Author Topic: puppy allowed on furniture?  (Read 2625 times)

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
Re: puppy allowed on furniture?
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
Ours arent allowed on the living room furniture or the beds but can go on the conservatory furniture, benches outside etc. Alfie has had a few failed attempts to get on the living room furniture (and a couple of successful ones actually :005:- got down straight away though!). They definitely know where they can and cant go though as we 'enforced' it from day 1 and certainly dont seem bothered by being on the floor most of the time :D xxx
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline fizzyntiffy

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2010, 06:57:35 PM »
My two are allowed on the sofa and get on and off whenever they like - except if we're eating then it's off till we've eaten.  Normally at night when we're watching TV I've got Tiffany squidged up against me and Sasha is lying along the back of the sofa.

Sasha (7 Months) has only been here a week & is a work in progress...she got a time out tonight for a whirlwind manoevre where she almost got her gnashers in DD's slice of pizza, norty, norty  :005:

I guess you need to start how you mean to go on.  I like having a doglet snuggled up to me  :luv:

Offline rwasinski

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2010, 08:42:39 PM »

I like having a doglet snuggled up to me  :luv:

Me too  :luv:

Llewelyn just barges on up there onto the settee, Blodwen still hasn't mastered the art of jumping up onto the bed or settee  :005: , but she is most welcome so we just hoist her up as she waits patiently for her lift!!  :005:

What's ours is theirs!

Rebecca, Blod-ness and Llew-bear!

Offline bobbylfc

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2010, 08:49:45 PM »
We had no choice with Bobby as soon as we brought him home he decided the couch was his  :005: he even decided to go into the neighbours house uninvited as did his best superman impression jumping from couch to couch  :o  :embarassed:
Natalie, Bobby & Tess

Offline Trixie780

• Tucker - April 2009
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2010, 08:55:16 PM »
Cockers are incredibly clever, aren't they?  Tucker is allowed on the recliner in the living room (it's easy to clean), but none of the other furniture.  He's just a year old but knows very well what he can and can't do when it comes to the furniture.  He will wait to be invited up on the recliner if one of us is already on it, but if it's empty it's fair game.  We'll come home to find him all curled up on it in the sun.   :005:
Draper....July 1997 - May 2009.....Missed always

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2010, 09:09:15 PM »
I'm a meanie with my lot!  ph34r I only let Penny, the nearly 14yr Old up on the furniture as it keeps her up out of the way of the youngsters. Mika, Rio and Sophie are allowed up occaisonally on invitation. :blink: Roxy I'm afraid is never allowed up as it seems to trigger something with her not always so nice side and can be quite nasty if she's given the privalidge. :-\ We have to lift the cushions up of a night time or naughty Sophie climbs up and sleeps on it!  :005:

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2010, 09:28:04 PM »
I disagree that dogs aren't intelligent enough to understand the 'if invited rule' I've had 3 dogs that I've had that rule with and they've all understood it - even the one we call 'Peanut brain' at times :005: :005: :005:

I don't like them having free run of the furniture as basically, I don't want fox poo or mud all over the sofa's - have enough clearing up to do as it is  >:( They come and ask to join us when we're there, and if they're clean, they're more than welcome :D Otherwise they accept when we say no and on the whole, they don't go on the furniture if we're not there (unless one of them is having a very hormonal day of course :005:)

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2010, 09:38:08 PM »
I disagree that dogs aren't intelligent enough to understand the 'if invited rule' I've had 3 dogs that I've had that rule with and they've all understood it - even the one we call 'Peanut brain' at times :005: :005: :005:

I don't like them having free run of the furniture as basically, I don't want fox poo or mud all over the sofa's - have enough clearing up to do as it is  >:( They come and ask to join us when we're there, and if they're clean, they're more than welcome :D Otherwise they accept when we say no and on the whole, they don't go on the furniture if we're not there (unless one of them is having a very hormonal day of course :005:)

This is just like Millie, she is an  :angel: apart from when I'm in the shower or bath and she knows she can get away with a crafty sleep on the sofa/bed. And who said they aren't intelligent  ;).

Millie

Offline Emmylou

• Site Member
  • Cosby and Boo!
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2010, 01:35:17 AM »
Cosby sometimes lets me on the sofa :005:  Seriously, he lives on the sofa, lies on it during the day, sleeps on it during the night (he doesn't have a bed).

It's not a problem though, he just lies there, even if you are eating he'll just quietly sit at the other side of the sofa.  If we have guests he knows he's not allowed on but he sometimes takes the huff!!  There was once that he was so put out that Dave's mam was sitting in his seat that he just calmly jumped up and plonked his backside on her lap - her face was a picture :lol2:

I'm not sure what he would do if I asked him to get down or told him he wasn't allowed, as theres never really been any call for us to do so - as I said he's not a pest he just sits there.

Boo on the other hand prefers the floor or his bed, but if you're sitting on the sofa he will jump up and smooch attack you - he's a bit of a pest, but he will get down if you tell him to (before jumping back up to smooch you)

Offline Roslyn McConnell

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2010, 11:10:38 AM »
Just be carefull with ur doggies on the couch. Dill was allowed up once when he was two and when he jumped off he somehow knock the newspaper onto the floor and then landed with one back paw on it and one paw off, it slid and he did the splits and dislocated his leg, cue one very expensive vet trip, one very in pain cocker and then osteoarthrisits in that joint when he got old.

He was lucky tho, if it had been his front legs he couldve damaged his heart and died instantly  :o

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2010, 11:42:20 AM »
Mine are allowed on the sofas, but they always seem to want be on top of me on the sofa.  Misha especially - if she isn't allowed on the sofa she won't even stay in the same room as us, same with Lexi  (Thats huffy girls for you!!!).  Roly doesn't care, floor, sofa, footstool, blanket box.  Usually by the end of the night when I'm stretched out on the sofa I'll have all three snuggled up to me somewhere on my person  :D    If I'm eating they tend to just leave me alone or be removed from the room.

Do have a problem when guests come as they do tend to want to jump all over them, which is why if there are any hot drinks involved they stay behind the child gate.

Ideally I'd like them to stay off the sofa, but I just love having the cuddles :luv: :luv: :luv: so it will never happen.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Sue E

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2010, 02:02:05 PM »
Ozzy is allowed on the sofa in the conservatory as its leather and easy to clean!  Thats where we spend most of our time anyway.  He get to it when we're not in so no crafty jumping on then  :005:  Essentially he does wait to be invited to jump on with us, but once he's had an invite for that day he thinks that permission for the whole day and jumps on and off at will   :005:   

In our lounge we don't have a leather sofa and he's not allowed on there and to be honest he's pretty much got that idea.  It has a large bay window though so he either wants to sit on that or lie in the sunshine that comes streaming through.   Its amazine how you can fit a whole cocker into a tiny patch of sunshine on the carpet  :005:

Offline Amanda68

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2010, 10:16:16 PM »
Diesel's only 11 weeks so can't actually get on the sofa by himself yet, but when we're on it he jumps up to join us. I don't mind at all, I enjoy the cuddles  :luv: I'm sure he'll be able to manage getting up himself very soon!!  :005:

Mine's also leather and easy to clean.