Author Topic: 5 days to go until our pup comes home :) What am I forgetting??  (Read 2545 times)

Offline choccietoby

So only 5 days left until we collect our little chocolate roan Toby  :luv:

Im sure I must have forgotten stuff we need, so thought Id check if anyone here had any other practical things we need :)

We have

A crate and blanket to cover it at night.
Dog bed and fleecy dog blankets
Old towels
Car harness
Heavy ceramic dog bowls x 2
Lots of chewy toys including a kong
Cuddly toys and rope toys and squeaky toys
Food hes already on - Beta puppy (although having read lots on here I will slowly change that in time)
DAP diffuser
Lots of newspaper
Kitchen towels
Rubber gloves
Poop bags
Disinfectant and bio washing powder for clean ups
Puppy shampoo
Worming stuff (Drontal)
Flea treatment
Baby gate installed at stairs
Training treats
Collar and lead
And booked in for his 1st injection day after pick up (poor thing)

The list seems long but what else do I need apart from a bundle of patience and I already have ear plugs lol, we are getting rather too excited I think  ;)

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
Re: 5 days to go until our pup comes home :) What am I forgetting??
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 10:01:06 AM »
Get some sleep while you can ;)
xxx

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »
Get some sleep while you can ;)
xxx

and take a good look round your house....cause it'll never be the same again!! :005: :005:..

sounds like youre very organised, good luck x x

Offline choccietoby

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 10:11:47 AM »
Funny you say take a good look around the house, we did that and have moved lots of furniture around so as to cover up wires and stuff that might be tempting to chew and also added a couple of cheap rugs in the hopes of protecting the carpet a bit, but I KNOW if he has accidents he will miss the rugs and get the pieces of carpet still on show  ph34r I even cut the grass in the garden at the weekend, otherwise we might have lost him in it! Went round looking for rogue stones, sharp objects and generally tidied up, bet he finds things I missed though  :005:

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 10:17:40 AM »
Sounds like you have everything covered.

If your house allows it, you could create a puppy only area.  When mine were pups I had a section of the kitchen/conservatory that I could section off and which had direct access to outside.  The barrier was just the side of a rabbit run and which meant the pup could see me in the kitchen and everything going on in the household.  It also meant that any accidental puddles were in one area only and near to a door, plus nothing that the pup could do any real damage to.  Since it was part of the conservatory there was comfortable seating for humans to sit and play with pup, watch outside etc.  I had the puppy crate in there as well.  It was a 3m x 3m area which I covered with paper as well and which I gradually removed until there was only a little bit by the door.

Have fun with the new pup.

Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 10:21:07 AM »
Such exciting times! Make sure the bottom shelf of the bookcase is cleared, Morgan was a bookworm as a pup  >:D  :005:

Have you got an  ID tag for him? and a gentle brush of some sort, get him used to some grooming from the start, and a spare battery for the camera just on the off-chance you might want to take a photo or two!  :luv:
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline choccietoby

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 10:25:32 AM »
Dont really have an area we can section off but being home all day Im hoping not to need one :)

Oh yes, forgot that, got a brush and comb set too, want to get him used to being brushed from day one  :shades:

Havent got the ID tag yet, knew Id forgotten something, was going to go to Pets@home and get one to attach to his collar.  

Camera battery is charged and ready to go  :D

Do you suggest we leave the collar on (except at night time) to get him used to it and make it easier to attach the lead to for 'wee wee' time or should we leave it off so as not to annoy his neck?

Offline rachy85

• Rocco :)
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 10:37:05 AM »
Aww sounds like you're all set :) exciting isn't it!! I've had Rocco for 3 weeks now and still feels like yesterday that I got him :)

Rocco has always worn a collar, so I kept him wearing it as he was used to it. It's quite loose and he doesn't seem to mind it at all as he's always worn something collar like :)

We just let him outside with no lead...and now he's allowed out I'm struggling to get his lead on without a stand off!! Enjoy him x

Offline choccietoby

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 11:23:46 AM »
I shall attempt at keeping the collar on then, if he will accept it.

Forgot to add to the list, two new umbrellas, large one for me and one for my little boy for rainy walks and a large heavy duty torch for night time excursions into the garden  ;)

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 11:38:48 AM »
Wow you're so organised!
Is that Toby in your avatar?
xxx

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 11:52:19 AM »
I know you have got bowls, but maybe you could buy one that hooks or clips on the the create, it helps to stop little pup tipping it over. Looking forward to seeing some photos. :blink:
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 11:52:48 AM »
I had a little cat collar initially for Misha with a bell, so that I could tell where she was as she had a habit of following me close behind and it avoided me stepping on her accidently  :D
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline choccietoby

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 12:16:33 PM »
Yes that is a picture the breeder took when he was 5 weeks old, so sweet  :luv:  I spoke to her yesterday and she said he has really grown and into everything now  :D

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 12:23:07 PM »
A pair of wellies color and pattern to be chosen to keep feet dry when said darling needs out to toilet in pouring rain and also quite good to stop puppy chewing on ones toes.  But then it is 12 years since Charlie was a pup so I might be a bit out of practice or out of date now.   :005:
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition

Offline Juno

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 01:35:48 PM »
How about a clicker?

Also, very useful thread! My list is much shorter than yours but I have quite a bit longer to wait than you. Enjoy your pup, I'll be looking forward to reading your updates after he arrives!