Author Topic: Bringing my boys home!  (Read 5186 times)

Offline tadobunny

• Site Member
Bringing my boys home!
« on: July 18, 2006, 07:36:38 PM »
Hello,

For anyone who hasn't seen my puppy post we are bringing our 2 new boys home on tuesday, we were wondering whats the best way to transport them whilst there in the car?

Ta

Helen x

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
Re: Bringing my boys home!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 07:43:35 PM »
We bought a pop up kennel from the Pound Shop to bring our little boys home in.

Offline tadobunny

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 07:58:57 PM »
That sounds like cracking idea!! I won't ask how much it was!! :005:

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 10:17:45 PM »
We took our son and his girlfriend with us and they sat on our knee, but they now travel in harnesses as the cage won't fit in the boot of the shogun with the back seats down.

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 10:28:58 PM »
My OH sat in the back with him.  At first he put Barney next to him on the seat as we thought it would be cooler for him than on his knee but he immediately got up and got on his knee.  :luv:

We have done the same bringing all three of them home as puppies.  After that they've all been in crates in the car until they get a bit older. I couldn't bear to put them in the crate for their first journey I thought they had enough to contend with.  :-\  If you do intend to have them on your knee or on the seat next to you make sure you put a few towels under them.

I have seen suggested before on here putting them in a cardboard box, open of course  ;) , with towels in, and they placed it in the passenger side footwell. Just another idea for you, to confuse matters further!!!  :005:

Can't wait for loads of pictures! Only 7 sleeps! Decided on Cooper's brothers name yet?
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline tadobunny

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 06:58:15 AM »
I have seen suggested before on here putting them in a cardboard box, open of course  ;) , with towels in, and they placed it in the passenger side footwell. Just another idea for you, to confuse matters further!!!  :005:

Can't wait for loads of pictures! Only 7 sleeps! Decided on Cooper's brothers name yet?

I am very exciting..OH's mum is taking me to pick the up though and i'm (quietly) getting annoyed at all the people that want to come to pick them up/come round on their 1st day home..i know it exciting but i really don't want them to get flustered!!!! >:(

On a positive note! We decided last night to call him Bruce (a late contender in the name game) after Bruce Campbell (actor) I was campaingning for Vince! But i like Bruce to as it's very different to Cooper.

Thanks for reply

Helen x

Offline Ellie

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 09:38:15 AM »
I bet you can't wait!!  Daisy came home on my knee.  I banished everyone from the house for the first few hours so that she could settle in after the journey and into her new home (and I could have her all to myself  :luv: ).  After she'd built up a bit of confidence she was soon deluged with visitors and loved it.

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 12:33:22 PM »
I am very exciting..OH's mum is taking me to pick the up though and i'm (quietly) getting annoyed at all the people that want to come to pick them up/come round on their 1st day home..i know it exciting but i really don't want them to get flustered!!!! >:(

On a positive note! We decided last night to call him Bruce (a late contender in the name game) after Bruce Campbell (actor) I was campaingning for Vince! But i like Bruce to as it's very different to Cooper.

Thanks for reply

Helen x

Out of you're list I like Bruce the best.  ;) The thought it went very well with Cooper but didn't sound like it.  :D

I really think you should ask your visitors not to call round straight away.  Max's breeder had told us not to have visitors for at least a couple of days so that the pup could get to know their new surroundings and feel secure in it before tackling a deluge of visitors.  I definitely think that you should ban them on the day you bring them home at least. If I were you I'd tell everyone that its not in the pups best interest for them to be inundated with visitors straight away, they'll have enough to contend with.  ;)
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline ali

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 05:23:12 PM »
ooh, the excitement!  :D

i bought a cardboard to bring barkley home in but he very quickly (within about 30 seconds) ended up on my lap (what could i do?!  ;) ) and stayed there quite quietly for about an hour before deciding to try some exploration around the back seat. the last half hour was lots of squirmy fun but he was perfect apart from that.

we had my OH's sister with us as she needed a lift home and she then spent much of that and the following day with us, playing with the pup. no-one else saw him for another 24 hours or so. interestingly, despite my sister in law then going back to uni for two months, barkley instantly recognised her when she came home for the holidays and greeted her with more excitement than anyone else for quite a while. we're convinced that he built up a special bond with her as well as us in the first few hours at his new home. therefore i'd agree that it's important to try to make it all about you and your pups to begin with as it really is time for them to bond with you and having too many people around really might confuse them.
'my goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks i am'

Offline tjsheps

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 05:40:20 PM »
My husband drove and I cuddled Blue all the way home,  A harness is used now though.  We also banned visitors for a good 3 days so that Blue would bond with us and be able to settle down without lots of noise and people.  Be selfish and enjoy some days  together before visitors start to call.

Trace, Blue and Charlie

Offline tadobunny

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 06:01:54 PM »
Thank you, i felt a little selfish and unreasonable, but i thought (deep down!) i was right...i'll have to do some sorting!

Thanks again

Helen x

Penel

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 10:26:18 PM »
2 puppies together ? have you thought this through thoroughly ? :o

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 10:31:14 PM »
I'm sure your OH had the final choice on naming Cooper (after Twin Peaks when you preferred Clunkers!). So shouldn't it be your turn to have the final say?  ;) Not that I want to start a domestic or anything.  ph34r

Offline tadobunny

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 06:55:09 AM »
2 puppies together ? have you thought this through thoroughly ? :o

Absoluley.although i am only a youngster i have had a long history with dogs, my step dad is a police dog trainer, we had the kennels at our home so were responsable for up to 6 Alsations at a time, i used to help him with parts of the training process. so even though it was a quick decision to get both pups i know that i will be able to look after them and give both of them a great life. Thanks for your concern however i am not somebody that would buy a dog then think 'Shouldn't have done this!!'
I appriciate that you would be concerned for their wellbeing though,

I'm sure your OH had the final choice on naming Cooper (after Twin Peaks when you preferred Clunkers!). So shouldn't it be your turn to have the final say?  ;) Not that I want to start a domestic or anything.  ph34r

That's correct...when i saw himw i decided he didn't look like a Clunkers... so we drew up a short list and thats the only one we both agreed on...it's very democratic in my house!!! :005: He looks like a Bruce to! :005:

Offline PennyB

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2006, 08:44:06 AM »
Good luck!
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!