Author Topic: Cuts all over legs from puppy  (Read 3183 times)

Offline PennyB

Re: Cuts all over legs from puppy
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 09:23:42 PM »
This is also quite new to you at the moment and you're both adjusting to having each other in your life but it will come in time - however, you may need to compromise occasionally to be able to do this.

Also, as he's a working cocker he may also need lots of stimulation as he gets older (not just exercise) as some can be very lively. There are also ways of stimulating them without overstimulating them as well.

When mine were pups I often worked with them in the same room - they would either have a chew or toy or kong to keep them occupied.

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
Sorry to hear your having a tough time, it does get better!

When we had Baja, he was kept in half of the kitchen with fences around keeping him in there, my OH works from home, so it sounds like a very similar situation. For the first few weeks I used to dread going home after work as it would be my turn to sit with him for an hour in his space whilst OH made dinner and Baja went crazy with me. Then he would eat whilst we ate, then sleep and then it would be time for me to give him another hour of playtime and try and keep him awake until midnight just so we could get 5 hours of sleep  :005:

I think being our first dog we were very cautious and unsure of what to expect, but within time you could trust him more and more and give him more freedom. Once he was out on walks things really changed and life got easier.

My OH does have an office upstairs, but moved downstairs to the kitchen table (in Baja's space) so he could spend time with him. As Colin has said they do just settle down and understand when they can and cant have your full attention.

Funny how Baja is almost 2 and a half and my OH is still working downstairs but moved to the comfort of the sofa :005: Nothing to do with Baja I must add, I think its Holly on This Morning that's keeping him down here  ph34r

When we got Mole things couldn't have been more different, we were more relaxed and he only had a crate to go into, no big space just for him. We were laid back and started to realise that with Baja we just didnt get it and constantly thought he was going to chew up the house, in reality he's just not that kind of dog and at the end of the day these things can be fixed cant they!

Two things we couldn't have lived without was a routine that was stuck on the fridge which covered every hour of the day, which we made to work with OH's work pattern and a crate. That way when you need to have a meeting on the telephone you can plan your time to coincide with giving him some training/playing for 30 minutes before popping him in his crate to sleep.

As I've said things DO get easier, worry less and enjoy more. I wish someone had told me that when we had Baja  :blink:

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 09:45:57 PM »
i dont remember meg being anything like this!!... my aunties little man isnt like this either and hes about 13 weeks :huh: its actually scaring me now :005: as we are getting a pup in the new year sometime ph34r ... i may have to borrow 4 sets of feet pads/protectors, shin pads, head gurads from karate :lol: :lol: xxxx
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline Londonwriter

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2009, 07:54:13 AM »
When we had Baja, he was kept in half of the kitchen with fences around keeping him in there, my OH works from home, so it sounds like a very similar situation. For the first few weeks I used to dread going home after work as it would be my turn to sit with him for an hour in his space whilst OH made dinner and Baja went crazy with me. Then he would eat whilst we ate, then sleep and then it would be time for me to give him another hour of playtime and try and keep him awake until midnight just so we could get 5 hours of sleep  

I think being our first dog we were very cautious and unsure of what to expect, but within time you could trust him more and more and give him more freedom. Once he was out on walks things really changed and life got easier.

My OH does have an office upstairs, but moved downstairs to the kitchen table (in Baja's space) so he could spend time with him. As Colin has said they do just settle down and understand when they can and cant have your full attention.

Funny how Baja is almost 2 and a half and my OH is still working downstairs but moved to the comfort of the sofa :005: Nothing to do with Baja I must add, I think its Holly on This Morning that's keeping him down here  ph34r

When we got Mole things couldn't have been more different, we were more relaxed and he only had a crate to go into, no big space just for him. We were laid back and started to realise that with Baja we just didnt get it and constantly thought he was going to chew up the house, in reality he's just not that kind of dog and at the end of the day these things can be fixed cant they!

Two things we couldn't have lived without was a routine that was stuck on the fridge which covered every hour of the day, which we made to work with OH's work pattern and a crate. That way when you need to have a meeting on the telephone you can plan your time to coincide with giving him some training/playing for 30 minutes before popping him in his crate to sleep.

