Author Topic: Going to view my first Cocker Breeder on monday .....  (Read 5006 times)

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
Re: Going to view my first Cocker Breeder on monday .....
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 10:42:54 PM »
I think I got my puppy pen from ebay. I'm really glad the visit went so well, but I would get those health tests checked out. Maybe give them a call.  ;) Also I don't understand why the breeder says you can't call the pup Ninja. You can call the pup what ever you want. She will only choose the KC name and the name you choose does not have to be related as Morganas KC name is Lorebank Quality street.  ;)
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline kalem

• Limited Member
  • Me and my Gal xx
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 10:56:42 PM »
Congratulations, as for the Crate they are a blessing and I got mine from Ebay, black 36" think it was about £32.00  :D

I dont understand either why you cant call your puppy whatever you like  :-\

"My World is Orange" with a few blonde highlights
To the world my Cocker is just a dog, to me my Cocker is the World

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 08:20:54 AM »
Glad it went well - how exciting  :D

I got my crate from e-bay too - about £30 I think.

Maybe she means you can't choose the KC name - as has been said you can call your pup whatever you like but the registered name may be something completely different.  ;)  If the pup is nearly ready to be collected she should already have started the KC registration anyway surely?? :huh:  I chose Coco at 2 weeks so I was able to choose her KC name but then her breeder wasn't too fussy anyway.  ::)  >:(

I would def get the health questions sorted before you collect the pup - has she told you what tests have been done?  :huh:
Julie and Watson

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 09:03:14 AM »
How exciting. I like the name Buddy  ;) Molly was supposed to be a puppy called that but we ended up with a 2 year old rescue  already named  :D
You are so right getting insurance in place before the pup even comes home, we are with PetPlan who have paid out no q's asked, they are more pricey but in my experience worth it  ;)
I also got my crate for Ebay for a really good price.
Good luck with it all.
The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 09:26:09 AM »
Sound like your very much in love with puppy :luv: :luv:
But do get those health checks asked about. You will hopefully have the dog for many years so its worth checking to avoid heartbreak later on.
Sarah Dyllan Tyke and Lance

www.brimbeck.co.uk

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 11:14:59 AM »
Congratulations on finding your first puppy! You seem to be in love already but as others have said do check those tests. They are very important, is he a show or working cocker? You NEED to know this! Also, as the owners seem own both the Mum and Dad of the litter it sounds like it 'could' be a pet breeding which may mean that the tests aren't done.  :-\ Do check that out so that you are aware.  ;)
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2009, 12:06:31 PM »
aww congratulations - glad it went well  :D

Now then do you want a puppy pen or crate - TBH I would go for the crate as you can use it longer and it can also be the pups bed  ;)

My two cockers have a 36" crate with a single duvet in it - a 30" crate is the smallest crate i would use (this is normally big enough for a fully grown cocker, but I like mine to be able to totally stretch out  ;) so they have 36" - one each, so they both have their own space away from each other too)

My two tend to take themselves off to their crate when they want peace - although these days the door is only ever shut at night, but to begin with it was great to shut the pup in there out the way when I wanted to cook meals etc otherwise I kept tripping over them.

Good luck hope you find a name soon

Offline alexanders-mummy

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2009, 12:08:31 PM »
ooh now I'm relay confused i cant remember what tests Linda said she had done ! >:( what are the tests that should be done please ? and how will i know to look at any certificates that they are good results ? also i couldn't find the kennel (Thornbrook )on the KC website ? how do i find out if she has registered the pups ? i got her contact info from the Ulster Cocker Spaniel Club so i thought that was good!! - ohhh I'm so confused ! ph34r

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2009, 12:34:01 PM »
I think they breed show type Cockers but obviously it's essential that you know this for sure. For the health tests the parents should both be Optigen DNA tested for PRA/prcd (eye disease) and you need at least one, if not both of them to be clear to know that the pups won't be affected by PRA. If the test has been done the breeder will be able to show you a letter from Optigen with the results on it. They should also be able to show you current clear eye certificates from the BVA for both parents (this test is done every year to check eye health, the Optigen test only needs to be done once as it is a gene test).

