Author Topic: puppy allowed on furniture?  (Read 2627 times)

Offline PennyB

Re: puppy allowed on furniture?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 11:09:14 PM »
Mine are all allowed on the furniture + have made sure that they will also get off on command if I want them to without arguing with me as well ;)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 11:17:12 PM »
I don't have an issue with my dog on the furniture - he usually prefers the floor anyway  ::)

Except when showing off his devastating charm on an all white bed  :005: :luv:

The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 11:18:04 PM »
Question about whether your cockers are allowed on sofas, benches, etc. I've read on this forum that some people only allow their cockers on the sofa when "invited." But our neighbour was telling us that dogs aren't smart enough to understand that sometimes they are allowed and sometimes they aren't allowed. What is your experience with this? If they're allowed on when invited, do they start to think they're allowed on all the time?

My two are allowed on the furniture....long as we are on our own (which is most the time) however if we do have visitors, after the initial 'hellos', they are given a chew each which they take to their beds...mainly cos if sis comes to see me she is usually wearing smart gear and does not appreciate being jumped on or tights laddered.(funny woman  :lol2: )

I expect that if they're allowed one time, they expect to be allowed any time - up to us to set the boundaries if we want to I guess  ;)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline tigs71

• Evie's Cake Design
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 11:28:36 PM »
I managed to get Mason to 15 months old before I caved and started letting him up on the sofas.  He doesn't stay long though as he obviously prefers the floor  :D  and he always gets down when told  :luv:
Elaine & Mason X

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 11:45:31 PM »
Gari was always allowed on the sofas here, and I wanted Dougie to be on them too for cuddles, but he didn't like it, instead preferring being on the floor. :huh: :005:

However, when we got Tia, she hadn't been allowed on the sofas in her previous home, so was delighted to be allowed on ours and on our knees and suddenly Dougie wanted to be up too. :005: We're now hard pushed to get them off our knees, and they generally are on one or other of the sofas cuddled up together. :luv:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 11:58:33 PM »
Maggie is allowed on mine whenever she wants except when I'm eating there.... She also knows which houses she can visit and treat the furniture as her own and when she needs to keep off, after being told of course.   They're much more knowing than I think they're given credit for I think  :D
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline floydlennon

• Site Member
  • floyd lennon
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010, 08:45:45 AM »
floyd thinks anyones couch is fair game  :005:

Offline Sheepscheeks

• Have to keep running or me feets will freeze!
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2010, 09:53:21 AM »
Freddie is allowed on the sofa and chair with his blanket on but he doesn't really cuddle up to me much - I sit on the sofa in the evening, he jumps up and comes to say hello but never stays cuddled up to me, he prefers to sit at the other end (which has been his end from day 1) or in his chair or on the floor. Sometimes wish he would cuddle more but I guess he just isn't that sort of dog...
Paula & Freddie x

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2010, 10:34:10 AM »
Niki went anywhere, even used to sleep under my duvet and walk off with it in the night. He loved cuddling. Keli was a squirmer from day one. Took me 5 years of forced cuddling before he would have a few minutes cuddle time, but he would only go on the sofa or bed if you were not on it. I always used to say, "that's it run away in panic". He did panic about stuff. Tali seems more like Niki in that he wants to get into bed with me and on the sofa. I just worry about him in bed as he's still a little dot that could get squashed. However all my dogs learn the "off poppage" command, sorry I play with words and come up with the strangest of things lol. :005:
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline Chocolatecoco

• My chocolate baby
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2010, 10:43:25 AM »
My girls have always been allowed on sofa, I even brought a big corner unit for us to share with them, However they find the seat they all want the most is mums lap, which is quite funny as they all lie together on one seat with their faces on my lap :005:

My coco girly

Offline black taz

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2010, 12:38:17 PM »
mine have always been allowed on the furniture, but again get down easily when asked.  however, now Kira is 6 months and getting to be quite a lanky girl (labrador) she does seem to take up a lot of room :005:

They are not allowed on the furniture at my parents and after a few failed attempts neither bother to try any more.

My MIL has a whippet and that will actually try and turf you off the sofa he is has nowhere to sit - failing that he will sit on you and he is soooooo boney!

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2010, 12:39:10 PM »
Mine are all allowed on the furniture + have made sure that they will also get off on command if I want them to without arguing with me as well ;)
Same here  ;)

Offline Annie's Mum

• Donator
  • Annie Cocker & Maisie Cav
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2010, 12:40:15 PM »
The sign in my hall says "The dog and it's housekeepers live here".

Nuff said!
we have a sign saying 'if you want the best seat in the house move the Dog'

we often find ourselves on the floor  ph34r
Sarah owned by Maisie & Annie

Offline Bounty

• Poppy, Maggie and Hamish all at rainbow bridge
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2010, 12:45:47 PM »
Hamish is allowed on the sofa any time he wants except if we are eating,  then he knows he has to jump off.

he does have a favourite spot on the sofa too now and if DH sits there then Hamish will look at him with a very cross look on his face until DH moves up so Hamish can sit in his favourite spot!  >:D

we have created a monster  :005:

Recently we bought him a downstairs bed which is for him to have outside when we have BBQs and so on and is in the living room as the weather has been too bad for BBQs since we bought it   ::)

He now chooses to sit on that but only if its right next to the sofa where we are.  He hates sitting at the other side of the room to us, he needs to be close all the time  :luv: :luv:
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.

Hamish - My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet.

Offline Abbi

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2010, 04:52:19 PM »
Freddie is allowed on the sofa and chair with his blanket on but he doesn't really cuddle up to me much - I sit on the sofa in the evening, he jumps up and comes to say hello but never stays cuddled up to me, he prefers to sit at the other end (which has been his end from day 1) or in his chair or on the floor. Sometimes wish he would cuddle more but I guess he just isn't that sort of dog...

Sounds just like Abbi! To begin with we said we weren't going to let her on the sofas and she never really bothered. Then we said only when invited and she had to be helped up (even though she could get up if she had tried) but now she can jump up on her own. She has only jumped up when we have invited her and will get down if asked to. When we are out I don't think it crosses her mind to get up as she seems to just lie in her bed in the hall (where she can watch the front door!)