As I've said things DO get easier, worry less and enjoy more. I wish someone had told me that when we had Baja  :blink:

Thank you! :) This sounds like us. I think we're overanxious puppy parenting. I won't let him out of my sight for a second when he's out from behind his barrier in case he somehow kills himself or simply poos indoors. So, given I've got to work, eat, go to the loo, etc. he spends a lot of time there. Like you did, my husband and I do 'shifts' caring for Toqey while the other does stuff.

We're also having a real toilet training nightmare with him at the moment. In good weather, he goes outside like a good dog, scratches to come back in when he's finished and even alerts me to wanting to go. When it's raining, he refuses to go outside, pees next to the outside door and poos wherever he fancies in the house. If I take my eyes off him for a second, he'll have run under something and pooed.

It's not simply he's locked away though. He's been out since I got up this morning and, about an hour in, he suddenly decided he wanted to go on a biting binge. He'd just finished a Kong so I thought he wanted to play. I played with a tug toy, but he got bored of it and started biting me instead. It's hard to hide from him/walk away when he bites because he follows us closely. Just now, he bit me (drawing blood) because I was trying to wipe an anti-bacterial wipe over him and I wouldn't let him eat it.

Anyone know whether it will get better once he can go for walks? He had his second vaccination on Thursday and I was thinking of taking him on a short walk around our street tomorrow. It's two days earlier than I'm supposed to, but we live in a suburban, built-up area so the only health danger should be from foxes, not unvaccinated dogs. I'm planning three, 15-minute walks a day for the next week or so.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2009, 08:51:11 AM »
We're also having a real toilet training nightmare with him at the moment. In good weather, he goes outside like a good dog, scratches to come back in when he's finished and even alerts me to wanting to go. When it's raining, he refuses to go outside, pees next to the outside door and poos wherever he fancies in the house. If I take my eyes off him for a second, he'll have run under something and pooed.

Do you go outside with him & stay with him until he's "been"? If you don't, you need to :D It's not much fun when it's raining but it's something every puppy owner has to do (I'm having to do it with our old boy at the moment so it's not just puppies who don't want to go out when it's raining and forget where they're meant to go ;))

I don't know whether you have any books on puppy training but if you haven't, a good one is Dunbar's "After You Get Your Puppy" which covers all the training issues you're currently struggling with (only £5.90 on Amazon at the moment)

Jane

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 09:04:12 AM »
You have got some great advice here.  Believe me, we have all been there  ::)  Sounds like pretty normal puppy behaviour to me - nothing prepares you for the reality of having a puppy in the house.

Coco was my first dog and not an easy pup either.  What a shock - it was really not the idyllic first few months I had imagined  :-\  Biting, whining, peeing and pooing everywhere, hanging off my clothes, shopping bags, hands all the time and destroying everything in sight  >:(  The first few weeks/months were hell.  I found though that once I realised that it was all perfectly normal and relaxed a bit it improved a lot.  

Joining COL was a lifesaver - other people had told me that their dog was housetrained in 2 weeks, never chewed blah blah blah and I felt I was doing it all wrong.  I wasn't (well not all of it  :005: ) - all puppies are different and it takes time but it does improve so hang in there and come on here for a rant when you need it ;)  :005:

I agree that you should go out with him for toilet breaks and praise like mad when he performs - he is still very young and needs to know when he does right.  I got Coco at this time of year and so spent many hours outside with her in all weathers - not nice but it really is the only way.  I still go out with her at night to do her wees to make sure she goes - how else do you know they have gone??

Re the biting - he needs to know that when he gets over-excited the games stop - so, as has been said, tell him no the first time and the second time he nips, remove yourself from the room for a couple of minutes - he needs to learn that if he behaves like that then the fun and attention stops.

Persevere and it will get better :D
Julie and Watson

Offline Londonwriter

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2009, 09:23:55 AM »
Do you go outside with him & stay with him until he's "been"?

Yes. He stands at the door looking at me like "English women might go out in the midday rain, but I ain't a mad dog." Not even standing in the middle of the yard holding fish treats will coax him out. He will stand on the doorstep craning his neck out towards the treats, put a paw down, make a disgusted noise, lift the paw distastefully, and run back to pee inside. He's brilliant normally.

I have tonnes of dog books. They all give completely different advice. Likewise puppy trainers. We had a puppy trainer come to visit to teach me clicker training (we were worried all puppy classes were full). She said never restrain or raise your voice at the puppy if it's biting - treat and turn away. When we went to puppy classes, the trainer there told us to say 'Off', "Get off' with increasing firmness and then gently restrain the puppy. We tried all these things - he followed us when we tried to walk away, he got more agitated/bitey when we were firm with him.

