Author Topic: 5 days to go until our pup comes home :) What am I forgetting??  (Read 2546 times)

Offline Pop-Star

• Donator
Re: 5 days to go until our pup comes home :) What am I forgetting??
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2011, 06:01:01 PM »

I have slug pellets down ,in season.

Do you mean you have slug pellets down?? I thought they are very poisonous for dogs?
Janet & Poppy

Offline choccietoby

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2011, 10:34:32 PM »
I shall do another scout around before he comes home Monday, thanks :)

It will be the juggling puppy, umbrella and torch in the dark in the rain that will be a real neck breaker :lol:

Vet was happy to do injection 1st day home, but I said, poor thing, no lets give him a day home before we really upset him  ph34r

Good idea on the claw clippers, will have a look around see if I can find some  :D

Offline smartietopdog

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2011, 07:44:14 AM »
A pair of wellies color and pattern to be chosen to keep feet dry when said darling needs out to toilet in pouring rain and also quite good to stop puppy chewing on ones toes.  But then it is 12 years since Charlie was a pup so I might be a bit out of practice or out of date now.   :005:

Oh yes, wellies!! And a decent warm/waterproof coat!

Enjoy, there's nothing like a new addition! My Mum has had Bailey for just over 2 weeks now, and he's such a timewaster! I'll say "Right, I've got to go now" and still be playing 20 minutes later! I avoided helping her in with her shopping the other day, purely because I knew I'd end up playing for ages! :luv:

Offline Sara750S

• Toby
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2011, 07:50:39 AM »
We have been sooo lucky with the weather for toilet training! :shades:

Offline Dimples

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2011, 09:45:41 AM »

I was thinking this myself.  Can you imagine starting off in the wet and cold.  I couldnt bear it  ph34r.  I think we have been very lucky.  Lets hope they dont need to go out in the night come November  :005:
Denise - lucky mum of gorgeous (and cheeky) Robbie xx

Now 9 years old

Offline Alligin Liath Dubh Chon

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2011, 01:16:13 PM »
Pop- Star.

Should have expanded on the slug pellets.

Your right they can be poisonous to dogs.

I have them around various growing plants and  flower beds  to try and stop them getting onto the grassy area where the bold boy roams.

All the beds are fenced off and he can't get access to them.

alan

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »
Tali took months to train though I suspect it was partly his eye meds, but when I broke the back of his toilet training it was two weeks of heavy, cold rain. Every 30 minutes  ph34r
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2011, 04:04:24 AM »

I was thinking this myself.  Can you imagine starting off in the wet and cold.  I couldnt bear it  ph34r.  I think we have been very lucky.  Lets hope they dont need to go out in the night come November  :005:

Been there in the howling rain and gales - unfortunately I had to take that lil one out on the lead so couldn't even just stay by the door and watch - tis amazing how much fencing we have had done in the last 5 years  :005: Garden at back is not 100% puppy proof

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2011, 08:25:13 AM »
How about a puppy toothbrush and paste to add to your groomer collection.  I tried to get Fern used to it early, but failed miserably  ph34r

So excited for you  :luv:
Caroline & Sam RIP Fern x RIP Charlie Cat x

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2011, 08:45:00 AM »
Re: going out in the garden - If you're able I would section off a part of the garden near to the back door, only 2-3metres square fully enclosed (I actually had the sun parasol up all winter when Misha was a pup so that there was a dry place for the both of us  :lol2: ).  The only thing that she could do really was go to the loo and it did really focus her on the job of housetraining - ie. when we're in this area we go for a pee, get lots of praise and get a treat.  The last thing you want is small pup to go racing around exploring the garden at 3am in the pouring rain.   Plus it also saves your plants when you're not watching the pup.

Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline choccietoby

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2011, 09:10:40 AM »
Well our last weekend puppy free is here, 2 days til the fun begins, we are so excited  :D

Puppy toothbrush/paste, check  ;)

We have sectioned off a part of the garden for the business area, its by the side of the house by the back door, I did a post wondering how ambitious I was being about only wanting that part for the wee's an poo's, so we will see how that goes.  Hoping this lovely weather will hold, but you watch from Monday onwards, the heavens will open, the temperature will drop and I will be freezing my toushy off every 5 minutes day and night  >:(

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2011, 12:02:58 PM »
Good luck!
When we got Dexter, the snow was so deep he couldn't even go outside for the first week!! I was too worried that he wouldn't get warm again, so he was paper trained to use the downstairs loo (it has a tiled floor and is easy to clean)
Then I worried that we would never manage to persuade him to go outside, but once the snow cleared, he just made the change almost instantly and has never used the downstairs loo since!!
I am sure it will be fine - don't envy you the late night ones though where you will need a torch to keep an eye on your baby!! (Is a torch on your list? And batteries? - or better still get a wind up one!!!!)
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(