Author Topic: flatulence  (Read 2180 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
flatulence
« on: January 15, 2017, 05:31:52 PM »
Does anyone have any tips re flatulence please? Humphrey's fed raw and I DIY it, the mix depends on what I can get and what's in season. I mixed up 3 weeks supply on Friday but although he's eating it, he's suddenly started "popping off"  ;) rather a lot. I don't think there's anything wrong with the food - (although I did add wholegrain rice this time, which I've never done before, ) so I don't want to ditch it  but don't fancy having to fling the windows open for the next 3 weeks!   :020:(sorry, couldn't find a nose holding emoticon!! :005:)
All suggestions gratedully received!!  :005:

Offline tenaille

Re: flatulence
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 06:02:40 PM »
sorry no help here as Martha has been the same for a couple of weeks !!  ph34r
She is fed twice a day with half kibble with a wet topping and boy she could clear a football stadium, generally in the evening.
Otherwise no symptoms except poops a bit soft.   :o

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 06:05:49 PM »
I feed raw but do not add rice of any kind - it's a carb that they don't need.  If his problem has only started since you have given him rice then cut it out until you know for sure.  It might help to get some Kefir from the supermarket it is like a goats Milk yoghurt it should get his gut back to normal.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 06:10:13 PM »
I wonder if it's an age thing. Henry has started dropping silent-but-deadly farts in the last month, which he never did before and nothing in his diet has changed. It's usually around the same time of day (early evening). He managed to drive our lodger out of the room the other day!
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 06:11:01 PM »
Farting is something fermenting inside.....it could be rice or other grain, or vegetable like cabbage.
Farting with rumbling and the runs would be caused by  gut infection.  Go back to what worked before!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 06:34:22 PM »
I feed raw but do not add rice of any kind - it's a carb that they don't need.  If his problem has only started since you have given him rice then cut it out until you know for sure.  It might help to get some Kefir from the supermarket it is like a goats Milk yoghurt it should get his gut back to normal.

Thanks Pat, do you give any carbs at all or just meat and veg/fruit?
I'll give the Kefir a try too!

Offline Markr64

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 07:08:19 PM »
Hi Jayne, may I suggest that you do not light any matches near Humphrey or he might turn into a rocket dog.  ;)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 08:00:43 PM »
Hi Jayne, may I suggest that you do not light any matches near Humphrey or he might turn into a rocket dog.  ;)

:005:  :005: - think I'd better move him away from the hearth aswell!! 💥💥

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 08:16:13 PM »
Mine have cooked mashed sweet potatoes,which are easy to digest  plus green beans,maŷbe  carrot.  They also share fruit with me!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 09:17:56 PM »
Mine have cooked mashed sweet potatoes,which are easy to digest  plus green beans,maŷbe  carrot.  They also share fruit with me!

HUmphrey's had most vegetables, I cook potatoes and sweet potatoes, all the others - e.g, beetroots pumpkin, carrots etc are grated and then liquidized and have never had a problem, he also eats apples, melon and bananas so I'm  thinking now that it must be the rice. I'll leave it off for a couple of days and give us all (literally) a breather  ;) and then feed him the rest just now and again (when I can leave the windows open for longer!  :005: :005:)
Thanks for your input everyone!!

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 10:16:09 PM »

Most days no cards but a few times a week she gets blueberries, banana, sweet potato and carrots depending on what I have in.  I add about a table spoon of kefir with apple cider vinegar, coconut oil, Milk thistle etc on her tripe days to hide the "extras"  ;)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 07:18:43 AM »

Most days no cards but a few times a week she gets blueberries, banana, sweet potato and carrots depending on what I have in.  I add about a table spoon of kefir with apple cider vinegar, coconut oil, Milk thistle etc on her tripe days to hide the "extras"  ;)

👍 Thankyou!

Offline lescef

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 10:38:03 AM »
I would suggest it's the rice too. His system might adjust to it but as Pat said, they really don't need carbs.
They used to say feed them charcoal biscuits! You can still buy them - showing my age here I think!! :005:
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 12:22:30 PM »
I would suggest it's the rice too. His system might adjust to it but as Pat said, they really don't need carbs.
They used to say feed them charcoal biscuits! You can still buy them - showing my age here I think!! :005:

you're not on your own - I remember those too! Thanks

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 12:36:10 PM »

you're not on your own - I remember those too! Thanks

Yes me too, I remember them. I watched an episode of Bondi Vet recently and at SASH they used a charcoal mixture to flush some poor little dog's system (can't remember all the details but it was rather messy, but importantly the dog survived.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.