Both parents should also have been DNA tested for FN (fatal kidney disease) and again the breeder should be able to show you a letter/certficate with the results. Hip scoring is desirable but not as essential as the Optigen or FN testing. The DNA tests are vitally important, it's not good enough for the breeder to say that the dogs have been checked by their vet and are 'very healthy'. A few people on here have tragically lost dogs at very young ages due to genetic disease and without the testing it could happen to anyone, you have no way of knowing if the pups are affected or not unless the parents have been tested.

I would call the breeder and ask about the health testing and about the KC registration, if neither has been done then hard as it is once you've been to see a puppy then I would strongly advise you to walk away and find another tested, registered litter for your own peace of mind.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2009, 12:48:20 PM »
It looks at though they breed both English and American cockers in which case i'd want to know for sure they did the testing  ;)

BTY My insurance for Gizzy is around £15 a month and the crate we have we got at a big local market for around £30, probably about 2 foot x 3. Food, worming/defleaing etc probably comes in at around £20 a month so i'd say £40 a month covers her costs, mind you, we don't ever use kennels, dog walkers etc

Offline alexanders-mummy

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2009, 01:02:06 PM »
hi all sorry for the delay in updating you, spoke to the breeder who says its no probs to view the certs on Monday (what should they say or even look like ?) - but she only registered the pups with the KC this week so i wont get a KC cert with the pup is this normal ? :shades:

Lise

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2009, 04:04:53 PM »
Not getting the KC cert until after is fine but what tests did she say she had?

Offline HeatherFeather

• Mavie
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2009, 03:50:10 PM »
Wow, Lise I'm so happy for you and your family!!

(and sinfully envious and jealous that its not that easy to go out and find a good breeder of anything other than labs, retreivers and shepherds on this side of the lake)

My only advice is to be strong, and go alone when you pick up the pup...and not to be afraid to turn your back and walk out if the health tests don't pan out AND if the breeder can't/won't put in writing that she won't take the pup back if for some reason you can't ever care for it. (its gotta be easier to back out of a situation involving puppies, when it doesn't involve a child at the moment!!)

We didn't have that option with our last dog, as we got him through private rescue....and the scars that my little guy wears now will last his lifetime.  So even though that scenario isn't likely to happen....its never impossible....and children can sometimes bring out weird things in dogs...and children don't always understand, or care about the rules (especially once they become 5 year olds!! :005:)

Enjoy your new family member!!!

Looking forward to seeing pics of "Ninja?" when you bring him home (cause we all know you can call the pup whatever you please in your own home  ;) )
~*~*~*In Puppy Love!!!!*~*~*~

Offline SarahS

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2009, 09:24:06 PM »
Wow, Lise I'm so happy for you and your family!!

(and sinfully envious and jealous that its not that easy to go out and find a good breeder of anything other than labs, retreivers and shepherds on this side of the lake)

My only advice is to be strong, and go alone when you pick up the pup...and not to be afraid to turn your back and walk out if the health tests don't pan out AND if the breeder can't/won't put in writing that she won't take the pup back if for some reason you can't ever care for it. (its gotta be easier to back out of a situation involving puppies, when it doesn't involve a child at the moment!!)

We didn't have that option with our last dog, as we got him through private rescue....and the scars that my little guy wears now will last his lifetime.  So even though that scenario isn't likely to happen....its never impossible....and children can sometimes bring out weird things in dogs...and children don't always understand, or care about the rules (especially once they become 5 year olds!! :005:)

Enjoy your new family member!!!

Looking forward to seeing pics of "Ninja?" when you bring him home (cause we all know you can call the pup whatever you please in your own home  ;) )

Our breeder was horrified at the name Reggie, so we pretended we were going to call it a name she liked, and then as soon as he was safely home and paid for, we called him what we liked!

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2009, 07:32:20 PM »
Love the name 'Buddy'...............and he's gonna be your best Buddy.........guarantee that!!!  Good luck...Happy days ahead. x
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx