Author Topic: At what age did you give your pup 'full reign' of the house  (Read 4966 times)

Offline siam

• Site Member
Re: At what age did you give your pup 'full reign' of the house
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2010, 07:34:37 PM »
Alfie has never been crated and has had the run of the kitchen and breakfast room since we got him at 7 weeks. He went through the phase when he was very young of wanting to chew through every available cable so I had to make sure all cables were out of the way. He was never on his own for more than 3 hours during the day, and (touch wood) so far, now Alfie is 13months, there have been no disasters to any units. furniture or floor.

Offline grracee

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2010, 07:39:48 PM »
I've never crated Charlie since we had him home at 8 weeks. When there is no-one in the house he is left in the kitchen/back room with my lab. He hasn't destroyed any furniture but he's a little  >:D for mats!!! He was terrible at one point and would chew them all the time even if I only left him for about 15 mins. But he seems abit better now and I can leave him longer and he won't do anything  :angel: :lol:

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2010, 08:47:44 PM »
Well Poppy still has her crate at night because despite many attempts to leave the door open etc  she jumps straight in and whinges if I dont shut the door  :005: However on the very rare occasion that the girls are left alone then they have the complete run of the house and have done since Pops was about 6 months I think  :luv:

To be fair Poppy has been a complete  :angel: and was really easy a pupster who caused minimal damage etc...she is a big girl of 17 months now  :005:

Offline burnysbird

• Born 07/05/2010
    • Zoom Click Photography
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2010, 09:09:37 PM »
We didn't every shut Sizzles in her crate at night or when we went out until a few weeks ago. She has chewed the walls and woodwork in our kitchen and we felt she had to, before she ruined the house! It has worked a charm and she doesn't howl at all when we go to bed now  :D

Think she'll be staying in there for a fair few months to come as she is a mischief!

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2010, 12:15:54 AM »
Despite his vocalisation at strange noises, Tali had had free run of the flat since he came home at 9 weeks. As I have said many times before he has only chewed one mobile phone cable and a couple of magazines. I have, due to caring for mum, a pretty puppy unfriendly home. I have a babygate up at the lounge door, which he get's shut behind when the care workers initially come in and he used to be behind when I was out but not any more. Another gate on mum's room which is permanently shut as you name it, mother throws it on the floor, half chewed food, her pad, etc. I also have one on my room. I use that, though less frequently nowadays, for a little quiet time or when I'm getting dressed, etc. Sometimes I shut us both behind it, sometimes not, just so he's used to it if I need to shut him there. He's not allowed free access to my room when I'm out, he would probably be fine but it could be tempting, however he goes everywhere but my room and mum's room when I'm out.

He is a complete star when I'm out. Depending how long I am we can get accidents, but he is basically quite clean now. He chews things to get my attention when I'm in but he has touched nothing, ever, when left alone.

He will eat in the crate but tbh, it's taking up tons of space and he just isn't that interested.

Lesley, don't fret. Do some leaving him on his own for tons of short periods with free reign to get him used to it. Just make sure all valuables are out of reach and just be wise and if there are any wires, just unplug them or remove them. A wire can always be replaced, an electrocuted puppy can't.
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2010, 01:13:09 PM »
It's not the cables etc I'm worried about Mel, he hasn't shown any sign of nibbling those.  It's our new kitchen recently installed and the doors/frames within the entire house - these are custom made (none are a standard sized doorframe with it being a very old house ::)) and we can't replace easily (or cheaply).  We are putting it on the market next year so need everything in tip top condition!  I'm going to wait until I move before trusting him, I think :005:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2010, 03:58:32 PM »
Oh that's fair enough Lesley. A bit why I shut my bedroom gate because I have some one offs and things I can't afford to replace in my room, so it's better to be safe than sorry  ;)
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline Emmylou

• Site Member
  • Cosby and Boo!
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2010, 05:28:39 PM »
I must say our 2 are little angels in the house.  Cosby has never been crated and has always had full reign of the house - with the exception of the bedroom as I have tablets etc on my bedside table and i also don't want them sleeping in my bed!!  We had one incident with a couple of nibbled CDs but that's it.  Boo was crated but only while he was a small pup.  He still has his crate which he likes to sit in, but it's never closed. 

We can leave them in the house with free reign and they never touch a thing. We always joke that we could leave a stack of £10 notes beside Cosby and they'd still be there when we get in :005:  You can tell he just sleeps on the sofa as when we get in his face is all squished on one side and theres a little damp patch on the sofa where he's been dribbling!!