Author Topic: How to stop his Tigger behaviour? - update cant take anymore.  (Read 2734 times)

Offline redlottie

Re: How to stop his Tigger behaviour? - update cant take anymore.
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 10:43:16 AM »
Please don't despair, I really feel for you as my Albie was just the same at this age.  He is now 11 months old and whilst not perfect is much, much better.

For us amongst other things we just made every effort to keep Albie away from areas where there were people and dogs for him to jump up.  We reverted to lots of lead walks on the roadside and park walks at stupid hours i.e. 6am in the morning, 9pm at night when there was far less people around. 

It was hardwork but we found by removing the opportunities by restricting him to lead walks or walks in isolation we didnt allow the situations to arise.  We then enrolled him in gun dog training to instill some discipline into him and worked on getting a reliable recall.  We then slowly introduced him back into situations where there were people and dogs slowly and 90% of the time now he is ok and if he does make a beeline for people we can get him back because of his recall.  As I said he still isnt perfect but we are getting there.  Please don't be too hard on yourself.

Good luck

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 10:47:47 AM »
Go out of the same room as Toby have a cup of tea and a biscuit and just relax. The nasty woman if she uses that sort of language when a child is about is not worth worrying about. If she is walking in an area where there are dogs she must expect at least one or two will want to greet her.

He doesn't understand what he has done wrong and just needs your guidance in this matter. The advice you have been given is just the right thing to do.

You haven't done anything wrong - who in their right might goes out wearing white trousers anyway????

:bigarmhug:

Offline tallulah0710

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 10:48:45 AM »

You haven't done anything wrong - who in their right might goes out wearing white trousers anyway????

Exactly  :lol2:

Offline Emma3

• Emma and Bella
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 11:00:20 AM »
Oh dear, I'm sorry you're feeling so miserable :-\. Everyone has times like this with a puppy, when you think "what have I done!" and wish you'd never got the dog at all. I'd really recommend a training class if you can find one, it will give you the motivation and encouragement to work on Toby's behaviour.

Do you use a flexi lead? When Bella is in season I walk her on a 5 metre one.

Offline dal55

• Cassie and her much loved ball
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 11:21:28 AM »
please don't give up on Toby. My little Cassie was always jumping up at people but it was mainly the ones that gave her treats. She does hundred mile dash to them !!. She is 2 1/2 now and rarely goes to anyone she doesn't recognise so there could be light at the end of the tunnel for you As someone has mentioned you may be as well (until he calms down ) to w alk him on a flexi lead as you will have control. In saying that ( i have a flexi lead) a Lab trainer I met at Sandringham Country fair loaths  flexi leads and said that they were the worst thing ever invented as there is always a pulling pressure on the dog. She recommned a long lunge rein  (as for ponies ) to play out or rewind or pull strongly to stop your dog running off after birds etc with a loud NO. She actually showed someone who had a "jumping up" massive dog to stop it by pulling quickly and decisively down on the lunge rein again with a loud NO. This honestly worked after a couple of goes. May not work for you but worth a try
I absolutely dread meeting anyone in white trousers !!!!!!!!!!! I have dressed like a tramp since Cass came into our lives

Offline choccietoby

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 11:39:27 AM »
Thank you all for calming me down a bit, Im a little less hysterical now.

Unfortunately the only training class Ive found round here is during the evening and I cant go as I dont have anyone to babysit my little boy.  I attended classes many years ago now with our JR Tilly, who was a handful but turned out to be the star of the class and Ive tried putting some of the things we learned (and I can remember) into practice with Toby, some work, obviously others dont right now.

He is completely oblivious and so he should be, its not his fault and is fast asleep next to me, legs akimbo  >:(

I do use a flexi lead, but dont like it, so when we are away from roads where we were today on open fields with a gravel path around (and a stream running through) he is off lead and he loves to run and let off steam, sniff and generally potter about and I hate seeing dogs unless necessary on leads when they love to run and play.  But I think its time until he calms down to keep him on it or get a long training lead and start to reinforce his recall and try the exercise given on here, as I cant take another incident like this. 

My sister made me laugh, she has 3 cockers, one working who nearly 2 still dives at people, but she assures me they do calm down a little, albeit not much and frankly the woman should be honoured that a cute puppy would want to play with her.  As I said to her though, he isnt exactly puppylike anymore, he is bigger already than some other cockers we see out on walks and is like a mad rabid whirling dervish most days.

Offline Goggins

• Donator
  • Princess "Freya" Trucker (dob:25/03/2011)
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2011, 12:14:48 PM »
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Im glad you are feeling a little better about things now...its never nice having someone verbally abuse you and in my opinion is disgusting especially in front of a young child too.

Please Please dont be disheartened...I think every woof I have owned since a pup I have wanted to give them away at least once before they reached their 1st b/day!! It Will get better and I know you will look back on your thread in a few months and wonder why you were so worried and angry and upset as he will be so much better....

please accept all my cyber hugs above as you are doing everything you can and remember: tomorrow is another day!!

Carol and Freya xxx
Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)

Offline black taz

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2011, 12:33:07 PM »
Glad you are feeling a little better - it does get to you though when people shout at you.

Toby is still very young, and yes in the long term you don't want him to be jumping up but you are trying to deal with it so it will get better.  Personally, i would talk to those who give him treat and ask them not to shout him and only reward when he is calm.  it may be best to use a long lead (you can get them off ebay) for now so that he cannot get to people at his speed.  I also agree with the lab training - rover leads are awful, i bet of those people who use them regularly only 10% have the dogs under control.

the gundog trainer i went to with Kira said that some spaniels take time to develop their concentration levels, so need very short sessions until they start to mature.

