Author Topic: How to stop his Tigger behaviour? - update cant take anymore.  (Read 2732 times)

Offline minimoo

• Donator
Re: How to stop his Tigger behaviour? - update cant take anymore.
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2011, 08:07:04 AM »
my first question is , what was the woman doing wearing white trousers  :005:, two of mine are always getting me in trouble, we go to the beach every day , the set up is theres an estuary river, grass path up some stones onto the beach and sea, this time of year there are picnicers campers (who arent supposed to camp there, people on the beach, i have had the dogs stealing food , running into tents and stealing more food, going up to sleeping sunbathers and giving them a very wet rude awakening  :005: :005:, it was just Ella who i adopted at just over two but shes teaching the pup naughty behaviour, its very frustrating sometimes as he is better behaved than her  >:( , i last had a holiday maker shouting at a lady with two cavs for going up to their yorkie , the man was telling this lady he wanted to keep clean , with that my two ran up soaking wet, he gave me a filthy look but didnt say anything as the lady with the cavs was talking to me, i just looked at him, and thought dont come down to the river with your dog expecting to stay clean and dry, silly man , please dont think you have to keep your dog on the lead all of the time, he will get better eventually and if you can walk him in places people walk dogs they shouldnt expect to stay clean, i look like a tramp sometimes when i walk my dogs, i had a big lab x poodle jump up and wind me the other day, but i didnt find it a problem he was only a pup and after my treats  ;) ;)
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2011, 09:51:54 AM »
I think quite a lot of us on here have felt exactly the same at one point or another, I know for sure I have on many many occasions.  I have had lots of dogs so after lots of research on cockers thought I had found the perfect dog for us as we are getting older, but still nothing prepared us for Selby, I like you have sat and cried lots believe me, and at times I certainly didn't like him or thought love him, after been bitten although my own fault and that's not an excuse, jumped all over, and the constant barking especially in the car, I can honestly say we have come out the other side, I now have a lovely little man, I just think cockers take longer than most to grow up and mature, I am not saying he is perfect not by any means but we are getting there.

I think what i am trying to say is don't be downhearted, he is only very young yet and. If you keep up the training you will reap the rewards ten times over with all the love they give you :luv:.

Big hugs for you and lots of hugs for the little doglet.

Offline choccietoby

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2011, 10:27:19 AM »
Thankyou everyone for your words of encouragement and reassurance  :luv:

We didnt manage a walk yesterday afternoon as a massive headache took hold, but I did do some quick training with him indoors, nothing more than 3-4 minutes at a time, as his attention levels dont allow for more or he just becomes hyper and barking.  But we did lots of 'sit-down-up-stand' repetitive stuff, which he does quite well, although the 'down' part needs more reinforcement  >:( and I even managed a 'stay' where I got about 8ft away from him, which is a record for him  :005: He then, despite not having a walk, slept most of the afternoon and evening (with the mad 5 minutes of course thrown in) and seems calmer today  ph34r The walk this morning, he stayed on the flexi-lead and came 95% of the time I called him, of course that means nothing if I let him off-lead, but I shall build up to that again when Ive got some confidence back in him. 

Also trying to teach my older children to ignore and turn their backs on his jumping up on them whenever they appear as he goes beserk as soon as he sees one of them (as they arent often here so doesnt see them regularly) and then to only give him attention when he is calm again, so hopefully that filters through his brain to be the same when outside  ;)

Again, thank you all for assuring me Im not the worst dog owner on the planet and dont have the worst puppy ever  :D

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2011, 10:42:15 AM »
I have just seen he is only 5 months, oh i remember those times vividly :005: Only another 12 months to go :005:.  Good luck, nice to hear you sound so positive today :luv:

Offline michelle77

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2011, 10:43:44 AM »
Louis has just moved in to exactly the same phase.   :'(

He bites, he leaps at OH and I when you least expect it, he constantly jumps up (but that is completely our fault, i it just sooo cute when he gives cuddles) just need to teach myself to let him calm down and then he can have cuddles on my terms and not his.  

He was out walking the other day on the lead and popped his lovely dirty paws on a man in beige chinos  >:D he was not impressed

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2011, 10:58:13 AM »
Jarvis was like this - it was our own fault, we didn't mind it with us but he couldn't discern between jumping on us or other people so he was getting mixed messages.  He does it far far less now, and only on people who he knows and loves  ;)

2 notable occasions - 1 - the woman with white silk trousers on walking her dog on a rainy day (why why why?)

and 2 -  at OH's workshop where he covered a man's beige trousers with mud and dirt (OH only realised afterwards that Jarv was leaping on the man's false leg and he hadn't felt or seen him  ph34r )

If you don't want him jumping at all you all need to be consistent  ;)

helen & jarvis x

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2011, 11:36:44 AM »
the woman with white silk trousers on walking her dog on a rainy day (why why why?)

