is be consistant, as soon as biting starts, stop playing immediately and show dissaproval by completely ignoring him. I used to just say NO sternly, look away and take the toys away. Its also a good idea to keep a toy in your hand and play with that rather than using your hands.
Plenty of rest (they need loads at that age) is important and try to avoid over excitement (ha ha, I hear you saying! 😉), but keeping play sessions short rather than letting them go on until he gets really wound up helps too!
Looking forward to hearing more - you've come to the right place, they're a great bunch on here and threre's always a sympathetic ear if things get tough! And, we Love pictures!  ;)

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 06:44:35 PM »
What we did was putting a soft toy in Henry's mouth anytime he was calm enough for a brief cuddle. Because he loves cuddles so much he soon started getting a toy when he wanted a fuss. He still runs to get a toy when he wants to say hello! This helped to gradually reduce the nipping at hands. Ankles were fair game for a good few weeks. I sometimes had to stand on a chair to get away. I think yelping just encourages it. Because it is play, it's best to react as little as possible. It IS infuriating, but they do grow out of it.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Angell

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 06:51:57 PM »
Thanks for the response!
It's so nice just knowing that it's normal and I've not brought a savage beast into the house!!
I'm at present on the other side of the kitchen stair gate!! Don't fancy another hole in my sock tonight!!
Time out today seems constant!
Thanks for the support!!!!

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 06:55:31 PM »
Hi to you and Chester. They can be bitey little critters but they are really little love bites nips.
they do grow out of it and replace it with cuddles . Until then I recommend chain mail gloves and welly boots  :005:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 06:56:18 PM »
Thanks for the response!
It's so nice just knowing that it's normal and I've not brought a savage beast into the house!!
I'm at present on the other side of the kitchen stair gate!! Don't fancy another hole in my sock tonight!!

What, you still own socks  ;)
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 06:57:11 PM »
Thanks for the response!

O'h you'll get plenty more holes in your socks! They just LOVE socks, whether they're on your feet, in the washing basket or still in the bag you just brought them home in! (You'll, soon know what I mean.... ;) :005: )

Offline Angell

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 06:57:33 PM »
Haha!! Not many!!! Well the ones I do have holes [emoji23]

Offline lescef

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 07:21:29 PM »
Hi. Yes, some dogs are more mouthy than others. Maddie was dreadful, my arms looked awful, but they do grow out of it.
I found time out didn't work well - it took me too long to get up and get her into the kitchen! So, I used to walk away instead. Any noise you make is seen as a reward so try not to react at all. I used long toys so that hands could be out of the way. Then work on impulse control. Teach a drop then a wait than allow the play to continue, that way the dog learns to control itself.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Angell

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 07:23:58 PM »
Hi. Yes, some dogs are more mouthy than others. Maddie was dreadful, my arms looked awful, but they do grow out of it.
I found time out didn't work well - it took me too long to get up and get her into the kitchen! So, I used to walk away instead. Any noise you make is seen as a reward so try not to react at all. I used long toys so that hands could be out of the way. Then work on impulse control. Teach a drop then a wait than allow the play to continue, that way the dog learns to control itself.

Offline Angell

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 07:29:09 PM »
I know what you mean about taking to long to get to time out! Sometimes feel that by the time we get there the reason is forgotten?? When I stop fussing or playing with him, stand still or walk away he bites my feet and barks???
Trying really hard to praise the good behaviour!
We are trying the drop command, very hit and miss at the moment!! When he's on one no command seems to work!!!
[emoji15]

Offline lescef

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 07:53:30 PM »
Yes, I always thought the reason was forgotten by the time I'd got her out. Don't have a solution for biting ankles other than try to stick a toy in his mouth!  >:(
You need to teach the drop etc when he's relaxed, maybe just after he's woken up. Definitely no good when he's already wound up. Lots of sleep too - up to twenty hours a day!

Offline lescef

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 10:17:31 AM »
Also I should have added the leave command. Google 'It's yer choice'. Great way of teaching impulse control. ;)

Offline Angell

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 10:36:15 AM »
I'm watching some u tube videos as we speak!! Whilst Chester is snoring away [emoji3]