Author Topic: Bringing my boys home!  (Read 5185 times)

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
Re: Bringing my boys home!
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2006, 02:47:43 PM »

Believe me, the cuteness that other people crooned over cut no ice with me at all; I couldn't wait for him to grow up  ph34r ph34r

I totally agree, I'm so glad Alfie is growing up now. I've loved him madly from the day we got him but I have to admit I LIKE him a lot more now at 7 months than I did at say, 3 or 4 months  ph34r

I think it really depends on the puppy.  I felt exactly the same as you two when Sapphi was a puppy.  She was a nightmare.  ph34r  I remember my mum saying "when she's all grown up you'll want her to be a puppy again" my reply was I most certainly will not, and I never have.  She's all grown up now, (well for a Lab anyway  :005: ) and I love her dearly and I also LIKE her very much too.  :luv:

It was totally different with Max.  He was a darling puppy, he was so good and so easy.  He was gorgeous inside and out.  :luv: I'd have him back as a pup any day.  :D

Barney's now just over 4 months old.  He too (at the moment anyway  ;) ) is a darling puppy.  He's not quite as well behaved as Max was, but compared to Sapphi he's a dream.  :005: He's quick to learn and very responsive which is great.  I love him to bits, and I also like him to bits too.  ;)  :luv:
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2006, 03:00:28 PM »

Believe me, the cuteness that other people crooned over cut no ice with me at all; I couldn't wait for him to grow up  ph34r ph34r

I totally agree, I'm so glad Alfie is growing up now. I've loved him madly from the day we got him but I have to admit I LIKE him a lot more now at 7 months than I did at say, 3 or 4 months  ph34r

I think it really depends on the puppy.  I felt exactly the same as you two when Sapphi was a puppy.  She was a nightmare.  ph34r  I remember my mum saying "when she's all grown up you'll want her to be a puppy again" my reply was I most certainly will not, and I never have.  She's all grown up now, (well for a Lab anyway  :005: ) and I love her dearly and I also LIKE her very much too.  :luv:

It was totally different with Max.  He was a darling puppy, he was so good and so easy.  He was gorgeous inside and out.  :luv: I'd have him back as a pup any day.  :D

Barney's now just over 4 months old.  He too (at the moment anyway  ;) ) is a darling puppy.  He's not quite as well behaved as Max was, but compared to Sapphi he's a dream.  :005: He's quick to learn and very responsive which is great.  I love him to bits, and I also like him to bits too.  ;)  :luv:

I didn't want to give the wrong impression of Alfie, he was actually a really good and responsive puppy and many times OH and I have said how lucky we've been with him but of course he still did puppy things and while we expected this and it was ok I'm still very glad now he's growing up. His basic personality hasn't really changed, he's always been a soppy, soft dog it's just now he's a (little) bit more sensible and thankfully the puppy chewing and play biting has stopped! I think now he's starting to see us more as friends rather than just playmates which makes a huge difference. Plus the older he gets the longer walks we can go on which is great  :D

I agree with you about Goldies Sam, our first family dog was a Goldie called Ben and just like Max he was an  :angel: from the day my mum and dad brought him home till the very sad day when we had to say goodbye to him 14 years later  :luv:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline janey

• Site Member
  • it wasn't me,honest
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2006, 03:59:01 PM »
hi helen hope cooper and bruce are settling in well
cant wait to see pics of those gorgeous boys  :luv:
love Janey and Molly xxx

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2006, 06:28:46 PM »

I didn't want to give the wrong impression of Alfie, he was actually a really good and responsive puppy and many times OH and I have said how lucky we've been with him but of course he still did puppy things and while we expected this and it was ok I'm still very glad now he's growing up. His basic personality hasn't really changed, he's always been a soppy, soft dog it's just now he's a (little) bit more sensible and thankfully the puppy chewing and play biting has stopped! I think now he's starting to see us more as friends rather than just playmates which makes a huge difference. Plus the older he gets the longer walks we can go on which is great  :D

I agree with you about Goldies Sam, our first family dog was a Goldie called Ben and just like Max he was an  :angel: from the day my mum and dad brought him home till the very sad day when we had to say goodbye to him 14 years later  :luv:

Sorry Nicola, I didn't mean to insinuate Alfie was a nightmare.  :-\  Sapphi was my worst nightmare  ph34r, but I'm sure Alfie wasn't yours.  :005:

I just wanted to say some puppies are easier than others.  Like Alfie Sapphi did the chewing and the play biting.  She also did mass distruction, bouncing off the walls from morning til night, she'd jump on the sofa (despite not being allowed on) and wee, to name but a few.  ph34r

Max never did any play biting or any chewing.  He trained really easily, with the exception of recall  ::) but that was rectified using a whistle fairly easily. He was always a calm puppy, really easy going and was a dream to teach walking to heel.
Barney too is quite calm, he doesn't chew (yet!) and his play biting stopped after a three days with training. So far, so good - lets hope it lasts.  ;)
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)