Author Topic: Car crate problem  (Read 2497 times)

Offline Rollo58

Car crate problem
« on: August 27, 2019, 07:13:28 PM »
Hi
Collected our 8 week old puppy 4 weeks ago after a 3 hour drive home and he was fine on my wife’s knee.
Around a week later we tried him in a cage in the back of our hatchback and he is really distressed even now at 12 weeks.
Tried very short journeys and treats but no difference resulting in him emptying and crying.
He is caged in the house and isn’t a problem.Would be grateful for any suggestions.
Thank you.

Offline PaulJ

Re: Car crate problem
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 07:51:52 PM »
When we got pup we put travel crate of back seat of car and restrained it using seat belts and cam buckle cargo straps. I think he benefited being closer while going through all the shock and settling into his new home etc.

This was only ever a temporary solution. We have only moved him into a permanent travel crate in the boot of car within the last week. He was getting a little big for the temporary one. A full-size crate would have been too big for him up until recently anyway.

Offline IonaD

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 06:01:11 AM »
We had the same problem with Bella. We too moved the crate to the back seat but she would still become quite distressed, despite being crated at home. We then  started to put her in the back seat restrained by a dog seat belt and harness and the problem stopped.

I understand that this isn’t an option for everyone but as it’s just the two of us plus Bella it works for us. We recently drove from Italy back to the UK this way and she was fine. I think she prefers the small amount of freedom she has with the seatbelt.

Offline Blondeduke

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 08:26:01 AM »
Hi hope pup more settled now. Pups probably scared lots new stuff noises to get use to? We did make sure they could see us I would sit in back car to look over into crate & we could keep an eye reassure pup when v young but as long as can't choke chewing said toy etc  we always put favourite toy from his vast toy collection in with him but gradually that's not now essential. More a comfort item & even same bedding for comfort smell. He had a teddy the breeder sent him home with it stunk!That teddy was gold. But he is 9 months & I only just threw it away yesterday. 😁 They will get use to it & usually it means car=walk/ fun etc.

Online MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 01:15:13 PM »
It's a shame when your pup is not keen on car travel, but some just are not happy with it. We have had 5 dogs and only 3 would travel.  Although crated is safer, try a rear seat belt attachment so it can see you. There are pills and potions on the market but can not recommend any. Tried pills on our staffy but she still whinned, panted and steamed the car up on our 5 hour drive to our new house
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Rollo58

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 12:35:17 PM »
Thanks for your replies.
We’re still struggling But persevering on the basis of short trips can mean walks and play.
Tried securing him in the bot with the parcel shelf removed and no cage but still crying and pooping.
Considering a harness but so hard to determine which size.
Really hoping he isn’t going to be like this permanently as we have so many places we’d love to take him.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 12:58:34 PM »
Jinley will sit in a car for hours but not if put into a crate in the boot.  It might be motion sickness.  Why not try and travel a short distance with her on the back seat with a harness and restraint with your wife with her.  If she settles then try it with your wife in the front.  At least you can eliminate whether it is the car or position of where she is sitting.

Online MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 03:42:00 PM »
my brother has 2 dogs and both do not travel well. Their nemesis is roundabouts. going round them makes them both throw up . So every car journey has to be planned with the least number of them negotiated, Left exits or straight overs are just about acceptable  :005: 
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Albert Tatlock

• Site Member
  • Ttthhhrrrrrrppppp!
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 06:14:36 PM »
I picked up my pup last Wednesday & despite having him in a soft crate in back seat where he could still see me he howled. I bought the small bottle of pet remedy from pets at home & the affects were instant. All I get now are a couple of whines when first start the car up. I’m hoping through time he will settle without having to use the pet remedy. It does have a smell but I don’t find it too bad, and prefer it to an upset pup.

Offline Jenn_Rooney

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2019, 09:09:50 PM »
Hi we had the same problem with Bonnie. She hated the crate. We tried it for nearly 4 months and eventually we got her a wee harness that acted as a seatbelt this was recommended to us by a friend. We placed her on a quilt in the back seat with a nyla bone and there wasn't a peep out of her. We tried the crate again and after this and she just went back to whimpering and crying. We just stuck with the harness idea after this as she was happier and we weren't distracted while driving.