Author Topic: Cuts all over legs from puppy  (Read 3180 times)

Offline PennyB

Re: Cuts all over legs from puppy
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2009, 01:36:41 PM »
Everything does take a long time those who say it took two weeks have forgotten or are telling fibs - I think ;)

I agree - its always best not to put a time limit on anything re dog training. All pups are different as are their owners.

You'll also find with cockers that they like to keep you on your toes - once you solve one issue another may come along before you've had a chance to draw breath - but they are lovable dogs who will reward you much more than they annoy you ;)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2009, 04:40:14 PM »
Do you go outside with him & stay with him until he's "been"?

Yes. He stands at the door looking at me like "English women might go out in the midday rain, but I ain't a mad dog." Not even standing in the middle of the yard holding fish treats will coax him out. He will stand on the doorstep craning his neck out towards the treats, put a paw down, make a disgusted noise, lift the paw distastefully, and run back to pee inside. He's brilliant normally.
I always carried Duggie outside, as I doubt I could have coaxed him to go out in the rain at that age. I remember standing outside at midnight in the pouring rain with him when he was tiny, constantly repeating "Go pee-pee" for about 15 minutes, while he kept trying to get back inside the closed door, I'm sure I kissed him when he finally went! ;) Patience and persistence is the thing, you'll find you are repeating the same things over and over again, but they do eventually get there. :D

I know my posts about Duggie's gnashing have been jokey and it sounds like he is a 24 hours gnashing maniac, but I can reassure you that he really doesn't do it that often now, maybe a couple of times a day, and the rest of the time he will be kissing and cuddling me now, he is turning into a lovely dog, and yours will be the same. :luv:

It's probably not easy, but do try to relax more around him and don't allow yourself to get stressed over what isn't a huge problem, it really pays if you can be laid back about your pup and think ahead to when he won't be doing all these things, and it really does fly in. :D
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2009, 11:32:06 AM »
We dont have a cocker puppy but we do have an 9 week old westie pup!

If you think cockers are stubborn try getting a little terrier to wee/poo outdoors in the rain  :005:

We are having regular accidents inside but more wees and most poos are done in garden. The accidents inside are usually our fault for missing the signs....

She is crate trained and will settle happily for nap and overnight....but she is hard work and mt friends (her owners) are currently wishing away the weeks so she is house trained fully!!

Offline wrenside

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2009, 05:29:05 PM »
Welcome to Col! It's great to see another Working cocker owner from London  :D We're in the Clapham area.

What made you decide to get a working cocker pup?

We have trained our two cockers up for beating/shooting. I honestly don't think that there's a better all round breed for taking on a shoot  :luv:

I'm sorry to hear that your pup is proving a norty little nipper, unfortunately some pups do this more than others, but in the main it is a normal behaviour for them. We did have a whole litter of working cockers two years ago (all gone to working homes). So I do recognise and sympathise with a lot of the concerns that you are having about your pups behaviour.  :-*

The advice that has been given to you already by the people on COL is sound advice. The only thing I'd add is that with however you decide to tackle your pups behaviour always keep in the forefront of your mind that a) he's only a baby b) you're the person who has to teach him how to behave properly in the human world around him (aka you're his mum!  ;) ) so try and keep the relationship between you and him a close and happy one, c) pups only learn good behaviour if it is taught consistently and kindly  :D (however frustrating the pup gets!  :shades: ) (I'm not saying that you don't already do all of these things, I just remember reminding myself of this mantra every time I had to clear up a poo in the wrong place, or bin a destroyed shoe etc..  ::) as it happens all the pups went to their new homes fully toilet trained, and would sit and wait for their dinner. So it does work! LOL)

Have a wonderful time with your pup, they grow up sooo quickly! I'm thrilled that there's another working cocker owner in London!  :lol:

Best wishes,

Mary xxx

Offline Londonwriter

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2009, 07:28:36 PM »
Welcome to Col! It's great to see another Working cocker owner from London  :D We're in the Clapham area.

We're around Richmond and it's swarming with Working Cockers. There were two attending the basic obedience session after our puppy class and there are always several in the park.

How old are yours and what colour? Toq is a boy, black except for a little white tuft near his bottom.

What made you decide to get a working cocker pup?

According to the lady running our puppy class, the same as every other Working Cocker owner in the area! They're a compact sporting dog suitable for keeping in a small house next to a huge park.

We're keen hikers and over the summer we did Ben Nevis followed by the Great Glen Way. On Ben Nevis, we saw two cross breeds, one Border Collie and a Working Cocker. The Working Cocker was the only one who looked to be enjoying it - he/she was doing a cracking pace down the mountain. However, after getting Toq, I think the Cocker was probably in a hurry to get out the rain.

I jog every day in Richmond Park and am hoping to take Toq jogging, on long bike rides, etc. We're also hoping to do some flyball or agility with him - there's apparently an active flyball group on Wimbledon Common.

He's still got a long way to go though. He went for his first walks today. He was only out for ten minutes on the first walk and I had to carry him home! [I know he's only supposed to do 15 - 20 minutes at a time, fear not].

