Author Topic: Indy sits funny....  (Read 4993 times)

Offline Sue67

• Site Member
Indy sits funny....
« on: September 20, 2006, 06:50:26 PM »
Hi All,

A little advice and reassurance needed please.

When Indy sits her back legs sort of splay out from underneath her, it's a bit hard to describe, but when a dog normally sits, their feet are tucked straight under their bums, Indy's sort of turn out to the sides and she looks 'untidy' is the best word I can use, also it's a bit like she's got a fat a*se and it's causing her legs to spread,( she hasn't btw).

OH says she looks like a sack of spuds when she sits.

Also when she goes into a down from a sit, she goes down flat and her feet are at right angles from her body so she looks like a letter T.

I'm dancing round it, so I'll just come out with it, could there be something wrong with her hips?  :huh:

When we got her, the breeder said the litter hadn't been hip scored and I didn't think to ask why not, and now I'm torturing myself with all sorts of nasty thoughts.  :-\

Does anybody elses puppy sit like Indy, she's 16 weeks tomorrow and I've only really noticed it in the last couple of weeks, she runs and jumps and has no difficulty climbing into my flower beds, is it just me being daft and over protective again?  :luv:

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Re: Indy sits funny....
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 06:56:06 PM »
I can't really help much really. As a youngster, Jazz sat in all different positions, legs all over the place.

CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline ruby

• Site Member
  • ruby
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 07:04:33 PM »
hi i have just come back from the vets this evening with the same concern (hip dysplasier) noticed ruby had a clicky hip but with no signs of pain they assured me that she was walking properly and didnt show signs of discomfort when they checked her,but to keep an eye on it and go back if things changed,vet told us that they would look at her again when she goes for her 1st booster when she has done all her growing,i would say though if your worried to get her checked i never slept last night so the peace of mind was very reassuring,please let me know how you get on if you get her checked im sure they will be someone along with a bit more advice to offer and try not to worry!

Offline Waggy One

• Site Member
  • Beau
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 07:09:17 PM »
Beau's brother Buster sits just like that - they asked the vet who said he was just a bit lazy  :005: it probably wouldn't hurt to ask your vet if only to put your mind at rest  ;)
Becs', Beau & Cookie xxx

Offline Denise

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 07:14:31 PM »
I cant be of much help but when my Indie lies down he lies with his legs splayed out to the side of him but the vet saw him a few weeks ago and there were no concerns!!
Denise

Offline scjmk

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 07:18:38 PM »
Dylan's mum and dad sat like that, and so does Dylan.  The breeder we got him from said that the ability to sit this way was a positive thing, and dogs that sit this way are less likely to suffer from hip problems.  She has kept in touch with a lot of the puppies that she has bred and no problems in that area has been reported back.  So I wouldn't worry, but ask your vet if this is going to worry you!

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 07:32:19 PM »
rolo does this plus the frog position ( legs straight out behind him) and the first time his breeder saw him doing that she said  "well theres nothing wrong with his hips!!" some dogs grow out of sitting like this its very much a puppy or young dog pose. I think its cute. :luv:

Offline tonio

• Site Member
  • Freddie is taking flying lessons:Stage one,taxying
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 07:43:40 PM »

Freddie sits just like that with his rear legs splayed outwards. I see that his brothers Beau and Buster are the same.If he looks ok walking and running, there's probably nothing to worry about.
Its a Cocker Thing!

Tonio

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 08:00:53 PM »
Hi  Sue67

I want to ask you when she lies down does she have her rear legs at sort of right angles to her bum (spread out)  wonder if I can get a pic of Fern in this posision to show you want I mean.  (Bit like frog legs)

If I can and this is how she lies then it is classed as a sign of good breeding ;)

Spelling edited

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 08:28:45 PM »
As far as i am aware you dont hip score litters. the kennel club says the sire and dam should be hip scored and should not be bred from if the score is above average for the breed so it is the parents hip score you should be seeking.
Hip scoring requires sedation of the dog and multiple xrays and so is not something undertaken lightly.
That said i have a feeling that there is no mandatory requirement for cocker spaniels to be hip scored as the avererage score for the breed is quite low. - i'm sure someone with more knowlege on COL will confirm or correct this.

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 08:49:24 PM »
Hi All,

A little advice and reassurance needed please.

When Indy sits her back legs sort of splay out from underneath her, it's a bit hard to describe, but when a dog normally sits, their feet are tucked straight under their bums, Indy's sort of turn out to the sides and she looks 'untidy' is the best word I can use, also it's a bit like she's got a fat a*se and it's causing her legs to spread,( she hasn't btw).

Bailey is 3 1/2 and still sits like this sometimes and he is absolutely fine, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.  I've tried to find a photo, but I can't find one where it is really clear  :-\  It does look awkaward, like he is sitting square on his bottom and the legs look like they have been stuck on either side  :luv:

Also when she goes into a down from a sit, she goes down flat and her feet are at right angles from her body so she looks like a letter T.

The frog position??

Bailey definitely does this.  Flat out on his tummy with the legs splayed out the back.  If he had a pointed nose he would look like concorde  ;) Completely normal as far as I know  :shades:
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 09:26:39 PM »
 ;) Sue . you've just described exactly how Flo sits and she's 3 years old! She never sits straight with back legs tucked under always sort of on one side of her bum with legs pointing the other way. She also lies down a lot with back legs out to the sides.Must be very supple.I think its a cocker thing as well. :D

Offline henaly

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 09:35:09 PM »
the only experience i have is with my irish setter, i noticed she was sittin and walking funny so took her to the vet as was worried, he confirmed hip problems but without an xray couldnt say exactly what so he put her on meds and said she had grown quick so give it 6 months and come back, people were telling me it was a setter thing but i was not so sure, anyway she got so much worse, her hips were clicking every step and she looked very uncomfortable so i took her back and he xray to confirm displacia, she is 7 months old and i am devastated.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 10:22:49 PM »
Had Jock x-rayed today and found the problem - hip displacia I thought but thankfully  x-ray confirmed that I was wrong. I only had x-rays done as I was so sure it was and so was a friend and the vet even thought so too ;)

We were surprised to find that it was not and glad even though vet found the answer which is not brilliant, but this can be sorted  ;)

Offline henaly

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 10:56:12 PM »
Had Jock x-rayed today and found the problem - hip displacia I thought but thankfully  x-ray confirmed that I was wrong. I only had x-rays done as I was so sure it was and so was a friend and the vet even thought so too ;)

We were surprised to find that it was not and glad even though vet found the answer which is not brilliant, but this can be sorted  ;)
so what is the problem?