Author Topic: Our beautiful Molly  (Read 5530 times)

Offline matt preece

• Site Member
Our beautiful Molly
« on: April 20, 2007, 07:24:46 PM »
We seem to have got to the bottom of the uncertainty of Molly's breed and we are 99.9% sure that she is a cross between a cocker spaniel and a basset hound! We have had a breeder and five vets look at her and they are sure that she has beaset in her, as we can clearly see. So we have just spoken again to the buyer and explained this and he is accepting of this but is not willing to give us a substantial amount of money back. He has looked on the internet and found cross breeds called Hush Bassets in America and is saying that they are worth £300. We paid £500 for Molly and we feel that this is not enough compensation, as we now do not have a pedegree cocker as was sold to us. I have said that I am going to Trading Standards with this and he is saying that he does not have the sufficient funds to return anymore than £200 to us.

Has anyone heard of this breed before and how much is a reasonable amount to pay for a cross, Me and Matt feel that £50 is sufficient and this has been confirmed by the RSPCA and another local rescue centre as being reasonable.

Look forward to your responses

Matt, Angela and Molly

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Our beautiful Molly
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 07:31:38 PM »
I'm glad you have got to the bottom of this at last Matt and I am sorry that you came across such a dishonest 'breeder' although I am sure that you would not change Molly for the world  :luv:  I think this guy is being totally out of order tbh, I have never heard of a 'Hush Bassett', I think he may be confused in that they use a Bassett Hound they use to advertise Hush Puppies shoes and therefore some people may call them Hush Puppy Dogs?!  ::)  If Americans are dumb enough to pay £300 for a crossbreed puppy when there are thousands of them in rescues then that's up to them but to basically invent a 'designer crossbreed' of dog in order to not give you your money back is totallly unreasonable imo, especially as this is not what you thought you were getting in the first place. I would definitely get Trading Standards involved, if he sold the whole litter at £500 each then I am sure he can afford to give you adequate compensation.

Good luck!

Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 07:37:04 PM »
I'm glad you have got the bottom of her breeding.  She is your little girl, whatever she is and she is beautiful  :luv:

Regards to the compensation, that is entirely a personal matter.  My opinion is that you were sold a cocker spaniel pup, when you became unsure of her breeding, you raised the matter with the breeder and they reaffirmed to you that she was a cocker, which blatently wasn't true.  I would only deal with Trading Standards from now on and I would take their advice on where to go from here.

Good luck.
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 07:37:32 PM »
one thing is for sure, she is a beautiful girl

My honest opinion is that whilst she is a beautiful girl you were intentionally deceived about her breeding - you were sold a pedigree cocker spaniel pup.  There is NO way this breeder should turn around now and offer you a discount for a crossbreed pup (which i guess is his admission of guilt).

He should refund the whole £500 really, but if he did do the first vacc's etc than these should be taken into account. 

It would be fascinating to see where the other puppies ended up and what their owners are thinking now.  i wonder if there is any way to trace the litter?

Have you notified the company that Molly was registered with?  They rely on honest breeders so this one should be blacklisted - again it would be very interesting to know what's said....

helen

ps i adore bassetts as well as cockers - i can't wait to see pics of her as she grows up (please keep posting ;))
helen & jarvis x

Offline Boof

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 07:41:47 PM »
I agree with the others.

I googled 'Hush Basset's and they do exsist in the USA, but bear in mind they are a deliberate fashion mix breed in that particular country and most likely frowned upon by a lot of people. People like that milk peoples money out of those puppies and it just isn't acceptable.

You obviously love Molly dearly and she is very lucky to have you. She's a little cutie.  :luv:

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 07:42:29 PM »
Agree with Nicola (yet again tonight :005:), the breeder is trying it on  >:( . (The lovely) Molly is a cross breed and not a pedigree as you were led to believe, pure and simple. Report the breeder to trading standards straight away. If he conned you, how many more people has he/is he doing it to?
 :huh: Funny that the breeder now accepts that she is a cross and not a cocker as he sold you, and if I remember correctly from your previous posts was still insisting Molly was a pedigree cocker not a month ago.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 08:26:50 PM »
He has looked on the internet and found cross breeds called Hush Bassets in America and is saying that they are worth £300.

