Author Topic: Will Woody go through the night?  (Read 374 times)

Offline Davyboy16

• Jasper 2002-2011, miss ya mate.
Will Woody go through the night?
« on: November 25, 2012, 03:52:37 PM »
Hi, Woody is now 17 weeks old and doing well. He has settled in fine and goes to bed in his crate without a problem, at about 3 to 4am he cries to be let out. This is what I want to stop now, so my question is should he be at an age now when he should be able to hold his need to toilet at this time?

If we just ignored his crying would he get through to 6.30 when we get up, I know we might have some accidents but I don't mind if it is only a couple. If I  do keep getting up to let him out will this just become a habit for him or is it too early to expect him to go through the night?

So should I carry on letting him out or should I leave him until 6.30? :huh:

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
Re: Will Woody go through the night?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 04:03:06 PM »
My pup started going through the night at about 17 weeks - when he went to stay with my mum for a few days. It only lasted a week, though, and was then back to waking up early, around 5ish. He was back to all the way through a few weeks later, but then we went away and he woke in the night then a few times. About 6 weeks ago (at 23 weeks, he started sleeping through properly (past 8am some days), and we also decided after a few days of that to leave the crate door open - has been fine ever since. Sometimes I now wake him up (having woken up myself and worrying that there's no noise from him...)

Obviously all dogs are different. I'd give leaving him a go - see how he does. If it doesn't work out, then just see it through and remember that he will grow out of it eventually. Could you also try a different routine? Take him somewhere new?

Offline Honormum

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 04:47:21 PM »
Really hard to answer!

Teddy is 15 weeks and has been going through the night 11pm-7.30am since he was 10 weeks. He never whined in the night anyway - we'd just get up when we heard him on the newspaper in his crate (he slept in our bedroom until he was 13 weeks).

Could Woody be getting cold? Does something wake him up - other than needing to go out?

I'm going to guess that all puppies are like babies - they all sleep through at different times. Maybe the toileting is a red herring for another reason for him waking? Does he settle straight away after you've taken him out?

I think you need to decide whether he's ok to mess in his crate, or whether you want to crate train him as such - they are 2 different things in a way. If you've always got up to him whining, it might be unfair to suddenly stop - he will be confused, perhaps?

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 04:52:26 PM »
Hi, Woody is now 17 weeks old and doing well. He has settled in fine and goes to bed in his crate without a problem, at about 3 to 4am he cries to be let out. This is what I want to stop now, so my question is should he be at an age now when he should be able to hold his need to toilet at this time?

If we just ignored his crying would he get through to 6.30 when we get up, I know we might have some accidents but I don't mind if it is only a couple. If I  do keep getting up to let him out will this just become a habit for him or is it too early to expect him to go through the night?

So should I carry on letting him out or should I leave him until 6.30? :huh:

There is no 'set age' that a puppy can hold their toilet during the night....we have had 6 puppies over the years & they all have been different in that dept.  :police:
Georgia was probably the easiest & from almost the day she came home at 9 wks she pretty much lasted the night....Nina was still needing the overnight toilet break at 5+ mths.
I'm sure that one day very, very soon Woody will surprise you & not need the early morning call  :shades:
Atm it probably seems to you that it will go on forever but they all eventually go through the night  ;)  Just hang on in there  :005:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline nathandoglover

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 10:42:38 PM »
I would say "give it a go" and see how it goes, and actually think you will be pleasantly surprised!! Lily is 16 weeks old and sleeps 11 till 7 without messing her crate and has done for the last 5 weeks :-) if you don't try, you will never know - good luck!