Author Topic: Willow eating far to quick  (Read 1804 times)

Offline maddy74

Willow eating far to quick
« on: February 23, 2011, 11:20:54 PM »
Hiya all,

Willow eats so quick and it worries me she will get a tummy ache, she almost inhales her food and I dont think she chews it much it at all. Mid way through her meal I take it from her to give her a breather and let it go down a bit. Half way through I hear her tum make these weird noises like the human version of hickups but I think it it the food trying to squeeze through her insides? I thought this was just a phase she was going through from when she was competing with her litter mates, I thought this would have calmed down now she has been with us 12 days, but if anything its worse.

I have seen somewhere but I cant think where, discs to put on top of the food that slows dogs down, has any one used these or have any ideas or is it healthy to let her continue to eat at this speed? (I am sure it must hurt) Thanks in advance,

Maddy x

Offline mooching

Re: Willow eating far to quick
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 11:26:44 PM »
Alfie used to literally hoover up his food when he was a little pup, and it didn't seem to do him any harm - he never vomited or had the runs as a result. Has Willow been sick at all, and how are her stools now?

If you're really concerned, you can buy a bowl like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brake-fast-Dog-Bowl-Medium/dp/B000PE30MQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=pet-supplies&qid=1298503533&sr=8-1

Or buy a treat ball and put her meal in that, so that she has to work it to get to her food.

Does she do this with all her meals or any meals in particular?

Offline maddy74

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 11:33:45 PM »
No she does it with all of her meals.  She doesnt get sick or anything, the worst thing is this nose she makes and I would hate her to have tum ache or indigestion. :-\ her stools are firm now and less frequent  :D she has had yest and today about 25% of the Wainwrights and then the rest of her meal in brown rice and chicken, you wanna see her little nose sniff the air when the chicken is cooking. She loves it. Will slowly increase over the next few days. We will get her weighed again on tues with her last vaccs.

Ta for advise. x

Offline maddy74

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 11:37:07 PM »
£13.50 for that bowl,  :o  My best plates we eat off didnt cost that... I will risk her getting the tummy ache....  :005: only joking.... :011:

Offline mooching

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 11:37:37 PM »
I think you might be worrying too much.  ;) Alf's tum used to make those sort of noises too. By all means try one of those special bowls or get a ball if you're really worried, or perhaps ask your vet oin Tuesday, but if it was my pup, and all was well at both ends, I wouldn't be worrying too much (and would just be glad I had a pup with a great appetite!)

Offline mooching

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 11:40:39 PM »
You could get her a treat ball for when she's on 100% kibble, and it would come in handy for in between meal times too:

(Alf has this one)

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/training-treat-ball-for-dogs-by-wlpet-13549

Or you could put her kibble into her Kong, so that she has to knock it around to get it out.

Offline maddy74

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 11:43:49 PM »
That looks good. I am happy she has a good appetite, as long as I am sure she wont have a blockage i will stop worrying.  :P

Offline mooching

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 11:57:10 PM »
When she is on 100% kibble, moistening it a bit with a teaspoon of hot/warm water may slow her down a tad. (not much though!  :005: )

Offline Victoria25

• Donator
  • Perfect Poppy (almost!)
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 11:59:52 PM »
I recently got Poppy this bowl
http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/slow-feed-dog-bowl-large_1_160971.html

It's a good price. It is quite large though but it now takes Pops a good 10 mins to eat her dinner rather than 30 seconds like before. We also use a treat ball.
Poppy is now one! Watch her first year!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVqf3TnIL6c

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 12:01:03 AM »
When she is on 100% kibble, moistening it a bit with a teaspoon of hot/warm water may slow her down a tad. (not much though!  :005: )

I was just about to suggest that :blink:. Alfie goes through phases of inhaling his food so we just add a small amount of cold water to it and it really slows him down. Although it stops him from chewing it- he just swallows it hole! Strange dog :shades:. When he was Willows age his food was soaked with warm water which took him longer to eat.
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline mooching

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 12:04:19 AM »
I recently got Poppy this bowl
http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/slow-feed-dog-bowl-large_1_160971.html

It's a good price. It is quite large though but it now takes Pops a good 10 mins to eat her dinner rather than 30 seconds like before.

ChemistDirect are good; I've had some stuff from there before (but was able to get free postage as it was a big order) - trouble is that the postage for just one item almost doubles the price of the bowl.

Offline Victoria25

• Donator
  • Perfect Poppy (almost!)
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 12:09:07 AM »
Good excuse to make it worth the postage then!

I bought a crate from there and some other treats for Pops too so got free postage.
Poppy is now one! Watch her first year!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVqf3TnIL6c

Offline maddy74

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 12:10:58 AM »
Thanks for all your advice, I will def get a bowl in one of those designs as they are almost the same. In relation to her food before I put her on the chicken and rice I was moistening her food anyway.... She still ate quick, she is a gannit like her owners...lol, think she has been watching us.  :005:

Offline mooching

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 08:23:51 AM »

I take it from her to give her a breather and let it go down a bit.

I really wont suggest you take her bowl away mid meal it will just make her worse as she'll be attempting to gulp it down before you take it off her. If you want her to have a break mid way through Id suggest only putting half down. Once shes finished her first half you can add to her bowl. That way you being around is a good thing rather than a reason to eat faster.  :D