Some training club encourage children to attend as well (depending on age/behaviour).

Dont be too hard on yourself, how Taz managed not to get rehomed before he was 1 i will never know, i can think of at least half a dozen occasions when i would have willingly given him away, but is has just turned 4 and i would never part with him :luv:

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2011, 12:51:24 PM »
My cockers are now nearly 4. When they were younger I found most people found their tigger behaviour to be funny and it was me that got frustrated. I tried telling people to fold their arms and turn their backs but most people ignored it, fuelling their nutty behaviour  >:D So they had longlines when I was around people that I didn't know, and people who were willing to help (my sister, parents etc) helped with the turning their backs etc and this worked. They grew out of it. They have lapses occaisionally (usually when people are OTT with them).

It does get better honest!! But, while you're feeling disheartened I'll let you in on a funny  ph34r story from when they were youngsters. I was walking them in the forest on a lovely sunny day, they were tearing through streams having a wonderful time. There were families about but they were ignoring them. Rio dived into a stagnent pond, quickly followed by Roxy. They stank to the high heavens! Before I could get their leads out, they ran through a family having a very posh picnic. (I'm talking pristine gingham picnic rug, wicker hamper etc). So what did I do....ran for the hills in the opposite direction, hiding their leads pretending they weren't mine  ph34r ph34r ph34r ph34r ph34r ph34r I know it was wrong but I was cringing and dying of embaressment  ph34r ph34r ph34r Typically instead of coming back round, they ran straight back through the picnic to me.

Oh the shame!!  ph34r and yes, I do feel very bad!!

Offline dal55

• Cassie and her much loved ball
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2011, 12:56:10 PM »
Oooooooooooooh you are naughty !!

Offline choccietoby

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2011, 01:05:55 PM »
Hollyd443, you just had me in more tears - of laughter this time, hilarious and I will remember that for the future  :005: ;)

My little boy has Autism and wouldnt cope in a room with lots of strangers and dogs unfortunatley so taking him to a class isnt an option, wish they had daytime classes, but of course most people are at work during the day so I suppose it isnt possible.

Right, Ive cooked up some chicken breast, chopped into tiny pieces and am going to go back to basics with his recall on our afternoon walk, keeing him on the flexi-lead for now until Im more certain he will come back when people are around.  No people around and I know he will and even with dogs he isnt too bad, but a human means cuddles in his eyes and are too irresistable.  Wish me luck  :blink:  I shall have to go and remove him from the large hole he is digging in the garden 1st  >:D

Offline sallyb

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2011, 08:06:54 PM »
OK - my story of shame occurred 2 weeks ago.
We had walked our three dogs around a nearby moor (one I had only gone to once before)
We gathered our elderly lab and the puppy ready to put them in the car.
I then realised that my 4 yr old spaniel was missing.
I found her in the duck pond chasing the ducks.
I caught her 10 minutes later.
She was covered in green slime from head to stump.
there were loads of people tutting at me for having such a disobedient dog.
It took me three baths to get her clean and a further hour to clean the bathroom.

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2011, 08:14:36 PM »
I can't say anymore than the others have said really but I just wanted to let you know that I do sympathise. Puppies/young dogs are just horrors and my 2 have made me cry and also die of embarassment on several occasions  ph34r Most things you can work through together and you all come out stronger and with a better bond because of it.
There is a cracking dog in Toby he is just doing a good job of hiding it today. Keep your chin up  :-*

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2011, 08:36:52 PM »

Hi Toby looks a lot like our Dylan did at that age. He is now 10yrs so we did survive the puppy stage and three years later added another cocker spaniel :005:  Have you asked if the training club do 1-2-1 ?  Might be better for your son and perhaps he could join in with Tobys training.
Have you had a look at clicker training?    I have never let any one on a walk feed my dogs treats,  I just say my dogs have a dietary problem ;), I think I would ask people if if you have to be firm not to feed Toby treats.  A dog will go back to people if he thinks he is going to get a treat the WHIM factor " What's in it for me".   Good luck don't forget most of us have been there so we do understand how you feel.

Erica.

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2011, 10:14:40 PM »

- who in their right might goes out wearing white trousers anyway????

Ahem,i do  >:(....nice white linen ones for summer,but not for dog walking,no way  :lol2:

This happened a few weeks ago in my local park,a woman was walking along minding her own business a dog ran up and jumped up at her making her extremely dirty,she was livid,and i made her right really,though this wasn't a pup.
When Ruby was little I would call to people "if you stroke her she will jump up" i considered that fair warning  ph34r

I think the regulars that you know who he is running up to get treats from,have to be told in no un certain terms thanks but no treats for Toby as you are trying to train him not to jump up at people,and he should only be rewarded when four paws are on the floor.Imagine being Toby,all these walking treat dispensing machines around,all you have to do is jump up,and they shell out treats woohoo,i'm so excited....
Instead of him running round like a little excited nutter  :005: could you play games on your walk,do some recall,stays,you hide behind a tree so he learns to keep an eye on you etc.Things that will make people less interesting.
Most of all remember,he really is still a baby and frustrating as it may be the work/training you put in now will pay off later  ;)

Also,i agree with EmmaA puppies definately can be horrors  :lol2:
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.