Author Topic: Wispa is now 6mths and 9 days old and is soooo lazy.. is there anything wrong ?  (Read 1422 times)

Offline Happygal

• Wispa now 2 years old
Am a bit concerned about Wispa as she is not what I consider a normal "cocker" in that she is soooooo lazy, slow, and doesn't like walking much at all. I read other posts about mad cockers going racing around the garden etc and am worrying that she has  a problem somewhere. We've been ultra careful about not over walking her to help protect her joints etc but she has been on a couple of hour walks, (we got lost one day and part carried her part let her walk)
she plays with my mums dog and my poodle ok and eats for England but if we didnt' have the other dogs she wouldn't be bothered about going out at all.
She is a show type though, so is this what they are like compared to working cockers? Was thinking about going to the vets as am beginning to wonder if she does have a problem somewhere.
sorry to waffle on and not really made myself too clear i guess. Does anyone else have a lazy cocker?

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
Yes, I have a lazy cocker here. She is show type and is now three years old, but I have had problems walking her from day one. When she decides she doesn't want to go somewhere then nothing can make her change her mind. Brodie's idea of a good walk is a 5 or 10 minute walk around the block and a good sniff around the park. I have had her checked over at the vets a few times and they've never found anything wrong, I think it's just the way she is :huh:.

One thing that (usually) works is walking her with her best friend, a golden retriever. I can (usually :005:) have her out for around an hour with him, including a good run and play around the park - as long as it's not raining of course :005:.

For your own peace of mind I would suggest getting her checked over at the vets - most cockers, including show types, generally love lots of exercise, but I guess like humans there are the odd couch potato out there :lol2:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Victoria25

• Donator
  • Perfect Poppy (almost!)
Poppy is very lazy and has very specific requirements as to her ideal walk. Not too hot, not raining (or wet on her paws) not too early in the morning!

For her it's the motivation. If we go out in the car then she will get out and have a lovely walk, she chases dummy's and runs for about an hour. If we go straight from the house then she normally makes it clear that she was quite happy on her bean bag! She is more than happy to trot along with us if no dummies or balls are present but doesn't run around madly sniffing. In the house she does not move.  At all.  :D
Poppy is now one! Watch her first year!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVqf3TnIL6c

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
My Willow is nearly 2 and she's a lazy bones too, just wish they were all like it....lol.

Offline Annie's Mum

• Donator
  • Annie Cocker & Maisie Cav
Annie will only go out after midday as she likes to sleep all morning  after brekkie and wee....she will then walk for miles but insists on then going to bed about 9 at the very latest...so she is part active and part lazy  :005: she's a one walk cocker  :005:
Sarah owned by Maisie & Annie

Offline Dimples

ha ha - sorry i am finding this so funny to read. Arent they funny!!

Robbie (4.5 months) is a show but very active.  However yesterday morning I got up earlier than usual and was keen to get him out for a walk before breakfast. He looked so put out at the thought and just curled up in his bed and wouldnt move.  :005: I kept saying come on etc but forget he said I am too cosy  :005:

On a more serious note - it may be worth getting him checked by the vet.  We have a service at ours called a puppy free health check up to the age of 1. It costs nothing to go in for a weigh in and a chat about any concerns with a nurse. Brilliant a you can ask lots of questions but it costs nothing,.  :D
Denise - lucky mum of gorgeous (and cheeky) Robbie xx

Now 9 years old

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Our vet does a free 6 month and 12 month check up, so might be worth popping in just to give her a check over.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
Definitely agree that it's worth getting her checked over by a vet..

I have to say though, when Dave was a pup I was shocked at how chilled out he was compared with my last cocker (both show types). He would rag with other pups and attacked us at home constantly :lol: but he wasn't keen on walking or doing much outside initially (although that can be a bit of fear with young pups also) and seemed too 'quiet' to me compared with my other cocker who'd been a tornado from day one :luv: :luv:.

Dave was so 'dull' on walks that I ended up getting another dog (Normy a 2yr old Weimaraner rehome) when he was about 5 months old because he wasn't enough of an adrenalin rush for me ph34r. I have to say that he started to come alive when we got Normy, he started exploring and learning how to hunt and use his nose etc etc He's now 4 and will run like the clappers all walk with his big grey chum and is much more kind of dog :lol: but I honestly think without his energetic friend to do 'stuff' with, he wouldn't have blossomed :luv: Dave's been a bit of a slow starter but he is lots of fun now when required and expert at the mischievous norty cocker stuff at home too :lol2: :luv: :luv:

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline dawn

I am sooooooooooo jealous! I'm sat at my laptop, shattered after keeping up with the rascal cocker we call Henry!

He is on the go all the time, and already bounces around two hours of walks per day, split over three walks. He is 5 1/2 months. In the house he is always upto something, and sleeps only two hours in the day.

I'm wondering just how more energetic he's going to get!

Is yours better off lead? Mine went thru a stage of not walking on the lead at all......and yes a trip to the vets would put your mind at rest.

xx

Offline JulieM

Florence is nearly 6 months and is quite lazy too!

She does a half hour and a 15 minute walk a day and spends the rest of the day asleep, chewing or pottering around the house after us. I checked with our breeder and she said her Mum is like that too so perhaps she's genetically lazy!

Offline black taz

Wow, cannot believe how lightly some of you get away with.  Mine (show cocker and a working lab) get at least 1 1/2 hours walks a day, plus playing in the garden.  This does suit Taz (cocker) but the lab would go for much longer given the chance (which she gets at weekends).

It may be that she is just a laid back dog, but for peace of mind i would probably just get a vet to have a quick check over if you are concerned.

Offline karen488

Darcey is not a bonkers cocker (5 1/2 months) but she does enjoy her walks. She walks slowly for the first part but gradually seems to wake up. We have loads of diff walks around us and I vary the routes and starting points a lot.  Wonder if they're not keen that you can get stuck in a vicious circle.????

Offline Victoria25

• Donator
  • Perfect Poppy (almost!)
Dont get me wrong. Poppy has, and happily does, at least 1 1/2 of walks a day at least 3 separate times. She just doesn't ask for them! :005:
Poppy is now one! Watch her first year!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVqf3TnIL6c

Offline JulieM

Sounds so like Florence- happy to walk when you get her going...but I literally have to carry her out of the door otherwise she won't leave the house  :005:

Offline rubyduby

We had a Cocker who was very laid back from being a puppy and was reluctant to walk she would rather lie or sleep,,,we (too late) discovered she had kidney problems .
Sorry dont want to worry you, but I wished someone had said this too me with my girl she might have lived past 7 yrs