The problem seems to be that he's not a black box - I can't prod button A and he does action B. I'm definite he knows that he won't get a treat if he pees indoors and he should pee outdoors. All his behaviour in good weather suggests he knows he should go out to pee. When he has accidents, he's excited or just loses bladder control because he's little. It's just, once he sees it's raining, it seems he would prefer to pee indoors than get a treat. I'm not sure how to argue with that kind of logic.

I'm sorry for sounding despairing. We wanted a hiking companion dog and we got a puppy rather than an adult Cocker because we needed to know if we could cope with kids. I expected him to be horrible, but thick - like Marley in Marley & Me. I never expected him to be so bright that I'd end up in some kind of logical negotiation with him. It's like managing human staff.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2009, 09:41:39 AM »

I would definately stick with the advice your clicker trainer gave.... restraining a pup can lead to a dog who is handshy (and might encourage your dog to nip more, in an attempt to get away).
Is there a way you could close a door between you and your pup, so he can't follow when you walk away?  As you've found the firm approach just leads to confrontation, and can escalate the problems...

Cockers are very intelligent and you're right, everything really does feel like a huge negotiation process...
It DOES get better...  ;)

I think a house line would be a very helpful aid for you at the minute (this is a very very lightweight lead that can be left on in the house)... it would mean that when he starts playbiting you can gently lead him back to his pen, so he learns that biting signals the end of a game/interaction etc.  You can also use it to gently guide him outside for toilet training (and, yes, Honey was the same - she still hates going out in the rain!!!).

It is very confusing as there are so many people out there who claim to be telling you the right way to go about things, and there is so much conflicting information about.

All I can say is that the calm, kind distract (when possible), interrupt (with a "Ah" or yelp) and ignore (when biting continues) worked for us.... it took time, and I recall moments when I was in tears... I ended up having to wear an old pair of trousers over the top of whatever I was wearing, so that it didn't matter if Honey put another set of holes in them  ::) .  Clicker training (to keep the mind active) and walks will help to regulate his energy levels...
But I look at Honey now and it was definately worth every soul-destroying minute!!!  :luv:  :005:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2009, 09:55:45 AM »
We wanted a hiking companion dog and we got a puppy rather than an adult Cocker because we needed to know if we could cope with kids.

Having kids is nothing like having a dog/puppy and I dont think its a very good reason for getting a pup, sorry if I sound negative  :-\  Im sure you had other reasons aswell  :blink:
Im sure with lots of effort & time your little one will grow up to be a fantastic companion!

This link's about children/pups  ;)
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=66656.0

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2009, 10:31:45 AM »

He stands at the door looking at me like "English women might go out in the midday rain, but I ain't a mad dog." Not even standing in the middle of the yard holding fish treats will coax him out. He will stand on the doorstep craning his neck out towards the treats, put a paw down, make a disgusted noise, lift the paw distastefully, and run back to pee inside.

At this age he is still pretty small, so why not pick him up to take him outside? Morgan was everything you describe as a pup, OH's legs were covered in scratches and nips, and I was driven to weep with frustration at times. It was knowing that it would all eventually come out ok that kept us sane!

We used to pick him up for toilet and carry him out a few yards away from the door, giving him cue words as we went. We used to say "outside" as we went through the door and "go busy" when we put him down. Yes, sometimes he would try to run back so we had to be quick and firm. Once he'd performed, we'd clap, bend down to squidge him, crooning what a clever boy he was, not always easy to be cheery when it was tipping down with rain on a cold Autumn day! Eventually he learned that if we asked if he wanted to go "outside", he would run to the back door and perform as soon as he went out. It took time though and there were still inevitable accidents that we just had to take in our stride.
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2009, 11:29:41 AM »
I'm sorry for sounding despairing. We wanted a hiking companion dog and we got a puppy rather than an adult Cocker because we needed to know if we could cope with kids. I expected him to be horrible, but thick - like Marley in Marley & Me. I never expected him to be so bright that I'd end up in some kind of logical negotiation with him. It's like managing human staff.

