Author Topic: puppy allowed on furniture?  (Read 2626 times)

Offline oxfordowners

puppy allowed on furniture?
« on: May 05, 2010, 07:16:42 PM »
Question about whether your cockers are allowed on sofas, benches, etc. I've read on this forum that some people only allow their cockers on the sofa when "invited." But our neighbour was telling us that dogs aren't smart enough to understand that sometimes they are allowed and sometimes they aren't allowed. What is your experience with this? If they're allowed on when invited, do they start to think they're allowed on all the time?

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
Re: puppy allowed on furniture?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 07:23:47 PM »
Both our dogs are allowed on the sofas but will readily get down if we choose not to have them up there  ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 07:24:51 PM »
Bonnie Boo invites herself onto the furniture anytime she likes  :lol:
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet

Offline luckypenny

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 07:30:34 PM »
Liberty hall here - Penny can get on whatever she wants, whenever :005:. Sometimes she's really funny 'cos she comes right up to your face then does a three point turn to reverse into the tiny space where my knees are curled up, but she is told "off" if she tries to climb on visitors who would prefer she didn't :005:

Offline Victoria25

• Donator
  • Perfect Poppy (almost!)
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 07:33:40 PM »
Poppy can distinguish between houses. She goes on our sofas but never even attampts OH parents sofas. If we tell Poppy down then she will, we just dont seem to need to!
Poppy is now one! Watch her first year!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVqf3TnIL6c

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 07:39:52 PM »
Morgan is allowed on the sofa, he usually finds me there  ::) and snuggles up  :luv: He's not allowed on the armchairs and knows it but tries it on a bit, he always gets off when told though!  ;)
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 07:41:07 PM »
I don't have an issue with my dog on the furniture - he usually prefers the floor anyway  ::)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 07:42:27 PM »
Odie is too small to jump up onto the sofa yet but we let him lie next to us when watching TV.  He will do this for 10/15 minutes then jump down and slob out on the floor! :luv:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 08:05:02 PM »
Ruby is NEVER allowed on the sofa uninvited,she will sit in front of us and stare, wagging her tail when we say "c'mon then" she jumps up.

If we aren't in the room she isn't allowed on the furniture,but she has never done that anyway,or i haven't caught her  :005:

Whatever you choose to do,be consistent so that he doesn't get confused  ;)
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 08:22:30 PM »
If we aren't in the room she isn't allowed on the furniture,but she has never done that anyway,or i haven't caught her  :005:

That made me laugh :005: - when I was a child, we had a lovely black cocker called Benji, my mum NEVER ever let him on the furniture - however, the moment she stepped out the room/house, up he'd go :lol:. He could always sense when she was coming back and would jump back down - he was never caught until his later years when he began to slow down :luv:.

Brodie decided from day one that she would be allowed on the sofa and we have never been able to train her not to :P. Thankfully I don't mind her being on the sofa anyway. She does know the off command though :blink:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 08:56:27 PM »
The sign in my hall says "The dog and it's housekeepers live here".

Nuff said!
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline floydlennon

• Site Member
  • floyd lennon
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 09:07:12 PM »
floyds allowed on the sofa in ours as he uses it as a step to get onto the window sill lol he thinks he is a pussy cat he knows the only time he isnt allowed up is when we r eating but he likes to push it lol

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 09:27:36 PM »
Of course they can be taught the difference! Our cockers are always on the sofa with us, but at mealtimes (yes, we tend to have TV dinners) they know they can't come up and go off and do their own thing. If we don't want the dogs up we tell/sign them to get off and they go away until we say they can come back up. We're not very good trainers (only really bother training come, sit, off and no) but they understand when they can be on the sofa with us and when not.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 10:33:57 PM »

I tend to say that Honey waits for an invitation, but really this isn't true.  She will jump up to the sofa when she feels like it, which I don't have a problem with.  She won't however jump up onto our knee or next to us without an invite....  ;)
Which means she knows TV dinners are out of bounds, and the generally jumping all over people is out of bounds...

Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 10:47:57 PM »
Mine are also allowed on the furniture whenever they want but they know they're not allowed up if we have food there, they get off straight away when told to and they stay off if told as well, mostly if we have guests who don't necessarily want 3 overenthusiastic mutts climbing all over them... much as it's hard to imagine why anyone wouldn't love that :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/