I'm sorry to hear that your pup is proving a norty little nipper, unfortunately some pups do this more than others, but in the main it is a normal behaviour for them. We did have a whole litter of working cockers two years ago (all gone to working homes). So I do recognise and sympathise with a lot of the concerns that you are having about your pups behaviour.  :-*

This is a relief. I've got my mum coming tomorrow and she's scared of dogs. I started panicking because I didn't know how she'd take Toq leaping about with the whites of his eyes showing and his mouth wide open, biting everything in sight. She'd already started panicking down the phone (he bites me when I'm on the phone) that I had some crazy, psychopathic dog. At least I can reassure her that he's just being little and, with appropriate training, he should turn into a fine adult.

Offline wrenside

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2009, 01:06:25 PM »
Oh you lucky things living near Richmond Park! I've heard is doggy heaven with all those deer and bunny rabbit smells  :luv: In fact you might bump into one of our pups as his owner sometimes takes him for a run around there - he's a solid black cocker called Charlie and his owner is a really lovely lady.

Our two are 6 years old and 2 and a half years old. The older is a red girl with a white chest called Bella, and the younger is one of her pups who is a solid black dog called Moss.

I just do gun dog work with my two, but I've heard that cockers really do excel at flyball and agility so it's great that you're considering doing these activities with your boy  :D

Don't worry about having to carry your pup back from the first few walks you do with him. Him becoming exhausted in 10 mins does not necessarily mean that you are over working him physically, mental stimulation from all the new sights, sounds, and smells are equally as likely to wear out a small pup quickly - so just go along with what he's telling you about how knackered he is on walks and take him home when he comes back to your feet to tell you he's had enough  :shades:

A tip for when your mum comes over: take your little man out for a walk before she's due to come over, so that when your mum does turn up the little devil is knackered and so won't get too over excited and nippy at meeting her for the first time. Give your mum a treat or two to give to the pup if he is freindly and calm with her - so that he then starts to associate visitors with nice things if he is calm around them  ;) Then maybe give him a toilet roll tube to destroy or an empty plastic milk carton to shove around the floor while you're busy with your mum  :blink:

Good luck!  :D

Best wishes,

Mary xxx

Offline rwasinski

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2009, 08:32:24 PM »
I agree with the others - I think you should relax, understand that this is normal puppy behaviour and enjoy spending time with your pup, nurturing your relationship and allowing him to build up trust with you. He is a baby, and will take time to learn how to live according to your boundaries and rules.

I find it sad that you say you expected him to be 'horrible' and 'thick'. I am also concerned by your description of a 'long term confinement area'. Owning a puppy should never be like 'managing human staff'.

Your pup deserves love and affection, soothing and comfort as well as consistent boundaries and guidance. He will learn. Maybe it's just me, I never realised how hard it would be to own pups but to watch our little ones blossom into lovely dogs, and enjoy seeing them grow and develop, it makes me so proud and happy. I admit, there are ups and downs but you need patience and more patience and a sense of humour. They bring such happiness, give your pup a chance!

Rebecca, Blod-ness and Llew-bear!

Offline Londonwriter

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2009, 07:14:04 AM »
I find it sad that you say you expected him to be 'horrible' and 'thick'. I am also concerned by your description of a 'long term confinement area'. Owning a puppy should never be like 'managing human staff'.

I know language is all you've got to go on on an internet forum. But do you think I'd be asking for advice on a forum if I didn't love my puppy?

Thanks for all the advice. I'm trying a combination of approaches and it seems to be working slowly - there's still biting, but I can stop it. My dad arrived last night and has been amazing with Toq - gentle but firm - so I'm watching and learning.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2009, 09:53:54 AM »

Great to hear your making progress!!!

:D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline fatbelly

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2009, 07:09:34 PM »
Murphy who is  now 13 months old was our first ever dog, so we didn't know what to expect or how to handle what came along.

Murphy absolutely drove us to distraction with his play biting, his teeth were like needles. At one point about 3 months old a friend said they would not come and visit us until Murphy had got over the play biting. We thought he would never stop and then all of a sudden at the age of 4 month's he stopped and turned his attention to the T/V remote and other objects.

Murphy started chewing for Britain again at the age of 8 month's and this was when his second teeth started to embed. But the 8 month year old phase was no where as bad as the play biting stage.

Your Pup does not have Cocker rage and play biting is most definitely just normal Puppy behaviour which he will stop.

Offline NicoleandPoppy

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2009, 12:12:51 AM »
My mum helped so much with Poppy having bred Red setters for 35 years she was great. She never shouted but just used a firm voice and Poppy listened straight away and did exactly what she said.
It is hard but like horses don't jump and run away you will only excite her more and she will sense your fear. I have a working cocker too they just need patience.

I am doing a degree and I have a comfy bed for her under my desk, I can also tell when she needs the toilet she walks around in circles sniffing a lot. Check your Pup might have a certain tell tale sign. So you could let her out with you or put a stair gate on and let her sit with you and just be observant and look for a tell tale sign and keep taking her out regularly. You could try leading or carrying her outside for the toilet and stay outside until she goes. I have got soaked toilet training Poppy and still do it and normally look like a drowned rat, but we are getting there.

She has the Kitchen and dining room whilst I do school run or food shop and does the crazy laps when I come home. if I do a food shop I am normally gone for an hour and she does the laps like a crazy. I must admit I do put her outside whilst i unpack the shopping in particular the meat, she ate a packet of freshly cut ham from the deli before  :005:

I learnt from Cockers online that raw chicken wings were good for cockers. Try coaxing her out for a raw wing might help.

If you ever need t chat just message me Good luck xxx