You really aren't alone in feeling this way - training a puppy is always hard work & drive a lot of new owners to despair, especially if their expectations were somewhat different to the reality ;) It's a little worrying though that your breeder did not explain to you that Cocker puppies (and working strain pups in particular) are usually very bright and the opposite of "nice but dim" Marley (although in his case, I thought it was the owners who were a bit dim rather than the dog ph34r) I'm sure you will get through this phase though if you are patient and persevere with the positive advice you've been given here & by your clicker trainer.

Jane

Offline cockers rock!

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2009, 11:46:55 AM »
Please don't feel so guilty - there are indeed many less responsible people who purchase young puppies only to leave them at home whilst they work full time  >:(
There is great advice here from very experienced people.  At the risk of repeating
1) If puppy nips warn first second time remove/time out for 10 minutes.  This has to be consistent and must be maintained even when your OH or other people are there - even if they want to focus on the puppy.
2) Even if you are working to a deadline I agree that it would be better if the pup can see you
3) You are the boss - even if it is raining - if the pup needs to pee he goes out!.  Carry or put him on a line but make sure he does what you want him to do.  However do ensure he is dried off or it is warm enough for him to be comfortable if he is soaked.  
4) Perhaps every two hours or so you could take 20-30 mins break and play - just build this in to your deadlines
5) You say that your OH plays with him all evening -maybe this could be over stimulation i.e. all activity just at one part of the day
6) Many people recommend stuffed kongs where the dog has to work to get the reward
Good luck it will get better - teething is pretty unpleasant but once your pup is allowed out then this will be a huge help.

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2009, 11:47:27 AM »
Everything does take a long time those who say it took two weeks have forgotten or are telling fibs - I think ;)

I'm no my fourth cocker pup and even with the experience of the other 3 it is still hard work with many set backs, it's more of an art than a science I believe and is well worth it in the end.

I am going through so much kitchen roll at the moment I should have bought shares in the company :005:
Sarah Dyllan Tyke and Lance

www.brimbeck.co.uk

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2009, 12:10:09 PM »
Dogs are intelligent but please dont credit them with too much.
While they are not just little black boxes they are also not super intelligent creatures who think in human logic. I know it was probably just said as a joke but they just dont compare with humans.

Dogs think in terms of safe/dangerous they have no idea about right and wrong. Your pups probably not thinking, "its raining so I will go to the toilet inside" its more "its raining I am not going out there" the concequence of which is your pup having to go to the toilet inside, there is a difference.

You could be right that getting a treat to him is not a big enough reward for going out in the rain so change to a higher value treat/reward or play little games with him in the rain so he gets used to it. Also as Jayne said think about your own behaviour on rainy days, do you stand outside with him and wait for him to go for as long as you do on sunny days? are you going out as often when its raining? I do really feel for you becuase I housetrained a pup in Feb and its not fun. I stood under a big golf umberella and was just really stubborn about it, I wouldnt go in until the pup had gone to the loo. I also had to do this with an adult dog and that was a million times worse as they can hold on for a lot longer than pups.

This is just my personal opinion but I do believe if you look at it from a very basic level dogs are little input/output machines you want behaviour B so you need to put in A to get it. The hard bit in training is figuring out what A is as dogs do have likes, dislikes, quirks, personalities and it is about knowing your dogs and knowing what buttons to press to get desired behaviours.

As your not scolding your dog for going in the house (which is exactly the right thing to do) in your dogs world it is safe to go to the toilet anywhere, although he will be starting to associate its when outside he gets the reward so the reward has to be high enough to really reinforce the behaviour. It also takes time for the association to fully be understood. He might realise sunny days=wee outside=reward but may not have made the same association with rainy days. Also pups forget things especially in the moment. It will take a while for him to recognise he needs the toilet and think to go outside so he gets a reward. Its also about them having the physical ability to hold on until they are taken out, at 11weeks from mine recognising they needed the loo to doing it was about 1min.

For the biting what really worked for us was time outs where we left the room for a few minutes but also to really reward any behaviour we liked. So if jack was playing nicely, lying at our feet, sat nicely having a cuddle, chewing one of his toys just anything that we approved of we rewarded it to encourage it.

Offline black taz

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2009, 12:58:38 PM »
instead of having him in his pen - how about having him on a longline attached to you so that he has freedom around you.  I would also take advantage of this time by starting to train him where you expect him to lie whilst you are working, and how you expect him to behave (i would suggest a bed in the same room as you so he can see you).