Author Topic: Advice on puppy biting feet - biting harder!  (Read 3233 times)

Offline Neon

• Donator
Re: Advice on puppy biting feet - biting harder!
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2011, 06:55:34 PM »
Just been "attacked" after giving the piranah his tea  >:(  He was ripping my trousers and biting my toes.  I went into hurt puppy mode and made little whimpering noises, turning my back on him, but the beast just walked round to my front and started again.  Encouraged him outside to play but he proceeded to rip the heads off the few remaining flowers on the patio.  So, decided on time out and put him in his crate for 30 seconds.  He came out and started the whole thing again  >:D.  UGGGGGGGG - where's the pliers  :005:

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2011, 07:15:37 PM »
 :rofl1: :rofl1: sorry  ph34r

It reminded me of Ruby,she used to lap the garden and snap the heads off of flowers as she whizzed by,while i stood there with smoke coming out of my ears  >:D,deep breath and count to ten Neon............

Maybe it's time to buy a baby gate  :shades:
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline Misty Roan

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2011, 07:22:17 PM »
Oh dear, :005:.  Guess you need a new plan Neon.

I'm preparing my defence, Misty has gone to bed! :angel:
I suspect she is gathering her strength for later.  :005:  Will let you know.
Misty 3.6.2011 - 1.11.2016

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2011, 07:31:26 PM »
We have the stair gate and meshing over the flower tubs to prevent intensive digging in them  :005:and of course no flowers in them-hanging baskets only!!

Offline seaangler

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2011, 07:35:40 PM »
So for whats its worth so far READING the post so far and into books Does not all ways work...Even by the professionals behaviorist to my reckoning :D

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline pennylopey

• Alfie 26/05/2011 - 31/07/2020
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2011, 10:08:50 AM »
Well, I haven't conducted full research yet, but this morning Alfie clamped down on my hand (I was trying to distract him with a toy!!) and I pulled my hand back then made a doggy-cry noise. I tried to mimic the noise Alfie makes when he's having a time out! He cocked his head a couple of times then lay down across the room watching me suspiciously.

Five minutes later he bit my big toe...but I got five minutes!!! :rofl:

We'll see how it works out..

Penny
Missing Alfie 26/05/2011 - 31/07/2020

Offline Misty Roan

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2011, 10:24:31 AM »
Sounds like Snoo could be our expert  :blink: .  As previous post Misty went to bed before her 20:00 meal and showed no signs of getting up.  I woke her up to go out and she went straight back to bed. I was worried she would wake up and then be manic until the early hours or wake me at ridiculous a.m.  but decided to skip meal and let her sleep. Had to wake her to go to bed. :005:  She then slept until I awoke at 05:00, let her out, went back to bed til 07:00  :banana:  So perhaps she is over-tired on an evening. I assumed puppies would just sleep when tired  :huh:.  Anyway, big morning this morning, first walk, went really well and when we got back she was hyper.  So after last night decided she MUST be tired so just put her to bed.  Peace in seconds.  :angel:  Seems puppies don't always know when they need to sleep. ;).   Fingers crossed this is a good start to calming down.  Also tried quiet cry once, seemed to work too.

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2011, 10:34:25 AM »
Well done Avis.  I will carry on with Snoo's advice.  Toby was a little **** this morning  >:( made worse by the rain which meant his demented time had to happen in the kitchen instead of outside.  Had a floor full of stones and ripped flower heads.  He was hanging off my trousers and just adores sinking his fangs into my big toe.  I think I've come up with the answer though - time out doesn't apply to him any more, it applies to me!  I get in his crate and close the door until he calms down!!!   :lol: :lol:  (only joking but if it was big enough, I would!)

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Misty Roan

• Donator
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2011, 10:43:45 AM »
 :rofl1: :rofl1:

Oh Neon, I do sympathise really, but I want that photo.

Offline Snoo

• Clover, DOB 17/05/11
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2011, 10:46:31 AM »
@pennylopey: I probably should also have mentioned a tip I read somewhere about trying NOT to drag the hand away when pup bites as with their razor sharp teeth it probably does more damage than if you can bear to leave it in the pup's grip but whimper immediately and hopefully pup will stop and release immediately too, and look a bit apologetic! You can then let pup think about it for a minute or so and then offer toy and love again - it's not a miracle cure but it does make them stop and think a bit and will teach them that our skin is a lot more delicate than their toys, lol!!! ;)

@avis:Gosh, Misty did have a good sleep, didn't she, but you are so right when you say that they don't seem to realise when they themselves need sleep! And they do need a fair bit in the day, despite sleepng all night. Clover wakes up for breakfast, has a little game and a fuss and then is quite happy to go back to sleep in her crate (or under my desk!) until I have got myself presentable for the day and done a few upstairs chores. I'm really chuffed for you that more snooze sessions may help, and whimpering may make her notice when she is hurting you - fingers crossed. Glad the first walk went well too - it's great to see them enjoying the outside world - I just love watching Clover when she is quartering the ground in an open space, though she is not always so good on our pavement-less village roads - hard job keeping her on the inside of me but it will come eventually I'm sure!  Happy puppy walking! And hopefully more peaceful evenings!  :005:

@Neon: Just seen your post - you made me giggle out loud at the thought of getting in the crate - what a great idea for a bit of peace, lol!!! Would really confuse the puppies too if we did that!!!  Have to admit I have had to play longer with Clover this morning to tire her out a bit with it being so wet outside. Hopefully a brighter afternoon is on its way and we can go out for a walk and/or a good blast in the garden! Thankfully plenty of room out there to charge around even if she does grab at all the plants and wreck them!
To know them is to love them.....

Offline Misty Roan

• Donator
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2011, 10:53:04 AM »
Re sleeping - I think I had too much of a routine, out, feed, play, sleep in about 3 or 4 hour cycles, just never thought that after a full day she might actually be as tired as me by evening.  :005:  Anyway hope this is the answer, thanks again everyone for the advice.