Author Topic: How to stop his Tigger behaviour? - update cant take anymore.  (Read 2733 times)

Offline choccietoby

Toby is now 5 months and nothing I do will stop him bouncing all over people when we are out on a walk, aside from keeping him on the lead of course, which I dont want to have to do.  He has a fairly good recall, so long as there is nothing too smelly taking his attention away.

He LOVES people, he thinks everybody must want to make a fuss of him and goes manic as soon as anybody does say hello to him, jumping up constantly at them, even if he's done well and come back when called, he still then flies back to them and jumps up again.  Off doesnt seem to work, although he knows it at home.  

Most people, particularly if they have dogs themselves are understanding and say dont worry and many people on our walk route with dogs know him well, so call him over and are carrying treats, which he gets  ;) which makes him even more nuts! But when he's wet and muddy which is 90% of the time as he goes straight into the stream and gets soaked every walk, it is embarrassing as he leaves wet/muddy paw prints all over his poor victims.  I love that he is sooo friendly and dont want to change that, but how can I teach a reliable 'down' command?  

Offline Sara750S

• Toby
Re: How to stop his Tigger behaviour?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 12:03:44 PM »
Sounds like this Toby too.... :huh:

Offline choccietoby

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 12:23:34 PM »
Its nice to know its not just mine  :P

Offline Emma3

• Emma and Bella
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 01:32:57 PM »
Do you take him to puppy class? If you do the KC good citizens awards, "meet and greet" is one of the things they'll help you work on.

An excercise that should help:

Stand with Toby on lead. Have an assistant be you interesting stranger. Get them to walk towards you while Toby sits calmly by your side. As soon as he starts to get over-excited/ pull towards them/ jump up/ etc, have your assistant stop and turn their back and fold their arms. When he is calm again they can continue walking towards you. Repeat, repeat, repeat. When your assistant can reach toby with him still calm get them to quietly and calmly praise, greet him and treat. This should teach him that he only gets to say hello to people if he remains calm. Hope this helps.

Offline choccietoby

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 02:56:44 PM »
No I dont do puppy classes.  Will try that though, thanks  :D

Offline Goggins

• Donator
  • Princess "Freya" Trucker (dob:25/03/2011)
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 03:24:44 PM »
 ;) I too have a bouncing Freya pup!!

Do you meet a few of the same people when out? Thankfully I do, and have finally managed to talk some of them into making Freya sit in front of them to be stroked and they are doing this whenever they see her. Its slowly working but I can understand the frustration especially when some dog owners actually encourage it  >:(

Good Luck though and Im sure you will all get there xx
Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 03:54:40 PM »
My Bronte is 3 and she's still like Tigger on speed ph34r
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline choccietoby

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 04:14:23 PM »
Yes we meet alot of the same other dog owners on our walks, as I say most of them dont mind and understand he is still a puppy, not sure how understanding they will be as he grows up more though  ph34r  Some see him in the distance and call 'Toby' and he goes running madly to them so in a way its their own fault, its the unsuspecting people who dont know him and he hurtles at them that can be a problem, particularly if they are not dog friendly and you can guarantee if they are wearing white they are a prime target  :lol2:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 05:29:09 PM »
Yes we meet alot of the same other dog owners on our walks, as I say most of them dont mind and understand he is still a puppy, not sure how understanding they will be as he grows up more though  ph34r  Some see him in the distance and call 'Toby' and he goes running madly to them so in a way its their own fault, its the unsuspecting people who dont know him and he hurtles at them that can be a problem, particularly if they are not dog friendly and you can guarantee if they are wearing white they are a prime target  :lol2:

That is the thing isn't it - what is sooo cute in a young pup is not always so when they have grown a bit. - Emma 3's post is a good idea, as hopefully it teaches them the right way to meet folks. Could you also perhaps have a word with the main culprits and explain what you are doing and why - hopefully they will help by NOT calling her.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 05:35:52 PM »
I had the same problem when walking Gemma, some of the regulars we meet thought I was 'being mean and harsh, she's only a baby' - now they are glad that they don't have 30 kg of wet labrador launching themselves at them , closely followed by 2 cocker missiles spaniels who are 'keen to greet'  ph34r :005:

Madame now sits, offers a paw (and gives the I've not been fed for weeks' eyes  ph34r :005:) and waits for a treat  :D
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline GeordieTon

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 06:57:34 PM »
I too have this problem with Lola. She just gets so exited when people say hi to her.

I haven't found a way of stopping her yet but she is getting better at responding when I call her. Could be worse, at least she's friendly  :blink:
My wife ran off with my best mate...

... I really miss him!

Offline black taz

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 07:15:01 PM »
welcome to my world - but in my case its with a 28kg lab (and Taz if he knows them).  Fortunately, i can manage most of the time to keep her on four feet unless they start talking to her, then she gets excited.  My biggest pain though are those that says "oh, she's all right" and carry on making a fuss of her whilst i am trying to get her down again.  I try to explain, but they just don't seem to get it >:D

Offline choccietoby

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 10:24:48 AM »
I sit here in tears as I type this post.

I have just been verbally abused by a woman because Toby jumped up (not wet, we hadnt gotten that far) at her and put paw prints on her white trousers. F'ing and blinding at me, even with her toddler with her.  I tried to apologise and explain but obviously she wasnt listening and continued shouting abuse at me as I caught Toby, put him back on the lead and tried to walk away in the other direction. I tried to say, this is my address, please get them dry cleaned and I will pay for it, but she was so awful that I had to walk away.  We cut short the walk, I didnt let him off again and I now dont think I will again, I cant cope with this anymore, along with the biting this has seriously had to make me think if a cocker is for us.  I cant cope with the hyperactivity, jumping 5ft in the air when he wants something he cant have, biting us, pulling on lead constantly and then this episode.  Its not like we dont do training with him, but he has the attention span of a gnat and non existant impulse control.  I think maybe he would be better off with a family more able to cope with him.

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
Re: How to stop his Tigger behaviour? - update cant take anymore.
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 10:37:13 AM »
Mags,
Put the kettle on and have a cuppa ;)
I would hazard a guess that most folks on here have
felt something similar on ocassions.
Really, don't despair he is only young still!
Go back to basics with your training, try a long
line and tasty treats to keep him with you.
Emma3 has given you a good excercise to do.
steffxxx

Offline tallulah0710

Re: How to stop his Tigger behaviour? - update cant take anymore.
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 10:37:48 AM »
Sorry that you are feeling this way about Toby  :'(

Have you tried any training classes with him? If you find a decent training class the trainers will be able to offer you advice and guidance on the problems you are having. You will meet other owners in the same boat. Some good solid obedience work will stand you in good stead if you want to go on and do any other activities with him, or just build on it for a well behaved adult dog.
These are problems that you can overcome but they will take hard work and commitment from you to acheive them. Good luck

Clare