Author Topic: rowdy pup  (Read 881 times)

Offline john

rowdy pup
« on: January 23, 2017, 05:23:46 PM »
Hi, I have a 17 week old cocker pup named George. Nearly everyday he has a mad spell. can be 5 mins to 15 mins were he gets really aggressive for a pup you can see the nastyness on his face ,he bites and i cannot seem to calm him down.  Then as soon as he's done he just stops, and is his normal loving self. It may sound strange  but its always  seems to be around tea time between 4 and 7. He attends puppy school and our trainer syas its natural for a pup as he is playing. I've had a cocker before and 2 springers but never know behaviour like this. He has regular walks everyday, but does not seem keen to go out for a walk. I try distraction but until  he has blown off steam nothing works. Any ideas or info would be welcome.

Offline Ambler54

Re: rowdy pup
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 05:52:20 PM »
Cocker Zoomies...just embrace the mad moment.Appears to be very common, Rosie would use the lounge like a wall of death using the settee as a launch pad.Its as if they have this pent up energy that needs to be released.She would have us in stitches.Its just a phase, will pass, just enjoy it for now.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 06:00:44 PM »
Evening zoomies. Quite normal! It's best just to let them run it off, in my experience (which isn't as extensive as many others here, I hasten to add!).
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 06:07:49 PM »
I would try to get another sleep in around 3pm, he could be over tired which can turn a very nice puppy into a  >:D

Other things to consider is amount of excercise and some believe in the type of food ie Bakers caused Bea to go MAD

Hope it gets sorted soon.

Sharon.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 06:20:40 PM »
Yep, evening Zoomies, could almost set the clock by them when Humphrey was little,  :005: it really is very normal at that age. How long are his walks? Could he be getting a little overtired? They do need a lot of rest and sleep still at that age and can get quite fractious if they don't get enough, which could be the cause of, what you describe as "nastiness" Humphrey was also never over enthusiastic about going for walks either during the first few months, perhaps he's still just a bit overwhelmed by the world outside, or a little nervous? We just took it slowly and kept the walks short but tried to gentle encourage him investigate things, jump over little things etc, to build his confidence and make the walks a bit more exciting. Hope that helps?
Welcome to the forum by the way - look forward to hearing more about little George! BEst of luck!

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 07:07:16 PM »
Sounds perfectly normal - just watch and enjoy it - he will grow out of it soon enough :005:

He is not being nasty or aggressive, but a perfectly normal puppy.  If he is bitey, then try putting a toy in his mouth.  They don't call them Cockerdiles for nothing  :lol2:

He may be overtired though, so make sure he gets enough quiet and sleep.  People often find they are trying so hard to tire their puppy out that they end up overtiring them and making things worse.   Certain foods (with lots of additives for example) can make a pup a bit hyper too.
Julie and Watson

Offline barney165

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 08:10:46 PM »
Barney does this and we have two big puppy toys he takes all his energy out on. It's about knowing when he's in the mood for them and then letting him bite, hump and destroy them - and not us!  Look out for the Danish Made octopus and monkey toys online or in pet shops. The bigger the better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Koslg

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 09:11:35 PM »
Aaaaah. On Friday we had two minutes of mad zoomies. Mines now six. Reminded of him being a pup when he'd jump and zoom between two opposite sofas nearly tipping them. Never thought it would end. Now I'm like aaah bless. Remember those days.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 10:03:22 PM »
Ah, cocker zoomies. I remember them well  :fear2:
In fact it was today, and my girl is almost 6  :005:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----