(just using your quote as an example)
With all due respect and as much as I understand puppy/dog behaviour (I have got a 6-months old cocker myself at the moment), we sure can't expect everyone to dress for other dog owners? If I walk somewhere regardless of whether I walk through a busy park or not, the last thought on my mind is whether I am dressed adequately should someone else's dog jump up on me... As much as I know accidents happen (and my dogs sure are no saints either), I would not expect anyone to dress with other people's dogs in mind... I sure wouldn't! If I want to walk through a park in white clothes surely I should be able to able to do so without ending up with muddy trousers...  >:( And if I did, I would expect to be allowed to be annoyed about it and I sure would expect a sincere appology! Just like I would be mortified if my dogs did that to someone... I even appologise if they leave muddy paw prints on dog walking friends that are already muddy.
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Goggins

• Donator
  • Princess "Freya" Trucker (dob:25/03/2011)
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2011, 11:44:08 AM »
 ;) I have read the comments such as a "why why why" as a tongue in cheek comment like "isnt it just typical the one person it happens to is someone wearing white" not that people shouldnt go out in their best clothes etc etc

Thats just how "I" have interpreted the other peoples comments made so far...

;) Im sure everyone on here would apologise for any muddyness on other peoples clothes/dogs etc...
Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)

Offline tallulah0710

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2011, 07:59:18 PM »
the woman with white silk trousers on walking her dog on a rainy day (why why why?)

(just using your quote as an example)
With all due respect and as much as I understand puppy/dog behaviour (I have got a 6-months old cocker myself at the moment), we sure can't expect everyone to dress for other dog owners? If I walk somewhere regardless of whether I walk through a busy park or not, the last thought on my mind is whether I am dressed adequately should someone else's dog jump up on me... As much as I know accidents happen (and my dogs sure are no saints either), I would not expect anyone to dress with other people's dogs in mind... I sure wouldn't! If I want to walk through a park in white clothes surely I should be able to able to do so without ending up with muddy trousers...  >:( And if I did, I would expect to be allowed to be annoyed about it and I sure would expect a sincere appology! Just like I would be mortified if my dogs did that to someone... I even appologise if they leave muddy paw prints on dog walking friends that are already muddy.

The OP said she did apologise as i'm sure any of us would. Think we were just all trying to make light of the situation and cheer her up!  :lol2:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2011, 08:07:27 PM »
absolutely  ;)

....and Vera, the woman in the silk trousers was walking a dalmation....who had no qualms about jumping on ME (although as I was dressed in dog walking jeans this wasn't as heinous a crime as of course my spaniel committed on the white silk trousers  ph34r )

of COURSE I apologised and did all I could to stop him...as any owner on this thread would....but I have to say I didn't get an apology for my muddy jeans in return from her  ph34r

Also, to get it back into context - this wasn't a park in a city,  this was in a muddy field filled with horses and horse dung in Wiltshire.

I'm a bit affronted that you would think I wouldn't apologise and would condone this behaviour  :huh:
helen & jarvis x

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2011, 08:09:24 PM »
My Ruby is a lively little cricket, the only thing I can do, obviously I live in a great place to do it' is to take her on a good long off-lead walk , then take her into civilisation when she is zonked...

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2011, 11:55:46 PM »
I'm a bit affronted that you would think I wouldn't apologise and would condone this behaviour  :huh:

I am sorry if it came across as that (I did say I just quoted your post as an example therefore I thought indicating that it wasn't directed at you personally); I didn't think people would not appologise and I didn't think anyone would condone the behaviour... that wasn't my intention hence why people are discussing how to avoid the situation by managing and training. I was just a bit surprised that people seemed to almost take offence if other people weren't dressed appropriately! But it looks like I just read it all wrong... for which I appologise too.  :D

Of course the woman with the dally had every reason to appologise too... there's no question about that.
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2011, 07:33:50 AM »
Helen has put it perfectly, if i had my dog in town and he/she jumped up at someone in white trousers i would be very apologetic, but surely someone in a field or at the beach or river shouldnt be suprised to get wet or muddy regardless of a dog jumping at them or not, the man i met had this scared little yorkie on a leash and he was dressed for town not the river side, very unreasonable , to the OP your pup is only a baby so dont get too worried we have all been there, and remember if you dont let him off he wont be able to learn how to come back to you  ;) ;)
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy