Author Topic: 5 days to go until our pup comes home :) What am I forgetting??  (Read 2547 times)

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
Re: 5 days to go until our pup comes home :) What am I forgetting??
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 02:00:23 PM »

Hi you must be very excited about your new pup.  Just a safety note don't know what anyone else thinks, but if pup is in crate I think I would remove his collar.  Good luck.

Offline choccietoby

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 02:05:54 PM »
I did consider a clicker and might get one in the future, Im hoping praise (praying) and treats will be enough for training.

Yes, I would remove the collar when crating to be on the safe side too  :D

If you think Im excited, you want to hear my little boy (who's 6) who has been counting the days down since we first saw him nearly 3 weeks ago, he's driving me barmy  :lol2:

Offline Sara750S

• Toby
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 09:49:11 PM »
We have had our Toby for 2 weeks now and lol the best thing we found was an empty builders bag in garden and 2 empty flower pots! Hours of fun!

Offline Sheepscheeks

• Have to keep running or me feets will freeze!
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 10:52:38 PM »
Check garden for plants that might be harmful? Freddie loved and still loves a gnaw at things in my garden so we have fenced off most of the plants - I am not sure what some of the plants are and, as he goes out on his own now (18 months old), I don't want to risk him eating something poisonous. Here is a link to a website I found useful:

http://www.ttlntl.co.uk/2/Health/poisonplants.htm

;)
Paula & Freddie x

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 11:17:22 PM »
Forgive me if you have this, but a long line for guiding puppy away from danger in the house.

Something like Savlon spray for all the cuts you will get and plasters for your little boy.

Tons of cheap lounging clothes which you won't mind getting ripped. Tali was a terror for jumping up and catching his teeth in my clothes, resulting in huge holes.

Go to Amazon and get 'Before and After Getting Your Puppy' by Dr Ian Dunbar.

A strong constitution for when puppy is crying for attention at 3am and you are fighting not to give in ;)
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline Sara750S

• Toby
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2011, 08:29:43 AM »

Deffo!

Offline Dimples

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2011, 09:34:36 AM »
Forgive me if you have this, but a long line for guiding puppy away from danger in the house.

Something like Savlon spray for all the cuts you will get and plasters for your little boy.

Tons of cheap lounging clothes which you won't mind getting ripped. Tali was a terror for jumping up and catching his teeth in my clothes, resulting in huge holes.

A strong constitution for when puppy is crying for attention at 3am and you are fighting not to give in ;)

Agree with all of the above!!! Especially about clothing - I have work clothes ripped at the ends and hubby has suit trousers clawed!!!!
Denise - lucky mum of gorgeous (and cheeky) Robbie xx

Now 9 years old

Offline choccietoby

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 10:08:29 AM »
I only live in slouchy clothes anyway, nothing much he can do harm to  ;) or isnt cheap to replace  :005:

1st aid kit is always topped up and overflowing with bandages, plasters, creams, medications, so hopefully thats covered.

Will check out the book, thanks  :D

Thankfully out garden is only really grass, no plants that could cause any harm and we've done our best to puppy proof it too  :shades:

Did I mention, I already have ear plugs for the night time wailings! Actually Im planning on spending the first few nights on my mattress in the lounge with him, just so he doesnt get too upset, but only a few, after that, he is on his own - how long before I give up on that and he finds his way into my bedroom I couldnt possibly say  ;)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2011, 11:21:55 AM »
A pair of wellies color and pattern to be chosen to keep feet dry when said darling needs out to toilet in pouring rain and also quite good to stop puppy chewing on ones toes.  But then it is 12 years since Charlie was a pup so I might be a bit out of practice or out of date now.   :005:

What  :huh: stop puppy chewing huh look at what Braan my liver cocker did to my wellies    :005:

Sounds like you are ready for the new addition - I have a 10 week old pup here on her hols and my goodness I thought I had puppy proofed the area she would have access to but typical pup has found things she shouldn't - so be prepared

Good luck I am sure all will go well

Offline Dimples

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2011, 11:23:08 AM »

Did I mention, I already have ear plugs for the night time wailings! Actually Im planning on spending the first few nights on my mattress in the lounge with him, just so he doesnt get too upset, but only a few, after that, he is on his own - how long before I give up on that and he finds his way into my bedroom I couldnt possibly say  ;)

I am really laughing at this.....only a few you say....he'll want you every night  :lol:
Denise - lucky mum of gorgeous (and cheeky) Robbie xx

Now 9 years old

Offline choccietoby

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2011, 12:15:21 PM »
Yep I know, this time next week I will be pulling my hair our and begging for help  >:D

Offline Mel

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2011, 12:34:44 PM »
Yes, you will ;)

Free Cake!

Offline black taz

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2011, 01:00:20 PM »
forget the Umbrella's - have you ever tried to walk a puppy bouncing around and hold an umbrella? :005:

don't forget claw cutters - although he won't need them for a while, cutting Taz's claws is the one thing i really struggle with - so get him used to them whilst he is young as well.

Good luck and enjoy his puppihood - it goes so quickly

It may be worth checking with your vet that they will inject the day after you get him, some like them to have settled in for a few days first

Offline Alligin Liath Dubh Chon

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2011, 01:48:35 PM »
make sure your disinfectant is not ammonia based, otherwise you will have arepaet offender at the clean up spot.

I take Jasper's collar off at night- he sleeps in his crate ( open now)

Worth re checking the house  area he will be in and the Garden again ( at pup height)

You'll be surprised what you might have missed.

In the garden look out for nails,snails and screws.  Slugs can be a problem as well.

I have slug pellets down ,in season.

I still had to do a trawl of the garden last summer to pick  slugs  up.

Favourite toy is an empty 500ml soft drink bottle with the lid and label off it. Wish i had known before we spent a fortune on toys !

Enjoy your new arrival and please post a piccy !

alan

Offline Mel

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2011, 04:36:05 PM »
Crawl the entire house on your hands and knees, thoroughly. If you can see and reach it, puppy will chew/swallow/destroy/choke on it.

Free Cake!