I think this probably sums up the breeder's motives - what a pup is worth to him, just £ signs.  >:( Obviously Molly is worth much more to you than mere money but I really think you should pursue this through the Trading Standards on principle. Dodgy breeders like him need to learn that they can't deceive people like this without there being some kind of comeback.

Do you mind if I ask where you found this breeder, Matt ?

Offline matt preece

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 10:24:09 PM »
Thank you all for your responses, we will get in touch with Trading Standards on Monday and also contact the Registration Company too. In reply to where we heard about her it was on E-P**z website. With regards to the remaining litter we have seen one of Molly's brother's, this was just last Sunday for the first time and he looks a mirror image of Molly, so this was another alarm bell ringing for us that something was not right.

Anyway we will persue the matter and hopefully we will get it sorted soon.

Thanks once again for your support

We will post some recent pictures soon

Matt, Angela & Molly

Matt I've edited the name of the site for libel reasons!! ;)

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 10:27:44 PM »
So glad you have got to the bottom of this - please carry on here so we can keep a watch on your beautiful girl and see how she grows.   Everyone on here loves dogs - not just Cockers - and as yours is half cocker you are already part of COL  :005: :005:
I lurk on another website because Josie is a Springer crossed with a labrador, so I like to keep an eye on those forums too!
Maybe you will find a bassett forum too, but I can guarantee it won't be as much fun (or as friendly and helpful) as COL  :005:
Please post some more pix.
Hope your breeder gets his comeuppance from the Trading Standards >:D
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 11:18:19 PM »
Since reading about Molly my firend has had a similar experience.

She already has a dalmation and at long last OH has agreed that they have another.  They found a breeder who was due a litter and registered an interest in a puppy from that litter.  They arrived just before Easter except all 11 puppies have popped out as black retrievers (with a couple of white spots under chin).  :shades:

It seems that she must have "got out" just before mating to the pedigree Dalmation.

HOWEVER, I can't understand the fact that the breeder was advertising puppies at £300 and my research for her since this unfolded as made me think the breeder was anticipating they might not be pure breed because this seems very cheap.  I am positive that if they'd been spotty, they would have been sold as dalmations when in fact they probably were not, I wonder if the mating with the dalmation was hastily arranged to cover the KC registration, not sure if dog and bitch were hers.

Anyway friend has decided not to buy but her friend is although not sure what they now intend to sell at!

Glad your mystery is unfolding and I bet she'll be a pretty girl regardless of her breeding.  You could try small claims court to get money if needed, the threat might be enough and if they don't pay you could ask baillifs to intervene - depends how far you want to take it.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline matt preece

• Site Member

Offline debrand

• Site Member
  • My angels Barney 2004-08 and Jet 2005-09
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 06:41:20 AM »
Oh my goodness I absolutely love Basset hounds and so does my husband! A cross between a Cocker spaniel and a Basset :luv: :luv: I want one!!!
However I really hope you get compensation. I know you adore Molly (and who wouldn't) but the "breeder" charged you for something he didn't give you. And just think how many treats you could get for Molly with £450! ;)

By the way. I hope now that you know Molly is definitely half Cocker you will stay with this site. I want to see more pictures of her as she grows up! :luv:

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 08:05:15 AM »
Oh, she is just  :luv:  She definitely has a Bassett look. Don't know how the breeder thought he could pass her off as pure cocker though  >:D  One of Coco's playmates is a Bassett called Bridget and she is the most lovely girl - looks very comical when they are chasing around though.  When Coco gets too much, Bridget just sits on her  :005: :005:

I agree you should pursue it as you were conned by the breeder and as a matter of principle he should not get away with it.  >:(  Molly is gorgeous though  :luv:

Julie and Watson

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 08:38:05 AM »
awww molly  :luv: :luv: :luv: :luv:

lovely lovely pics of a beautiful young lady ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 09:11:05 AM »
Here are some up to date pictures of our baby taken last wednesday

She's gorgeous - you can definitely see the Basset influence more as she grows older.

As well as Trading Standards, you should also contact the site where you saw the litter advertised. In theory they should refuse to allow further adverts from this breeder although I'm not sure how diligent they really are about this >:(
Jane